Author Topic: Stephen William Ensor Birmingham England / New York.  (Read 817 times)

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
Stephen William Ensor Birmingham England / New York.
« on: Sunday 11 October 15 23:29 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the death date of my 3x great uncle Stephen William Ensor who arrived in America in 1902 with his first wife. they were living in The Bronx on the 1910 census, he went back to England after his wife died. He returned to America on the S.S. Cedric in 1923. He married Agnes Henkenhof 2 November 1925 in Manhatten. They are in New York 1930 Census.                                   Stephen William Ensor was born in Birmingham England on 1st November 1869. His parents were Emma Spilsbury and Stephen  Ensor.    Thank you.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen William Ensor Birmingham England / New York.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 October 15 13:24 BST (UK) »
It's worth noting that they were in Newfield, Tompkins Co., New York in 1930.  This location is many hours away from the Bronx and Manhattan.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 October 15 13:33 BST (UK) »
Agnes appears to be a widow in the 1940 census - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KQ54-C73

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 October 15 15:47 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your replies. I was interested to see where Stephen and Agnes were living in 1930, and I now know he passed away between then and 1940.    Stephen and his siblings lost their parents by the end of 1881,and he certainly seems to have spread his wings a little further than the others. Thanks.

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 09:41 BST (UK) »
following on from the information you kindly gave me yesterday can if ask if Stephen William Ensors death would likely to have been registered in America under his birth registration name of Stephen William Ainsworth? he used Ensor throughout his life . (There are various threads on Rootschat Warwickshire England boards that explain the use of Ainsworth /Ensor names). I didn't want to complicate things in my first post as Stephen went to America as Ensor and used that name throughout his time there. I'm just wondering if officialdom required his death be registered as Ainsworth. Thanks for any help you can give.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 11:09 BST (UK) »
The US does not have any nationwide death registration.  Death records for this time frame would be held by the state and town/city where the death occurred.  Assuming he died in the state of New York, there is nothing comprehensive online for death records there in this time frame. 

There is a library that will do look-ups in the NY state death index as explained here - http://www.unyg.com/blog/index.php/2008/03/new-york-state-vital-records-microfiche-indexes-update/  But they typically look for a maximum of 5 years at a time.

If that doesn't pan out, you could try to contact the Newfield library to see if they have any guidance - http://www.newfieldpubliclibrary.org/

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 13:03 BST (UK) »
thank you very much for all your help.