Author Topic: John HALLETT, clockmaker of Lyme Regis, born c.1783, died c.1842  (Read 7214 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John HALLETT, clockmaker of Lyme Regis, born c.1783, died c.1842
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 08:37 BST (UK) »
If John Hallett died in 1842, he should be on the 1841 census, but I can't see him. Has anyone found him?
I can see a Susan of similar age to John with two younger Hallett girls who could be her daughters, but no John in the household.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Clarkey500

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flag of Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 11:21 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage in Beaminster for a John Hallett to a Susannah Manning on the 19 July 1809. Maybe the Hayward connection could be from somewhere else.  :-\
Devon: Bibby, Bird, Chaplin, Davey, Littlejohns, Pope, Shire, Sloman, Tucker
Dorset: Gauler
Gloucestershire: Gauler
Hampshire: Kimber
London: Crump, Gauler
Middlesex: Crump
Monmouthshire: Brunt
Northumberland: Bibby
Somerset: Clarke, Dibble, Duddridge, Parsons, Pool, Poole, Shire, Silvester
Surrey: Clarke
Wiltshire: Gauler

GEDmatch (myself): A869547
GEDmatch (my maternal grandfather):A933749
GEDmatch (my maternal grandmother): NY7596565

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 11:59 BST (UK) »
Baptism in Beaminster
John son of John & Susan Hallett  baptised 19 Sep 1810 born 24 Sep 1809. Looks like first child of that marriage.
Is John the clockmaker known to have a son John b 1809?

Added
Just noticed baptism of John Hayward Hallett in Lyme, born on 27 Sep 1809.

Either two different John / Susan Hallett couples both having a son John born Sep 1809.

Or (wild idea!) same John jnr baptised twice: once within a few weeks of birth in Lyme where the family was living and a second time when he was a year old in Beminster where the family originated from. They could easily have made a slight error with his birth date when one of the baptisms was recorded.

John and Susannah Hallett have a son James baptised in Beaminster in 1813. Father's occupation Blacksmith.
So not the right marriage for Lyme couple.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 12:14 BST (UK) »
Burial in Beaminster
Robert son of John & Susanna Hallett an Infant buried 24 Jan 1812
I can't see a baptism for Robert at Beaminster

Added
Back in Lyme, John and Susan baptised Richard Frederic on 19 Jan 1812, he was born on 20 dec 1811, Richard Frederick  died in 1828. Newspaper reports say he was John's second son.

So there are two John and Susan Hallett couples one in Beaminster and one in Lyme Regis.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 12:38 BST (UK) »
May be connected

In the Dorset County Chronicle 27 Nov 1828, report of death in London of Mrs Hayward Hallett of Lyme.

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 19:12 BST (UK) »
If John Hallett died in 1842, he should be on the 1841 census, but I can't see him. Has anyone found him?
I can see a Susan of similar age to John with two younger Hallett girls who could be her daughters, but no John in the household.
That is the right Susan I think as, next to her name, is 'wife of watch m' although it is crossed out.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 08:39 BST (UK) »
Well done, I couldn't read what was crossed out on this small screen, could only get "wife of ...". So I wonder where he was. I can't see Susan on the 1851 census. There is a death for a Susan Hallett in Q1 1843 in Axminster district, but looking at Lyme Regis burials for that quarter she doesn't appear, and there is a Susanna Hallett buried in Thorncombe 26 Feb 1843, so it's likely to be that one.
But there's no Susan/na in Thorncombe in 1841 of the right age, so it could be her and she moved out of Lyme after John's death, maybe she had a married son or daughter there, it's only 10 miles north of Lyme.  See addition below

For elimination:
The Susanna in Shilling Okeford in 1841 looks like she's the one buried in Shillingstone on 24 Jan 1842. There's a Susan in Beaminster but she survives through to 1861 (probably the one from the marriage earlier in this thread).

Added

Just found a Susanna in Thorncombe in 1841 (down as Devon not Dorset, but still Axminster district). She's a better match in age for the Susanna who was buried there in 1843.
So still left with the mystery of what happened to Susanna wife of John the clockmaker.

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 16:45 BST (UK) »
I have attached the newspaper report and prison entry for the theft from John Hallett in 1812; James Martin appears to have been working for him as a watchmaker. He was originally sentenced to death but that seems to have been commuted to transportation.

These two links relate to documents at the Dorset History Centre:
 http://dcc.dorsetforyou.com/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=D-LRM%2fA%2f7%2f2&pos=2
http://dcc.dorsetforyou.com/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=D-LRM%2fA%2f7%2f1&pos=1

One of them mentions a James Hallett, watchmaker; but I think that is a misprint. What both these and the newspaper cutting show, though, is that John Hallett was an established, well-off businessman by 1812, which makes it odd that we can't find any mention of him before that (except for the two baptisms), including any apprenticeship.

At the moment I don't think we have any evidence that John married Susannah Hayward, ** but that surname does appear in two of their children's names (including the first). I wonder whether the Hayward actually came from John (ie he was originally a Hayward and then became Hallett). I came across this marriage which is tantalisingly close to fitting what we want.

1806 Bridport
John Hayward and Susanna Gill
Witness: George Hallett

The more likely answer is that he was always a Hallett, but this may be worth exploring.

Richard

** This may have come from an Australian death certificate as one of their children (John Hayward Hallett emigrated to Adelaide. The other child with Hayward in his name appears to have made it to London as he died there in 1828 aged only 19.
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 17:14 BST (UK) »
There was a baptism of a John Hayward Hallett in 1799 also in Bridport, parent Daniel and Martha.