Author Topic: Arthur O'Keefe and his wife Catherine.  (Read 642 times)

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Arthur O'Keefe and his wife Catherine.
« on: Monday 12 October 15 21:44 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the marriage of Arthur O'Keefe and his wife Catherine in Ireland.  They first appear in the English Census of 1861 in St. Pancras.  They are my great great grandparents on my father's side.  Their first daughter Mary was born in Ireland in 1839/40.  The next two were born in Ireland (no place indicated) Kate in 1842 and Julia in 1846, the next one Margaret was born in Cork in 1848, and the last child Helen was born in Camden Town in 1852.

I know Irish genealogy is fraught with pitfalls.  I have already used some of the links on this site, but have come up with a blank because I have no information on where they lived or their religion.  I only know that my great grandmother Julia was married in a CofE church in England, as was her daughter, my grandmother Martha, who married William Woolton.

My only hope is that someone might also be researching this family in England.  They probably arrived between 1849 and 1852, so just missed the 1851 census.

Any leads would be gratefully received.

Honeybun   
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur O'Keefe and his wife Catherine.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi There

Do you have an occupation for Arthur ?

Tara

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 13:47 BST (UK) »
Maybe not your only hope! as this is a good possibility

There is a marriage in Mitchelstown of Arthur O'KEEFE & Cath O'BRIEN -LINK
zoom to top page on right
on Jan 23 1837

Although there are several marriages for an Arthur O'KEEFE (and variations) to a Catherine
This couple went on to have baptised
Aug 17 1839 Mary KEFFE LINK Mitchelstown
Jan 11 1842 Catherine O'KEEFE LINK Mitchelstown
1846 Julia - cannot see
Sep 20 1848 Margaret O'KEEFE Parish Brigown & Marshallstown (another name for Mitchelstown parish)

Have you located a civil record or baptism for Helen in 1852?
This could confirm her mother's name
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 15:24 BST (UK) »
This is fantastic information, and I'm pretty sure it is the right family because the birth records fit.  Thank you so much for looking all this up - I was getting nowhere.  Is there any way I can access Irish records online?

Arthur's occupation on the 1861 census was just "General Labourer".  The family were living in St. Pancras, London.  In 1871 Arthur was listed as "Porter" and in 1881 "Railway Servant" so he had risen a bit and obviously worked for the railways, still living in St. Pancras.

I don't have any birth record Helen for at the moment, will get on to that a.s.a.p.

Honeybun
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 18:29 BST (UK) »
Most of the big names in ancestry have Irish records.
familysearch.org is free and useful.
NLI.IE has free Catholic records but is not indexed.
Irishgenealogy.ie has all Civil and some church records. 
Searching using a combination of all of the above and more is best I find
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder