Author Topic: Help with Boer War records 1899-1902 James McHolm Scotland  (Read 3096 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Boer War records 1899-1902 James McHolm Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 October 15 06:32 BST (UK) »
Remember that two-thirds of WW1 records were lost during the London blitz. And if he did not serve overseas there will not be a medal card either.

Can you clarify the South Africa connection? Have you discounted the SA policeman? If not the enlistment papers are available in SA.

Ken

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 October 15 08:28 BST (UK) »
This in our archives:
DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    LIC                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 17                                                                   
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 691                                                                   
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          PARTICULARS OF CLAIM TO PENSION OR GRATUITY JC MCHOLM.               
STARTING  19010000                                                             
ENDING    19080000                                                             

The LIC refers to the Inter Colonial Council and these records are held at KEW in there is a reference to the South African Constabulary

Here is the link perhaps if you can get a look at the records perhaps it will help to either include or exclude this McHolm connection

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/C2253343

They unfortunately have not been digitised
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 October 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks again 3sillydogs. What set me off with the South African connection was that I found 2 passenger records for a J McHolm, one to Cape in 1910, the other to Durban in 1903. Knowing how the Scots migrated, I thought this a possibility. I have since discounted the 1903 passenger as I feel it could belong to a John McHolm.

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 July 17 09:45 BST (UK) »
This in our archives:
DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    LIC                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 17                                                                   
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 691                                                                   
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          PARTICULARS OF CLAIM TO PENSION OR GRATUITY JC MCHOLM.               
STARTING  19010000                                                             
ENDING    19080000                                                             

The LIC refers to the Inter Colonial Council and these records are held at KEW in there is a reference to the South African Constabulary

Here is the link perhaps if you can get a look at the records perhaps it will help to either include or exclude this McHolm connection

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/C2253343

They unfortunately have not been digitised
Thanks again. Back on the trail! Can anyone find a birth for J.C. McHolm (possibly James carruthers McHolm died 1944 South Africa)? Much appreciated.

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 July 17 10:39 BST (UK) »
Can anyone advise me of how to find attestation papers for J C McHolm, who served in the SA constabulary? I am searching for any evidence of next of kin, as I am unable to find his birth cert. Many thanks

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 July 17 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

Don't know if you have this, but these are possibly his Estate Papers died 1944 Johannesburg

Wife and one child listed, there are a number of pages in the file

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS9G-HS1V-5?i=753&cc=2520237&cat=188051

and his wife's Estate Papers also a number of pages in the file

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS37-QSVG-4?i=196&cc=2520237&cat=188051
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 July 17 16:05 BST (UK) »
Blimey 3sillydogs that's fantastic. I located a family of McHolms in SA, she didn't know who her grandparents were, and amazingly it looks like we are related. The age of death, although being a year out, the months are correct. He is listed as being 64 and 7 months. I would have had him down as 65 and 7 months. All in all I think we have a result. Thank you so much, Michaela

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 July 17 16:51 BST (UK) »
Is there a search button with these files? There are also SA constabulary records on familysearch, too many to go through one by one. Many thanks

Offline bowman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me in the woods 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 July 17 20:29 BST (UK) »
With regard to your plea for attestation papers for the South African Constabulary, if you have the time and patience you might like to plough through these pages on the Family History site, but where you would start is anybodies guess!!

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01keu/
BEARD; BAKER; TAYLOR; SMITH: BEER