Author Topic: Little Budworth pre 1800  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Little Budworth pre 1800
« on: Thursday 15 October 15 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hello, just scrolling through the parish church marriage registers for Little Budworth on FindMyPast and on some years there only appears to be just one wedding for that whole year.  Why would this be?

I have quite a few family baptisms at this church and thought I could find the parents marriage by searching this way as the surname has all kinds of weird transcriptions.

I had the hard copies of the baptisms in my hand and searched for hours but they are that badly transcribed I had to return to the old way of scrolling through year by year to find what I want......

Maybe the vicar didn't like performing marriages, any thoughts anybody?
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Little Budworth pre 1800
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 October 15 14:48 BST (UK) »
Little Budworth is only a small village, even now.  The official population of Little Budworth in 1801 was 434.  AND there were other churches within a relatively short distance - Over, Whitegate and Tarporley immediately spring to mind.

If you would like to have copies of some old photographs of Little Budworth, together with the history of the village, drop me a PM.  I lived in the village for the first 20 plus years of my life, and I've accumulated a bit of paperwork.   ;D

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 October 15 15:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bumble B most generous of you :D

As a local what would you think about parents who were married in Malpas (no church name I haven't followed that up yet) who say they both are from Bulkeley (various spellings) marrying in 1800 then having their children from 1801 onwards baptised in Little Budworth.  I'm not sure if I even have the right parents yet but I know that both places are quite near to Nantwich.

The problem I am having is with not only the transcriptions but the various spellings of the name Povall/Pover/Poval etc.  It took me ages (as I said above) to find George Dover never mind John Poaer   ::)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 October 15 16:57 BST (UK) »
Do you know what John Povall did for a living?  I'm assuming that the children baptised are the children of John and Ann.

The thing that springs to mind is that they moved to Little Budworth for work - and that that might have been at Oulton Hall for the Grey Egerton family, or even at White Hall.  I had noted some time ago that many of the staff at the Hall were NOT exactly local - someone suggested that that was a ploy used by the wealthy to ensure that their staff could not just "down tools" and go home.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 October 15 19:12 BST (UK) »
He was a farmer, yes the children baptised belong to him and Anne, but I am now doubting some of the things I researched many years ago on LDS microfilms....... ::)

The first 2 children were baptised as George and John POVER and the rest POVALL or POVAL, I did ask a very well known Cheshire genealogist if these would be from the same family and he said yes most probably.  But now I have found others baptised in the same time frame in Malpas since this afternoon.  The name is not very common elsewhere in the country but in Cheshire it is RIFE!!!

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 October 15 19:53 BST (UK) »
Do you know what John Povall did for a living?  I'm assuming that the children baptised are the children of John and Ann.

The thing that springs to mind is that they moved to Little Budworth for work - and that that might have been at Oulton Hall for the Grey Egerton family, or even at White Hall.  I had noted some time ago that many of the staff at the Hall were NOT exactly local - someone suggested that that was a ploy used by the wealthy to ensure that their staff could not just "down tools" and go home.

That's very interesting, I've not heard of this before.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 October 15 19:59 BST (UK) »
Not an awful lot of help, but an idea!!
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline nelsondeeks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 17:04 GMT (UK) »
 My Grgrgrandmother worked for Sir Philip de malpass Grey Egerton at his London home on Albermarle St back in 1877.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Was she only employed in London, or did she travel to Cheshire?  Sorry, just being nosy  :-[
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY