Author Topic: Looking for Jane/Jean Inglis beyond 1861, Shotts area  (Read 1055 times)

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Jane/Jean Inglis beyond 1861, Shotts area
« on: Saturday 17 October 15 02:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters,

I am trying to trace Jane (sometimes Jean) Inglis (daug of Alexander Inglis & Mary Jackson) beyond the 1861 census where I think she was living with the Pettygrew family in Blackhall, parish of Cambusnethan, aged 21, single and a domestic servant.

I don't have a birthdate for her but she was aged 1 (Jane) living with her parents in Stane, then in 1851 aged 11 (Jean) living with her father and stepmother (Ellen Spence) and then 1861 as above. 

I haven't found a marriage for her and wondered if anyone can please give me a clue as to where she might be beyond 1861.

With thanks...Sage.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Jane/Jean Inglis beyond 1861, Shotts area
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 October 15 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Sage,

No sign of her in Cambusnethan cemetery! Her brother Thomas (died 1891) and sister Margaret (died 1908) are both buried there but, unless she survived until after my records end (1916) she must have been buried elsewhere.

good luck.

Lodger
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Jane/Jean Inglis beyond 1861, Shotts area
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 October 15 01:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Lodger,

Thanks for doing a cemetery look-up for me.  My Jane/Jean has proven to be a little elusive but I'm sure she'll show up eventually...her sister turned up on the Isle of Man!  :)

I see you've been camping out down at the Globe Cemetery and taking some photos of the headstones.  Its a wonderful thing for us erstwhile researchers to have someone like you willing to brave the elements in the wilds of Motherwell to bring a bit of history home to us.  Well done and thank you.

Sage.