Author Topic: Margaret Burke from near Clifden Connemara  (Read 4094 times)

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Margaret Burke from near Clifden Connemara
« on: Sunday 18 October 15 10:55 BST (UK) »
The above Margaret was my great grandmother who came from near Clifden.

From her age given on her marriage certificate, in Glasgow in 1874, she is estimated to have been born in 1852. Her parents were Michael Burke, and Norah Conley ( possibly Connelly and its variations, or Connell).  As Honoria/Honora/Honor & Nora/h are family names in subsequent generations I guess that her mum's proper name was Honoria - which was not uncommon at that time.

The family story goes that Margaret had at least 2 elder sisters, Catherine and Delia (Bridget), who went to The States, with Margaret and her younger brother, Thomas still at home with the family in Connemara.  The Father died, and one of the sisters came home and took Thomas to America.  We have been able to trace Thomas to Greely County, Nebraska, based on the fact he was reputed to have made and lost a fortune, so his facts were remembered. But we have no idea about the other 2 sisters.

We have no idea why Margaret went to Glasgow, instead of to the USA with everyone else, and interestingly Margaret doesn't say her Mother was dead on her marriage certificate, though I assume she was.

Anyway I would love to find out if the family is traceable in Ireland, despite being told it was impossible, that Burke was the most common Surname there, and Michael the most common Christian name.

The family were Roman Catholic, and this all happened before civil registration was begun. 

We believe Margaret came to Glasgow in the early mid 1870's as she has not been found (by me) on the 1871 census, but married my great grandfather in 1874. As was a common story then, she became a lodger in their home, and ended up marrying one of the sons!

There may be a few other facts I know, but have forgotton to put here, so please ask away!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Burke from near Clifden Connemara
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 October 15 11:30 BST (UK) »
Catholic Parish registers now online- hopefully you will find the records cover the period you need to search.
http://registers.nli.ie/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 October 15 15:54 BST (UK) »
Was a more specific townland ever mentioned ?

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 October 15 15:57 BST (UK) »

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 October 15 16:00 BST (UK) »
Also

Do you have an occupation for Michael ?

Tara

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 October 15 20:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Agadowey,

My sister and I spent a wet and windy February week in Dublin 4-5 years ago.  We spent about 2 days at the microfiche consules at I think, the National Library.  If you've done it yourself, you know  that reading the 'fiche ranges from very difficult, to absolultely impossible, or at least that's how I remember it!. We found very little, mainly because most of my Irish ancestors left Ireland for Scotland early on in the 1850's or before.  Only 2 lots were later on, and that was Margaret Burke, and some ancestors from Derry.  We found the Derry relatives, but it only confirmed what we already knew from the civil records.  I found nothing for Margaret Burke and family.  However I was working under time pressure, so perhaps if I take my time on line, I will be more successful!  I will try that!

Tara

Unfortunately, no, a Townland was never mentioned. It is so frustrating that for many of us, the age at which we become interested in family history, in this way, often coincides with when your elders, be they aunts/uncles/grandfather or grandmothers are all gone!. 

On Margaret's wedding certificate her father is called Michael Burke, and his occupation is given as Shepherd.  Mum is Norah, maiden name Conley. 

On her death certificate in 1817, Dad is given as Miles(!!) Burke, and his occupation is Farmer.  Her mothers Maiden name is given as Foley.

I would say the wedding certificate is more likely  to be accurate!.

Re the death you found, It was for a Michael Burke who died at 60 years in 1920, in New York, but Margaret's dad was dead before she married in 1874. So that isnt him.  However it did include lots of the names - Michael Burke, Norah, and Connolly. It just emphasises that these names are very very common !

Thanks for your help!

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 October 15 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi There

No

The link I sent you was for a BROTHER to Margaret.

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 October 15 20:43 BST (UK) »
What paperwork did you get Clifden Connemara from ?

Tara

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 October 15 21:41 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Tara for the confusion.  Her brother's name was Thomas, and I know where he died, in Greely County Nebraska, USA in the early 1930's I think. 

We know that Margaret was from near Clifden, because my grandmother said so - she was her daughter, and lived close to her mother until she died.  I know this is oral hand down of information, but it is only a couple of generations, and lots of my grannies siblings families also know that their mum or Granny came from  near Clifden.

One of the problems is that I dont know exactly when Michael died, but I suspect that this is what spurred his daughter to come back and get Thomas, and for Margaret to go to Scotland, so I cant imagine he died that many years before Margaret appeared in Glasgow.  But I really don't know for sure!

Of course I also realise this was all taking place in the aftermath of the 'great' famine, and that life must have been hellish for all concerned!