Author Topic: CURTIS  (Read 4774 times)

Offline abra

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
CURTIS
« on: Wednesday 13 July 05 19:24 BST (UK) »
My great grandparents, James and Margaret (MURPHY) Curtis, immigrated in the 1855.  They settled in Belvidere, Illinois in 1856.  According to his death records, he was born May 7, 1829, in Tipperary Co.

Margaret MURPHY was born May 17, 1836.

They had children:  John
                               Ellen
                               William
                                Katherine

James had a brother Peter Who also lived with a wife Margaret in Belvidere, Illinois. 

I have had no luck finding anything about the parents of James or Margaret.  Would so much appreciate any information.

Offline garethgriffiths

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member Gwynedd Cheshire Family History Societies
    • View Profile
Re: CURTIS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 August 05 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi ABRA
Interesting to see your family emmigrated to Belvidere as did mine and about the same time, see Tunstall family mentioned elsewhere (search on Belvidere or Tunstall).  I wonder if you have worked out how they travelled there from the UK/Ireland and the route they took?  Have you established their point of entry into the USA?  I have found mine in 1860, 1870 and 1880 census but no access to 1890 census as of yet, can you help/advise me on that please?

Why Belvidere???   What was going on there at that time?  As I have now found 13 Tunstall or Linton family in Illinois I am becoming more well versed in Illinois records and have several internet links which may be useful.  One of the Tunstall records of death stated his parents names (confimred what I already knew so was fortunate).

Have you found ALL the relatives in Illinois yet?
Regards, Gareth
GRIFFITHS - Llandudno/Eglwysbach/Glan Conwy/BetwsYCoed/Llanbeblig/Caernarvon
BLEYTHIN - Llanbeblig
EVANS - Eglwysbach
JONES - Conwy/Llanrwst/TalYBont/Rowen
KEMP - Middlesbrough/Southport/Ainderby Quernhow/Kilburn/Sutton/North Riding
BONNER - Middlesbrough/Walsall/Escombe/South Hylton/Westoning, SMITH
TAYLOR/ORTH - Middlesbrough/Southport
TURNOCK - StokeOnTrent Goldenhill, Odd Rode/Astbury, Cheshire
TUNSTALL/WILCOX/DOYLE/BOYLE - Stoke on Trent (Goldenhill)
HARP - Fenton
ROGERS/STANTON - Chester

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: CURTIS
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 August 05 04:24 BST (UK) »
Gareth, Abra:
I too often wonder why people moved where they did. I found a wonderful account of Edward Moss who moved from New York in 1836 and http://iltrails.org/boone/boonehistory.html. It descibes the route and sights of early Chicago also.

Pat

Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland