Author Topic: Assistance Please with the HARFFEY family from Chichester  (Read 3996 times)

Offline bryan5808

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Assistance Please with the HARFFEY family from Chichester
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan  I have been rearing my hair out for weeks re this.Leave it with me for a while so I can study the new information you have discovered. I will get back to you. Thanks

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 October 15 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I see that I made a couple of stupid and confusing mistakes in my post above. I have corrected them now but to avoid confusion:

1. The ancestor of mine who worked at the Bank of England was Robert Blunt. (I had written William Blunt in one place.)

2. In her 1773 will, Mary wife of William Harffy referred to Robert Blunt of Southwark as her brother in law. (I had written son in law.)

Sorry for any confusion that this caused.

Alan

Offline bryan5808

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 30 October 15 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Alan I have worked on this since our last. I cannot find any connection between the HARFY family and my family of HARFFEY. I may be wrong but cannot connect any of the HARFY details. I am still trying to trace the details of William HARFFEY who had 5 children all baptised in Chichester. He died in 1816 but despite many enquiries I cannot progress without his details. Any information that may help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks Bryan

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 30 October 15 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am not sure that I can be of very much help, but here is the little I know.

The family of Harffys that I am interested seem to have been apothecaries for several generations, with names like Thomas and William cropping up repeatedly. The surgeon, William Harffy, whose family most directly concerns me, was probably the son of a Thomas Harffy, an apothecary, from Horsham in Sussex whose business was probably continued by his son Thomas Harffy.

Thomas Harffy took apprentice apothecaries in Horsham and in London; I am not clear whether this was the same person who moved (or was simultaneously the proprietor of two businesses) or whether there were two of them. Similarly, Thomas Harffy had children in Horsham whose mother was Mary (whom he may have married in London where another Thomas Harffy was born to Thomas and Mary) followed almost immediately by two children by a woman called Elizabeth (the marriage to whom is mysterious). I am not clear whether these were the same Thomas Harffys or not, or whether Mary and Elizabeth were the same person or not.

The William Harffy that I am most concerned with trained to be a surgeon (a business linked with the apothecary business at the time) and seems to have taken on apprentices in Liphook and Petersfield. His will describes him as living in Portsea (all of which are now in Hampshire), but I can see poll book entries which describe him living in Chichester. He is buried in Chichester Cathedral with his wife.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=139986541&ref=acom

His wife was plainly a wealthy woman as there are deeds and post-nuptual agreements describing holdings of land around Hampshire and Sussex.

This William has a link to my Blunts, who in turn probably moved to London from Petersfield. (Blunts in Petersfield are mentioned in his Robert Blunt's will.)

So the Harffy family seems to have spread between London, Hampshire and Sussex, including Horsham, Chichester and Petersfield.

My William Harrfy was the son of Thomas and Elizabeth in Horsham (b 1717). Thomas and Mary had a son Thomas Harffy possibly in London in 1712. This Thomas Harrfy, who probably carried on his father's business in Horsham probably married a woman called Mary Turner in London in 1773. (I can see some evidence for this but am relying to an extent on other people's trees that I have not checked.) They may have had children John, William, Mary and Thomas. (Mary at least I can be fairly sure of since she married the William Coleman mentioned in my Robert Blunt's will and is herself mentioned in the will of Petronella Harrfy, my William Harffy's sister, as being her niece, which would fit.) The tree I can see shows the son William Harffy being born to William and Mary on January 19 1745 in Horsham. This is a little odd, as I can't see a birth or christening record for that date, but I can see one for the same details dated 15 July 1743. Neither I nor the other tree I am looking at have anything for him after his birth.

In any event, this William Harffy would have been about the right age to be the one you are looking for, and certainly came from a family with links to Chichester. It isn't a common name, but then again, it could just be a coincidence.

Unless you can find out more about his occupation - an apothecary or surgeon would strongly suggest a family link - then the only other thing that I can suggest is looking at the box that I mentioned before in the West Sussex Archives. If you don't live nearby you can contact them on-line and ask them whether they could copy it for you and how much it would cost.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 07 November 15 04:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

It doesn't help the original purpose of this thread, but a very helpful respondent in the Hampshire section solved my problem about the relationship between the Blunts and the Harffys. Mary Brett, who married William Harrfy and referred in her will to her brother in law Robert Blunt, was in fact Robert's half brother.

"1 Richard Blunt fisherman of Petersfield m Jane Heckman/Peckman/Rickman (three different sources, three different names) of Easebourne Sussex by licence 9 Feb 1718/20 at Chichester
Children:
Jane b & bp 20 Nov 1719 buried 1 Dec 1719
Martha b 24 Dec bpt 29 Dec 1720
Richard b 26 Apr bpt 6 May 1724
Thomas b & bpt 26 May 1725 buried 29 May 1725

Jane was buried 25 Oct 1726

Possibly Richard remarried to Barbara Brett 25 Jun 1727.  She was the widow of Thomas Brett of Petersfield
(Thomas Brett of Petersfield m Barbara Wormell of Rogate 28 June 1715 at Terwick West Sussex.  Their daughter was Mary Brett b 30 Jul bpt 6 Aug 1716.  Thomas was buried 22 May 1718.
?? This Mary Brett later married William Harffy 22 Jul 1742 at Liss)"

More details of the Blunt family here
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=734543.msg5799476#msg5799476

Alan

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Mary Brett, who married William Harrfy and referred in her will to her brother in law Robert Blunt, was in fact Robert's half brother.

Confusing?   ;)

I've encountered an advertisement in the Sussex Advertiser 17 Oct 1785 for an auction (on the premises) on 1st November, and following days till all are sold, of the STOCK in TRADE of Mr THOMAS HARFFY at Cuckfield in Sussex Shopkeeper;  consisting of Linen Drapery, Haberdashery, Mercery, Hosiery, Hardware, Earthen Ware, Shrouds, &c., and also all the Household Furniture.

It appears he may have been moving some distance, as he's not described as 'the late' .....?

dee-jay   
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 11 June 20 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Harffy/Blunt

I am from the other thread referred to above. I would like to explain our interest and ask for your help.

There seems to be a close link between the Harffy and Blunt families, but what it is is not clear. Our ancestor is Richard Blunt who lived in Southwark, worked in the Bank of England, married once, in 1764, to Mary nee Reynolds widow of Edward Burbidge, had five children and died in 1773.

1. Robert Blunt's will appointed William Harffy a surgeon of Chichester as one of his executors and mentioned his niece, William Harffy's daughter Mary

2. William Harffy's wife Mary (nee Brett?) died in. 1771 (according to find-a-grave). Her will, proved 1773, leaves her assets to her only child Mary, or failing that, to her brother-in-law Robert Blunt of Southwark.

3. William Harffy's 1795 will bequeathed a ring (I think) in remembrance of Mr Robert Blunt to George Moody Longcroft, who had married his daughter Mary.

4. Another of Robert Blunt's executors was Mr William Coleman of the Bank of England, he married another Mary Harffy, William’s niece.

5. Robert Blunt's will provided for his wife and children, in particular for his children's apprenticeships. Two of them went on to be chemists, the Harffy family business.

I was wondering whether William Harffy  and Robert Blunt might have been half-brothers if William's father Thomas Harffy of Horsham had died young and his wife Elizabeth re-married,  and chanced on this 'index only' record on Ancestry:

Harffy, Elizabeth
Horsham, Sussex, England
Sussex: Chichester - Calendar of Wills in the Consistory Court of the Bishop of Chichester, 1482-1800
Wills Now Preserved in the Probate Registry at Chichester.
Chapt 1482-1800.
Harffy, Elizabeth, widow, Horsham 33 12 1720

I assume this means that both parents died shortly after the birth of William's sister Petronella in 1718.

I also noticed that the West Sussex records office holds a box

Certified copies of parish registers relating to the Taylor, Longcroft and Harffy families

which looks promising.

We would be very grateful for any help with this.

Alan Watson

I have only just seen this, I realise it is an old post.  George Moody Longcroft was my daughter's 8x Great Grandfather.  I have quite a bit on the Longcrofts but afraid I have nothing on the Blunts.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others