Author Topic: Edward Frederick Green, painter of portraits and exotic topics  (Read 3663 times)

Offline Inge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Frederick Green, painter of portraits and exotic topics
« on: Tuesday 20 October 15 21:24 BST (UK) »
I came across a series of Rootchat postings about members of a Green family in which I found some highly relevant information (provided by "Valda") regarding John and Harriet Green whose several children were baptized at St. Botolphs, Bishopsgate. Two of the children in the list were Edward Frederick Green born in 1801 and James Moring Green born in 1805.

I am wondering if this EFG is the competent painter who exhibited many times in London, and painted a portrait of Maltilda Graham in 1934. This is relevant because her fiance, according to the auctioneers, was James Moring Green, i.e. perhaps EFG's brother).

Auction houses give the birthyear for the EFG in which I am interested as 1767 and his death year as 1850 or sometimes 1851. The birth year seems highly unlikely because that would have made him 73 at his marriage to Catherine Colonna Stilon of Malta in 1840, and 57 years old when he first exhibited at the Royal Academy (he exhibited in London between 1824 and 1851, the last posthumous). the 1801 date makes much more sense. He lived at various London addresses, and also in Malta for a time. and is said to have travelled widely (information by auctioneers who may be copying from each other).

The Richard Lee, also in the Valda entry, was baptized at St. Botolph's in 1798, and was apparently oldest child of John and Harriet Green. He is likely to the the same man who contributed notes to the book "Sketches of the war in Greece" published in 1827. That the painter EFG should have been a brother of Richard Lee Green makes sense, because of a painting of Athens and Greek Street scenes, as well as a "Young woman in Greek Dress" (auctioned by Sotheby's some time ago).

I would like to find out more about this family. EFG probably had no descendants because his wife
died in London in 1845 of rapid consumption (according to a publsihed death notice), and their two young children who, according to family lore, also died in childhood.

Three weeks after his wife's death EFG sold all his paintings and copies of old masters as well as curiosities at an auction without reserve prices due to progressing to India (according to an announcement I found on the web). There he painted portraits and exotic pictures (Indian Snake Charmer), he was in Malta in 1848 for his father-in-law's funeral (funeral description). I have found no death notice for EFG, nor have I found out definitively what happened to his children, Melita Jane and Ellen. They were still alive in 1847 and probably 1848, because they are listed in their grandfather's will (Joseph Stilon, also Guiseppen Maria Stilon, who has an interesting biography).

According to a list of exhibitors at the Royal Academy of Arts (vol.3), EFG lived at 13 New Bond Street in 1824; at 65 Upper Charlotte Street in 1826; at 16 Howland Street in 1828 and 1829; at Upper Gloucester pl. in 1837; at Strada Mercante in Valletta, Malta in 1840 and 1841; at 2 Titchfield Terrace in St. John's Wood in 1843; in Bombay in 1846; and at 17 Nottingham Street in 1951. Auction houses state, EFG travelled widely which makes sense, but the origin of the information is a mystery.

EFG painted a portrait of his wife's sister, my husband's ancestor, and the reason for my interest. Any information re EFG would be of interest. It's hard for us to go and look for it in libraries, given we now live in the USA.

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Frederick Green, painter of portraits and exotic topics
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 21:46 BST (UK) »

Melita Jane Green
Age    13
Burial 11 Aug 1854, All Souls, Kensal Green

Address 17 Nottingham Place, St Marylebone

Offline Inge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 22:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much. This is new information.

Offline Inge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 14:40 BST (UK) »
I'm a little surprised this topic is regarded as completed. So far I have only found out the death date of one of EFG's daughters, Melita Jane (from the entry by Mabel Bagshawe). I have not found out where EFG died, nor anything more about his life. I am not even absolutely sure that the EFG listed by Valda in another topic is the painter, though the circumstantial  evidence is pretty convincing.  It is interesting that the address given for Melita Jane Green is the same listed for EFG for his last exhibition at the Royal Academy in 1851. Since EFG supposedly died in 1851, I wonder if she lived at that address with other Greens or with relatives on her mother's side.

I was hoping that, by finding out more about EFG's extended family, I might find out more about him. Thanks to the Valda entry in another Green Rootschap, I did come across a "List of British Consular Officieals in the Ottoman Empire...."  one entry in this list about John Green lists him as Vice Consult at Nauplia, Greece, and says his father was John Green, Treasurer of the Levant Company and his mother was Harriet Staniforth; furthermore, his brothers are P.J. and R.L. Green at Patras (in consular service). Their son was a very well known person, William Mackenzie Green who died as agent and Consul General at Tangier in 1891. There are other entries for Greens in this extended family in this list.

I am wondering if there are any living descendants who might know something about Edward Frederick Green, the portrait painter and painter of exotic subjects (including the Moroccan Courtship painting for
which several outfits offer copies on the web).

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 October 15 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Inge,

I think that this maybe the topic that you refer too...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=451941.27

If it is correct I can attach your reply to the end of the topic so that the other people can read your responses.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Inge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 October 15 16:53 BST (UK) »
You are right, in the sense that that other rootchat about Greens appears, at least in part, be about the same family. I also agree that some of the information in my earlier reply may be of interest to those focusing on John Green father and son. However, my focus is on whether and how these are connected to Edward Frederick Green, the painter. I could enter some of the information I gathered into that other rootchat, perhaps? What do you think?

Although EF Green the painter exhibited frequently in London, little is known about his earlier life.
I am more and more convinced that he is the one listed by Valda among the sons of John Green, and was born in 1801, or at least baptized then (this although auction houses in London list him with a birth year of 1767).

Feel free to move my reply, unless you think it could be confusing to the people interested primarily in John Green.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 October 15 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Inge,

I have provided a link on the other topic to let the posters know of your new replies :)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 October 15 10:56 BST (UK) »
17 Nottingham Place, St Marylebone

This was the home of Hewitt Davis, land agent, throughout the 1850's.

17 Nottingham Street

This was a lodging house.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 October 15 11:31 BST (UK) »
Burials in the same grave as Melita (per deceasedonline):

Green, Catherine Colonna 1845 
Green, Harriet 1837 

Quote from the other thread
There is a burial for Harriet Green at Kensal Green cemetery 6th February 1837. This Harriet was aged 69 from Twickenham Middlesex (under 2 miles from Richmond Surrey across the river Thames). If it is her than she is likely to have been buried in a purchased grave and Kensal Green cemetery should be able to tell you who is buried with her