Author Topic: Edward Frederick Green, painter of portraits and exotic topics  (Read 3645 times)

Offline Inge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Frederick Green, painter of portraits and exotic topics
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 October 15 17:48 BST (UK) »
Dear ShaunJ, Thanks for the additional information about Catherine Colonna and the fact that she is buried with Harriet Green establishes, as far as I am concerned, that the Edward Frederich Green, the painter, is the son of John and Harriet listed by Valda as baptized at St. Botolph's Bishopsgate (and that the birth year supplied by the auction houses such as Tennants is wrong).

I still wonder about why his name is not coming up together with the other brothers, nor why James Moring Green is not mentioned either even though EFG's visits to Greece and Egypt may be due to the family's link to the Levant Company. I also wonder whether EFG died abroad and what happened to the other daughter, Ellen Green, probably born in 1843, but which time the family was no longer in Malta.
Might there be a way to find out if EFG received some training in painting in London?

It is interesting that John Green is listed as "late of New Bond Street" in the other Green thread, and that EFG lived at New Bond Street in 1824 when he first exhibited at the Royal Academy. I'll surf the web some more, but thanks a lot for the info so far. Inge

Offline Inge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have discovered that both Catherine Colonna Green (wife of Edward Frederick Green and Melita Jane Green, their first daughter, born in 1841 in Malta) are buried together with Harriet Green and other members of the Edward Frederick Green's family at Kensal Green Cemetery, but I am still wondering what happened to the second daughter, Ellen Green. Ellen is named as a beneficiary in a will by her grandfather Joseph (otherwise Guiseppe) Stilon, a Royal Navy Surgeon in Malta of Italian origin. I obtained the official translation of the will, originally written in Italian, from the British National Archives. Ellen Green is described as "granddaughter, child of my late daughter Catherine Colonna Green." Catherine Colonna died in 1845, but the will indicates that Ellen was still living in 1947. Shortly after his wife's death EFG sold all his paintings, copies of old masters, and curiosities at an auction by Foster autioneers (advertised in "The Atheneum") prior to "progressing to India."  That he did go to India is pretty certain because some paintings he exhibited at the British Institution and Royal Academy were painted in India, and his address is listed as Bombay. It could be that he took his daughters with him, of course, and that Ellen died in India, or that family tree information about her dying as a child is incorrect. It also seems certain he was back in Malta in 1848, because he is listed as one of the chief mourners at Joseph Stilon's funeral. Any pointers as to how to find out more about Ellen's fate would be appreciated.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sarah for including me.
Edward Frederick Green was the 5th son of John & Harriet Green He was the Vice Consul in Tunis. b.11 Jan 1801 Bap 14 Jul 1801 d 1884, from family records
He married 2 Jun 1840 in Malta to Catherine Colona Stilton. I have only found one child for them Melita Jane Green b 30 April 1841 Tunis.
The 7th son James Moring Green Vice Consul in Naples was a well known artist but I had not heard that EFG was also an artist. The Green family were prominent in The Levant Co: & the Consular Service receiving many decorations.
Vesta

Hi Inge,

This is the reply from Vesta from the other topic, not sure if you had seem it
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=451941.msg5788668#msg5788668

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Inge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have since found out many more details, but there is no trace of the second child, Ellen who was born in London in 1843. In 1847, she and her older sister are mentioned is their grandfather Joseph Stilon's will, and in 1851 both are living or staying with their aunt, Melita Mends nee Stilon in Alverstoke. Their mother, Catherine Colonna nee Stilon, died in London in 1845, and Melita Jane died in 1854, but so far nothing has emerged regarding Ellen's fate. Information on family tree I have says she and her sister died of consumption as a children, but this isn't necessarily completely correct. As for Edward Frederick Green, he exhibited many times at the Royal Academy and the British Institution, so he was definitely an artist. One of his portraits (of a young man) is in the possession of the Art Gallery of the Guildhall.

I don't know if I should give up on gaining more information about Ellen's life or death.

Offline MMyrone

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 September 17 21:19 BST (UK) »
I read the various notes about Edward Frederick Green with interest - I'm compiling a dictionary of students at the Royal Academy of Arts in London c.1769-1830, and can confirm that EFG was a student at the RA, rather successfully so.
His name appears in the records as Frederick Edward Green / E.F. Green
He was admitted as a probationary student, 11 January 1822, and registered as a full student 4 April 1822, aged 21, painting - this confirms the birth date (clearly not the 1767 given in some sources). He was admitted to the life drawing school on 29 November 1822, and won a Silver medal in 1826, for a copy made in the painting school.
From the posts, I take it that his father, John Green, was a Levant merchant, and that Green lived largely in Malta and was vice-consul at Tunis. It would be great to be able to confirm his death date - I had identified him with the Edward F. Green 'artist' who was a visitor in Kent in the 1861 census, stated to be 60, but unmarried.

Offline Muriel MSIDA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Msida Bastion Garden, Floriana, Malta
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 April 23 10:51 BST (UK) »
If someone is still interested, I have info about the Stilon family in Malta.