Author Topic: Curry, Currie, King or King-Currie?  (Read 1070 times)

Offline cargill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Curry, Currie, King or King-Currie?
« on: Saturday 24 October 15 00:04 BST (UK) »
Earlier I posted a topic on Uriah BOULTER but I would also like to investigate his wife and her line.

Uriah's wife (I will call her Elizabeth 1833 - 1907) has numerous name variations. On the marriage certificate she is listed as Elizabeth CURRY. On Uriah's death certificate she is listed as Elizabeth KING and on her death certificate she is listed as Mary Elizabeth BOULTER with the father listed as William KING-CURRIE, Captain, British Army and the mother as Unknown McNAMARA. According to the death certificate Elizabeth was born in Glasgow. She emigrated to Australia in 1847, I presume with her father as she would have been only 14 at the time.

As for Elizabeth's father there is some confusion as well. In a marriage notice of one of Elizabeth's daughters (17/1/1880) there is reference to "the late Sergeant King Curry" so he died pre 1880 as a sergeant but is listed in 1907 as a captain!

Any help, particularly with the military aspect of Elizabeth's father, would be appreciated.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Curry, Currie, King or King-Currie?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 October 15 01:47 BST (UK) »
Does Elizabeth's marriage certificate tell you her father's name, mother's name and place of birth?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 October 15 01:55 BST (UK) »

reference to "the late Sergeant King Curry" so he died pre 1880 as a sergeant but is listed in 1907 as a captain!

If he died in 1907, the reference to "late Sergeant" probably just means that in the past he was a Sergeant and when he died his rank was Captain.

Do you have Elizabeth's immigration details? If you know when and where she arrived in Australia you could check shipping records to see if she travelled with family. Many people, even youngsters, travelled alone, and some met up with relatives upon arrival.

Offline cargill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 October 15 02:09 BST (UK) »
There are no details of Elizabeth's parents on the marriage certificate. Details of her parents only appear on her death certificate (1907). From the death certificate she had resided in New South Wales for 60 years which would make 1847 as the year she moved to Australia. I have had no luck finding any other details.

Elizabeth's father died pre 1880. For him to be mentioned in his grand-daughter's marriage notice I can only assume that he was a fairly well known character in the colony. I can find no reference to his death in NSW so it is possible that he moved elsewhere with his regiment, perhaps even to another country.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 October 15 12:45 BST (UK) »
1841 has just one reference:
Glasgow
Margaret Houthold  58
 Sarah Lindsay  77
 Sarah Neil  35
 John Neil  15
 James Neil  14
 Catherine Lang  15
 Mathew Lang  12
 John Campbell  45
 Catherine Campbell  38
 Isabella Mcgregor  40
 Jean Mcgregor  30
 Margt Cochran  18
 Sally ( alt. Sarah ) Curry  30 b. Lanarkshire
 Elizabeth Curry  8
b. Lanarkshire
 James Scouller  9 Mo
Looks like this family are in lodgings. No father present. If yours he may have been serving away.
May not be yours of course.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth was underage when she married, who were the witnesses to the marriage?

Debra  :)