Author Topic: what documentation would English citizens require to immigrate to Canada 1920's  (Read 774 times)

Offline RBUSH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm very new to genealogy, but, am really enjoying it so far.im sure that as I gain experience, I'll enjoy it more. Until then, I'll depend on you folks to help me with tips and guidance.
Being here in Canada, I have limited access to UK resources, in my family's research. One of the things I'm wondering is, in the 20's and 30's, what documentation would a English citizen require in order to immigrate to Canada? Did you have passports then? What was required of children?

Regards

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: what documentation would English citizens require to immigrate to Canada 1920's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 11:24 GMT (UK) »
This might help.
http://ccrweb.ca/en/hundred-years-immigration-canada-1900-1999.
Basically it states a British national didn't need any documentation to enter Canada but it was in the discretion of the Canadian Govt. on whether an individual was allowed to stay.
The only formal documentation was that relating to assisted passages or in the case of children (orphans) indentures relating to where & to whom they were going to.
A good source of finding out when someone immigrated are of the course the shipping lists.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: what documentation would English citizens require to immigrate to Canada 1920's
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I have a feeling that a sponsor, or Canadian resident who was of good standing was required on the immigration documentation somewhere - that was how I found relatives ( maternal uncle) of some of mine going to Canada in 1920/1. His name was on the entry documents, and the relationship. Hope that's helpful.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 November 15 19:28 GMT (UK) »
You may find the following link of interest if you are wondering about young children.  https://personal.uwaterloo.ca/marj/genealogy/allan.html

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 November 15 19:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm very new to genealogy, but, am really enjoying it so far.im sure that as I gain experience, I'll enjoy it more. Until then, I'll depend on you folks to help me with tips and guidance.
Being here in Canada, I have limited access to UK resources, in my family's research. One of the things I'm wondering is, in the 20's and 30's, what documentation would a English citizen require in order to immigrate to Canada? Did you have passports then? What was required of children?

They would have had passports or travel documents. As you know Canada was/is part of the British Commonwealth so it would not have been a problem going from the UK to Canada.  What one of my ancestors did was got a job as a  Domestic for someone in Canada, then every year after she left one of her family emigrated over.  They were able to use her as a contact name & address.  Many people also went the US route.  By ship to the East coast of America, and then a train over the boarder to Canada. A sponsor was someone who undertook to take financial responsibility for you if you failed to financially support yourself.  So, I guess some may have needed a sponsor ( a friend or relative already in the country) in order to move over.