Author Topic: Hoop Maker  (Read 5573 times)

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hoop Maker
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks stanmapstone & youngtug

So hoops can be either wood or metal depending on the requirement.
I guess Hoop Makers produce wooden items, metal hoops probably require smithy skills.

Tony

Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget bowling hoops was a great pastime for children in the days before they became kids.
A

Offline Rocket Ron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 00:00 BST (UK) »
Most barrels in the early days used wooden hoops, Steel came much later, The barrel was the most common method for transporting goods of all types around the world, The making of wooden hoops was big business, 
Morris, Morris, and Morris. Tintern, Trellech, Narth, Penalt.

Offline DGMac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 February 24 14:42 GMT (UK) »
SOURCE: http://doot.spub.co.uk/code.php?value=477

Description:
hoop maker, wood hoop maker ; hooper (Westmorland), hoop shaver, splitter
splits saplings of hazel, chestnut or ash and makes them into wood hoops for coopers; see hoop bender.

Related:
cooper ; barrel and cask maker, tubber, tubbie, tub thumper (slang)
(i) makes barrels or casks by hand, using cooper's hammer, adze, etc.; takes staves, prepared by band sawyer (481) q.v., and hollows them on one side, with a two-handled hollowing knife; rounds or backs with backing knife; joints, i.e. bevels edges, by pushing over upturned blade of jointer tool; assembles a number of staves in a circular forming frame, passes a temporary wooden hoop over them, and hammers, forcing staves close together; repeats process with smaller hoops, putting half completed cask over a brazier to make wood warm and pliable; finally hammers on permanent hoops; scrapes surfaces of cask, inside and outside, smooth with steel scraper; takes component parts of heads, i.e. ends of cask, prepared by head cutter (481) q.v., outlines circular shapes thereon with dividers, and cuts to shape with a cooper's adze; cuts a croze, i.e. groove, near top of staves inside, to receive head, with a crozing tool, i.e. a kind of plane; chimes staves, i.e. bevels inner edge, at top, with a spokeshave; hammers on final hoop round top; often employed in repairing casks or barrels, e.g. taking out defective staves, heads, etc., and replacing with new;
(ii) assembles staves, which have been hollowed, backed and jointed by cooper's machinist (486) q.v.; passes hoops over assembled staves, and inserts and hammers in heads, but leaves hoops to be hammered tightly by machine barrel driver (499) q.v.