Author Topic: Shugar or Sugar  (Read 2273 times)

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
Shugar or Sugar
« on: Tuesday 27 October 15 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Great Aunt Hilda Emily Shugar or Sugar b Charlton Mackrell in 1893 seems to drop off the planet. I have her as far as the 1911 census (Frome) but no marriage or death after- can any one help. 1911 also shows a George Arthur (a grandson)  b 1910 who also disappears after 1911. Any baptism info out there for him that would give details?
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shugar or Sugar
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 12:47 GMT (UK) »
There is one online tree BUT it's somewhat up the pole so don't know what is actually fact.

It shows that Hilda Emily Shugar was married to a Henry Arthur Millard b.1889?? (although no marriage seems to exist) and they had a daughter in Sept. 1926 at Bournemouth (won't name as possibly still living but easily found in FreeBMD birth index - also appears to be the only child).   It also shows that George Arthur Shugar b.1910 was Hilda's illegitimate son.  So far so good.  There is also a picture of Hilda so one would suppose the facts so far are correct.

A Hilda E. Millard b.1893 died Sept.qtr.1950 Bournemouth so that fits too.
A George Arthur Shugar b.30/7/1910 died Dec.1974 New Forest, Hampshire so that would also fit.

I cannot find a Henry A/Arthur Millard dying in the same area and indeed the tree shows he died in Gloucestershire (where he was born) so with no marriage cannot verify that his name etc. is correct.

Then the tree goes haywire - it shows she and Henry had a daughter Sybil Grace (now deceased) born in 1920 - however, Sybil Grace Millard was born in Mar.qtr.1920 Reading and her mothers maiden name was Broadhurst!   Indeed, a Walter John Millard b.1895 Reading married a Beatrice Maud Broadhurst in June qtr.1917 Reading and they appear to have had a daughter 1917, Sybil Grace 1920, another daughter 1924 and a son in 1929.   Clearly, we have two different families here and I find it hard to understand how the owner of the tree could make such a glaring mistake.

I would suggest you get the birth certificate of Hilda's given daughter born in 1926 (mmn Shugar) to verify that she was indeed the mother and also the name/occupation of the father (be it a Henry Arthur Millard or someone else).

Hope this helps.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annette, more than I was hoping for.
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Probate listing for Hilda Emily Millard died 1950 helps - she's listed as wife of Henry Arthur Millard, living at 276 Old Christchurch Road, Bournemouth. Probate was granted to two married women whose first names match two Millard children born in that area in 1918 and 1926, mother maiden name Sugar and Shugar respectively

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 14:26 GMT (UK) »
A death for Henry? (no probate entry obvious)

Henry A Millard
Date    Dec 1958
Age 69
Bournemouth  Vol 6b, p 143

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, now got the families of both of Hilda's lines

Offline shugarancestry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 June 16 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi all, wondering if you're still looking up Hilda Shugar? 

I'm the one who developed the online tree mentioned.  Thanks for bringing attention to Sybil - an error which is now rectified. I wish I could find out the eldest girls name and Alan can't remember.

Alan Shugar - George's son, ie Hilda's grandson - gave me some of the info in the online tree mentioned.  so I know that Hilda had a daughter called Barbara whom Alan knew (there's even a photo of her on the tree)..   

what I'm fascinated about .. and I wonder if anyone can help ... is that the story goes in the family  that she was working 'at the big house' and the owner had his wicked way with her when she was young.. and George was the result.  Any thoughts on which big house?

Also, would love to hear from you if you'd like to add any info/stories to the family and I can put them on the online tree.  Always lovely to hear from my son's cousins :-)

warm wishes
Natasha

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 June 16 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Natasha, messaging you. You may need to put a couple more posts on the board to access it. Cheers Pete
ps just looked on old OS maps and there are the following houses/estates -in the village Charlton House & The Court,  a couple of miles North is Kingweston, a couple of miles is South Kingsdon and a couple of miles West is Somerton Erliegh.

Offline Norby999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 October 20 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I am a descandent of the Shugar's and probably can update you but was wondering how I can access the family tree to see the complete information you have