Author Topic: David and "Margo" Prosser of Llangattock  (Read 2751 times)

Offline jstuber

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
David and "Margo" Prosser of Llangattock
« on: Wednesday 28 October 15 22:07 GMT (UK) »
I’m helping a friend find her ancestors in Wales and would like to have the good folks on Rootschat check my work and fill in gaps.

I’m researching David and “Margot” Prosser from Wales.  Based on census records and known names of children I got lucky and found their arrival on September, 1833 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  Here are names and ages from the passenger list:

David – 44
Mary Ann – 40   she appears as Margaret in the 1850 U.S. census and Mary Ann in 1860
Rachel – 19
David – 15
William – 13
John – 11
Thomas - 9
Elizabeth – 5
Henry – 2

Using both Ancestry and Findmypast I found two births that match in the town of Llangattock:

David - January 3, 1818   but the mother is listed as Anna Maria
Henry – December 18, 1831   and the mother is listed as Margaret

There's also a birth of Mary to David and Mary Prosser in Lllangattock in 1820 that might be a child who didn't survive that fits a gap between Rachel and David.

I also found the birth of David (the father) there, baptized May 3, 1789 which gave the names of parents John and Rachel.

There’s a decent match of David Prosser marrying Rachel Bevan in Raglan, Monmouth on November 10, 1777, but that’s 16 miles from Llangattock so maybe that’s a stretch.  But the oldest daughter was named Rachel and one son was named John.

Any help you can provide or pointers where else to look would be appreciated.