Author Topic: GEARY NSW  (Read 10546 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GEARY NSW
« on: Thursday 29 October 15 03:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for some help to fill in some gaps please.

I have Matilda Annie Geary marrying Wilby Morton Ollivier in Fiji in December 1874. The marriage notice says her father is "the late" Edward Geary.

I have found a death in NSW in 1855 for an Edward Geary aged 40 who may or may not be him.

Matilda Annie Ollivier died in NSW in 1942 aged 90. Father is named as Edwin - no mother named.

On the NSW Justice site I found a marriage in 1848 - in fact there were three entries which all looked like the same marriage for Edward Geary to Agnes Bradford or Agnes Dust. I don't know  why three entries or the surname anomaly. :-\

I can't see a birth for Matilda Annie Geary in NSW around 1852. I did consider that she may have been born elsewhere in Australia or even in the UK. I have seen her first names swapped around just to confuse matters.

Any clues or assistance gratefully received. I've tried numerous combinations of names and events but am hoping I missed something obvious and someone can spot something I have missed.

Thanks in advance.

Added: I have plenty about Wilby, it's just Matilda Annie I am looking for.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: GEARY NSW
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 October 15 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

No, not an anomaly, just pre-civil registration admin, so the marriage is recorded in several parish registers.

Back in 1810, under Gov Lachlan Macquarie, a Scotman, he issued General Orders re Baptisms and Burials and later Marriages.    He needed statistical info for WhiteHall funding.    So he required the clergy of all denominations to transmit to the NSW Chaplains on a quarterly basis a summary of their baptisms/burials/weddings.   He did NOT provide the clergy with funding to carry out this secular task.   Not all clergy obeyed, and not all the transmitted records arrived at the NSW Chaplain at St Philips C of E, Sydney,  BUT many records did.    So regardless of the denomination, they were written up in the C of E registers.    Then over time, NSW legislation allowed for the various denominations to keep their own registers and therefore the outlying districts clergy transmitted directly to their own denomination's "Head Office/Diocese"   ..... 

When NSW BDM was established and commenced civil registration processes, many of those Early Church Records were passed over to NSW BDM.

Anyways, longer story, shortened :  You can often find up to five entries (different reference nos) at NSW BDM for the one baptism, or burial or wedding when it is part of their holdings for Early church records (ECRs).     

You write that you have found a death in 1855 in NSW BDM, it is not a death certificate but only a burial certificate (so with very little family history info, as scant as say a UK burial order)..... 

The 1848 marriage entries at NSW BDM ..... sometimes you can find these at familysearch, and while, like the NSW BDM index, they too are transcriptions, there's often more info to be gleaned from the familysearch index.  I am not sure if they have reached the Sydney Presbyterian ones as yet.   

https://familysearch.org/search  search records by location is often a better option for Australia or NZ records....   https://familysearch.org/search/collection/location/1927080 

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/early-church-codes.aspx

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 October 15 03:53 GMT (UK) »
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Raylen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 October 15 03:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

Could this be her birth in NSW with misspelt surname?

2097/1852 V18522097 38A
GAREY    MATILDA A    
Father:  EDWARD    Mother:  AGNES

Raylen
Tuck-Baydon,Wiltshire
Woolford-Hampshire
Christie-Stirling

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 October 15 04:01 GMT (UK) »
Well found Raylen,

Two entries, one local and one transmitted  :)  Vol 38 definitely C of E  :)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTHN-H45  Albury NSW 

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT6K-SYC

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 October 15 05:10 GMT (UK) »
On the 13th instant, at his residence, Wheatsheaf Inn, George- street South, Mr. Edward Geary, in his 40th year.
The Sydney Morning Herald  Wednesday 14 November 1855

It would appear that Agnes was previously married. Here is the marriage of a daughter.

MARRIAGES.   
On the 24th August, by special licence, at St. Mary's Cathedral,   by the Rev. Father M'Girr, Mr. John Hennessy, to Miss Elizabeth DUIST, stepdaughter of the late Mr. Edward GEARY, both of Sydney.

The Sydney Morning Herald   Saturday 7 September 1861

A Law notice about the creditors of the above Edward  GEARY (deceased)  and Agnes
The Sydney Morning Herald  Monday 28 December 1857

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/13004431

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 October 15 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Here is a brother for Matilda Annie GAREY, Alfred. Also at Albury.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTHN-HG9

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 October 15 08:20 GMT (UK) »

Unassisted arrivals NSW

DUST Mrs, 3Dau  " Comet"  status  P
arrived 15 Oct 1847
post of origin   Port Nicholson   reference 1274
Remarks............ & Queen Charlotte Sound in SMH

Do you have witnesses names for the 1874 marriage certificate?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 October 15 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Re the death in 1855 for an Edward Geary aged 40 ……

Edward GAREY, transported to NSW on the John, 1832, received CoF 39/0641, 1 May 1839.

Edward GAREY, ex John, convicted Lancaster (or Liverpool Quarter Sessions as per another record), Lancs, 10 Jan 1831, 7 years.

Edward GAREY aged 19, 7 years, ex John, assigned to Edward McDowell, Sydney

John (3) arrived Sydney 8 June 1832

Certificate of Freedom
39/641
1 May 1839
Prisoner’s No. 32/1200
Edward GAREY
Ship : John 3,  Ship’s Master : Lowe
Arrived 1832
Native Place : Manchester
Trade or Calling :  Labourer
Offence:  House Breaking
Place of Trial: Lancaster QS
Date of Trial: 10 January 1831
Sentence: Seven Years
Year of Birth: 1814
Height: 5 feet 9 Inches
Complexion  Ruddy & much freckled
Hair Brown
Eyes Blue
General Remarks  Large broad scar under left Jaw.  Scar inside right Wrist.

Edward GAREY, aged 16, convicted at Salford, 10 Jan 1831, received 23 Feb 1831 at the Prison Hulk Justitia moored Woolwich.

Cheers,  JM