Author Topic: Beatrice Elizabeth Park and Elizabeth Shiel.  (Read 10040 times)

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Beatrice Elizabeth Park and Elizabeth Shiel.
« on: Friday 30 October 15 03:53 GMT (UK) »
I have found contradictory information on the internet about Beatrice Elizabeth Park, with three different dates of birth given for her and two different places of birth, but the same husband with all his details that agree, and the same son.  I think she was born on 16th March 1869 in Galashiels, Selkirk, Scotland. 

Her father was John Park and her mother Elizabeth Shiel. 

The Scotland Census 1871 gives her living in Galashiels, Scotland, age 2.

I am curious about her, and also her mother Elizabeth Shiel. 

Her husband was a sergeant major in the Royal Scots Greys, so after marriage she did seem to travel and did live in London, though she seems to have died in South Shields.  Her son was born in Edinburgh.

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Beatrice Elizabeth Park, born Galashiels 1869.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 October 15 04:55 GMT (UK) »
One of my ancestors I have long been curious about is Beatrice Elizabeth Park, born 16th March 1869 in Galashiels, Selkirk, Scotland.  Her father was John Park and her mother was Elizabeth Shiel.  The Scotland Census for 1871 gives her living in Galashiels, age 2. 

I read that she married a Regimental Sergeant Major in the Royal Scots Greys on 18th November 1897.  Her son was born in Purshell Barracks, Edinburgh in 1899, but is shown living in Islington, London in the 1901 census. 

I am curious to find out anything about her or her mother Elizabeth Shiel.

Topics merged to prevent duplication,

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Beatrice Elizabeth Park and Elizabeth Shiel.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 October 15 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Where have you found this contradictory information? A quick check in the Scottish census 1871-1901 show her living in Galashiels. In 1871 and 81, she has a birth year of 1869, and living with her parents. In 1901, she is living with her sister Margaret, although her age is given as 28, instead of 32. Whether this is accidental, or on purpose, who knows.

Added-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQ3M-5B8
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 October 15 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

Could be that these are 2 different Elizabeth Park's  :-\
The one in 1901 that Pinefamily found in Galashiels Selkirkshire(although the age is out) and the one in London in 1901.

Can't see a likely marriage in Scotland or England , Do you have further details ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 October 15 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Where have you found this contradictory information? A quick check in the Scottish census 1871-1901 show her living in Galashiels. In 1871 and 81, she has a birth year of 1869, and living with her parents. In 1901, she is living with her sister Margaret, although her age is given as 28, instead of 32. Whether this is accidental, or on purpose, who knows.

Added-

This link http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Park-1451 shows her as born in 1878 in Chelsea, London, which just looks totally wrong and misleading.

It is the right woman, she did marry Harry Rolls, who was a Regimental Sergeant Major in the Royal Scots Greys, on 18th November 1897, and gave birth to her son, also called Harry Rolls on 27th October 1899 in Purshell barracks, Edinburgh.  The marriage was probably in London.

I think the wikitree writer might have got her date and place of birth wrong as she did move around with her husband's job.  The family does seem to have been based in London at some times, possibly in Chelsea barracks.  A younger daughter, Hilda Beatrice Rolls, was born to her in Islington, London, on 16th March 1904.

(Her husband Harry Rolls was born on 26th February 1873 in Staffordshire, England, and apparently became a Chelsea pensioner, so the wikitree writer might have confused this with his wife's birth place).

Her son's birth place is given in another source as South Leith, Scotland, so still Edinburgh.

And yes, I did find a third source that gave her date of birth a couple of years out.  Probably usual stumbling blocks when you are researching these things, but it is wonderful when you get a streak of accurate information that really tells you something about your ancestor, as from a Census.  Thank you for your help.

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 October 15 13:50 GMT (UK) »

Can't see a likely marriage in Scotland or England , Do you have further details ?

ev

Beatrice Elizabeth Park married Harry Rolls on 18th November 1897 in Hackington, England.

But their son, also called Harry Rolls, was born on 27th October 1899, Purshell barracks, South Leith, Scotland.  Harry Rolls the father was a Regimental Sergeant Major in the Royal Scots Greys at the time.  They had an older daughter born 29th September 1898, also in Edinburgh, Scotland http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Rolls-145

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 October 15 14:11 GMT (UK) »

Added-

That date of 1901 as living with her sister seems contradictory to having married in 1897 and having her children from 1898, though it is possible that she was just staying with her sister on the Census dates.

A long time ago I found a source that said she died in South Shields, but I wasn't sure if I had the right information there.  It looked as though she had family in the Scottish borders region and went back a lot.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 October 15 14:42 GMT (UK) »

Beatrice Elizabeth Park married Harry Rolls on 18th November 1897 in Hackington, England.

The marriage in 1897 in Hackington Kent lists Beatrice as Elizabeth Beatrice age 21 with father Samuel Park  and the 1901 and last census both list her as born in 1878 in Chelsea :-\

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 October 15 15:05 GMT (UK) »

The marriage in 1897 in Hackington Kent lists Beatrice as Elizabeth Beatrice age 21 with father Samuel Park  and the 1901 and last census both list her as born in 1878 in Chelsea :-\
Thank you for finding this information for me.  I was starting to wonder why she would have waited until she was nearly thirty to have her first child, and then have about five children in a few years.  Being in her early twenties when she married and started her family sounds more likely.

I have wondered about her and struggled to find information about her for years.

Pity not having the Scottish connection, other than Harry being in Edinburgh for his job and their first two children born there.

Still, I wondered about the other Beatrice Elizabeth Park, and that gave a glimpse into the life of a woman who lived long ago.