Author Topic: Henry Owens also known as Jake Kilrain Scottish Boxer  (Read 7483 times)

Offline Richiebhoy1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Owens also known as Jake Kilrain Scottish Boxer
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 November 16 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi I stumbled across this discussion while browsing info about my grandfather Jake Kilrain.  I would be very interested in anybody that had information about him.

Offline Annie Keegan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 November 16 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I originally started the discussion re Jake Kilrain but I don't have any information that I can pass on.  My Aunt in Canada was writing a short story about Jake as her father had painted Jakes portrait in the 1900's.  I remembered seeing the painting as a youngster and knew that my father had given it to a relation of Jakes.  My Aunt wanted to try and get a photo of the painting and I had found out that it had been hanging in a well known pub in Baillieston, Glasgow but when the pub had been recently renovated the picture had been given back to the family.  Sorry but I can't tell you any more than that.

Offline Richiebhoy1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 November 16 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Yep that all makes perfect sense. My aunt in Canada has a framed oil painting of him, i would be able to get a copy of it for you. It may not be the same painting. Is your Aunt still writing the book? My mother ia Jakes daughter, and would have information if you needed any.  Can ask who the artists name was and whether your aunt finished the book?

Offline Annie Keegan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 November 16 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Sorry but it was only a short story that my aunt was writing for a Scottish Magazine.  If you want to give me an email address I can get a copy of the story.  My aunt who wrote the story also lives in Canada.  If it is the same painting it will have my grandfathers signature John McVey who was a well known local artist and I am sure that she would appreciate a photo.

Offline Richiebhoy1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 November 16 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Oh we would very much appreciate a copy of the story. My Mum is fit and well so I'll ask her if she knows the artist. My Mum moved down to Middlesbrough in the early 70's and it was whilst visiting my Mum that Jake suffered a heart attack playing golf with me and my Dad in 1984. I'll see what i can do regarding the painting, I'm sure my Mum has a photo of it. Is there a PM facility? I dont want to put my email address on full display.

Offline Scottie.c

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 February 17 11:49 GMT (UK) »
I know his son Harry  (Henry) very well

Offline Holy1rood

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 November 18 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Your grandfather , I knew him as Jake Kilrain, was a very good friend of my father ,John Donoghue( Who played for Celtic with Mc Grory, Thompson etc from 1926  to around 1930) They both worked at the Union Club in Renfield  Street around  in the 1950,s. I met him on quite a few occasions Always very friendly to me    although he had quite a fearsome reputation The last time I saw him was in late 1965 just before I emmigrated to Canada   lHe was working at Hamilton Race track.  always remember he gave me a tip for a horse   FLIGHT MASTER( Lost in a photo finish0. My father spoke about him quite often   his fight with Ernie Roderick at Shawfield etc.  I once saw a photo of him and his wife sitting with my father and my mother at a Union Club social event... wish I had it now. Just thought I would add this little bit of Info.   John D.

Offline HelenO1981

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 04 January 19 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi there henry Owens (Jake) is my great uncle he was cousins with my great grand dad who was also called henry ( harry) Owens.

Offline dfo315

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 February 19 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am also interested in Jake Kilrain. He was my father’s cousin. I would really like to make contact with any members of Jake’s family. Dan Owens