Author Topic: Morton/Murton  (Read 11301 times)

Offline andygmandrew

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Morton/Murton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 February 17 11:24 GMT (UK) »
(Continued)
   In the1861 census, Edward is living with Elizabeth at 103 White Cake Row, Seghill, aged 30 and his place of birth is given as Seghill.
   This all looks pretty conclusive, however, could there be another Edward who fits the bill? Here is a list of all the Edwards baptised around the same time:

BERWICK UPON TWEED RC   Edward Murton, born 24 January 1819 and Bap. 2 February 1819, Son of John  Murton and Isabel Murton (née Brown)
                                              of Belford. Sponsors: Andrew Murton and Mary Graham
ELLINGHAM RC         Edward Murton, born 24 January 1819, Baptised 2 February 1819, son of John Murton of Fenwick Steads by his wife
                                              Isabel Brown. Sponsors: William Jamison, Ann Cassels
TYNEMOUTH           Edward son of Michael and Elizabeth Murton, Tyne Street, Roper, baptised 7th of August 1822
DODDINGTON                     Edward son of Edward Morton & Elizabeth Rutherford, Horton, Parish of Chatton, Farmer & Single Woman, baptised
                                              26 January 1828
NEWCASTLE ALL SAINTS   Edward son of Ralph and Ann Murton, St. Peter`s, Glassmaker, baptised 17 August, 1829
NEWCASTLE ALL SAINTS    Edward son of William and Frances Morton, Seghill, Pitman, baptised 3 September 1831
NEWCASTLE ST ANDREW   Edward Murton Bell son of Margaret Bell of this Parish, Spinster, baptised 23rd of October 1831 [father was Edward
                                              Murton]
NEWCASTLE ALL SAINTS   Edward son of John and Ann Morton, Pilgrim Street, Tailor, baptised 16 February, 1837
GOSFORTH   Edward son of Charles and Hannah Morton, Brunton Row, Pitman, baptised 3rd of April 1842

As you can see, there is no other candidate, so I think it's same to assume that William and Frances are Edward's parents.
If you want any further help to trace further back, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Andrew Morton

Offline petercr49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 February 17 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew
Many thanks for your rapid and helpful response.  It is encouraging to have someone else with experience to confirm my conclusion.  It was the change from Morton to Murton that put doubt into my mind.
I have marriage record of William Murton and Frances Slater at Earsdon 1 Dec 1827 from Bishops Transcripts.  I have nothing for birth of William other than his age of 42 in 1851 census giving birth about 1809 at Byker.
I can see possible deaths for William 1875 and 1881 both Newcastle and Frances 1864 Tynemouth.  But this would mean they should both be in 1861 census and William in 1871 census but I can't find them anywhere so I have no idea where they were.

As I said I know nothing definite about birth of William and I know nothing about his parents so any information you may have would be useful.

Many thanks
Peter Crowther

Offline andygmandrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 February 17 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Glad to be of help!

I have the record of William's baptism:

William  2nd son of George Murton, cutler, of Sheffield, by his wife Mary Rutter, N. of the P. of Tynemouth, born 22nd October 1808, baptised 4th December 1808 at Earsdon

Also:

George 1st son of George Morton, Shefield, York, soldier, by his wife Mary daughter of Robert Rutter, pitman, of this Chapelry, baptised 16 August, 1807 at Newcastle All Saints

Robert son of George and Mary Morton of Brunton Row, Pitman, baptised 27 November 1822 at Gosforth

Here are George and Mary in the 1841 Census:

Brunton Row, Gosforth, Castle Ward, Northumberland
George   Murton   Male           55           Coal miner         Not born in Northumberland
Mary       Murton   Female     50   -      -                          Northumberland
Robert   Murton   Male           15   -      -                         Northumberland

Robert appears in the 1851 census at Kyo Laws, Stanley, County Durham. I can't trace George or Mary in 1851

For what it's worth:

News: At the Moot Hall, on Saturday the 17th instant, George Murton, of Brunton Row, pitman, was convicted of snaring hares, at the parish of Gosforth, and was ordered to be confined 6 weeks to hard labour, in the house of correction, at Morpeth. (Newcastle Courant, 31st of October 1829)

Advertisement: I GEORGE MORTON, late of Low Epsley, and now of Earsdon Moor, in the County of Northumberland, DO HEREBY GIVE NOTICE, that I will not be answerable for any debt or debts my wife Mary Morton may contract after this notice. Dated the 17th day of May, 1838. GEORGE MORTON. (Northern Liberator, 19th of May 1838)

I hope this is of use to you and do feel free to come back with any further queries you may have.

Kind regards

Andrew Morton

Offline petercr49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 February 17 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that Andrew, you obviously have a lot of information on Morton genealogy.  The information you have sent me has given me plenty to think about, particularly about Williams' father George Murton.  I'm not used to Parish Records and maybe I'm reading them too literally but it looks to me that when son George was born 1807 in Newcastle, his father George was a Soldier of Sheffield!  Then when William was born 1808 in Byker(?), his father George was a Cutler of Sheffield.  Does it just mean George was 'from' Sheffield?  If William was born in Byker why was he baptised at Earsdon rather than in Newcastle like his brother young George?

Very interesting about George Morton conviction for snaring hares; I have seen a record of a William Morton born abt 1811 jailed for a week for larceny at Northumberland County Court 1838.

This leads me to the question, have I got the right William Morton?  Do you know from your records how many William Morton's were born around 1808 in that part of Northumberland?

Are you linked to my Morton line somewhere? Do you live in the North East?  I lived with my parents at my Grandparents near Earsdon until 1953 when we moved to Cheshire.

Many thanks for your help

regards
Peter

Offline andygmandrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 February 17 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,
Something you have to beware of is that there is an area of Newcastle called Shieldfield which is often corrupted to Shefield. However, George senior is shown in the 1841 census as having been born outside Northumberland so I think it's safe to assume he was from Sheffield in Yorkshire. I suspect that he was a young man working as a cutler there (bear in mind that this was during the Napoleonic war) who was drawn in the ballot for the militia and went to serve with a militia regiment in Newcastle (militia regiments were not allowed to go on foreign service). Whilst there he met and married Mary Rutter in 1806 and they had their first child when he was still a soldier. When William was baptised George’s military service had ended and he was therefore described under his civilian trade.
It seems fairly certain that George was in the 3rd West Yorks Militia for I have uncovered a series of newspaper articles which attest to their presence in Newcastle in 1806.

Tyne Mercury 28 January 1806
‘DEATHS
Friday se'nnight, at Doncaster, Serjeant Birley, of the Third West York Militia; and on Sunday his remains were interred with military honours. The same evening William Ibbotson, late drum-major in the above regiment, and who followed Birley to the grave, dropped down in the street, and expired a few minutes afterwards.
Tyne Mercury 18 February 1806
‘MARRIAGES
Wednesday last, at York, Capt. Samson, son of the late Dr. Samson, of Beverley, and captain in the third West York militia, to Miss Anna Story, fourth daughter of George Story, Esq. of Bishopwearmouth, in the county of Durham.’
Newcastle Courant 3 May 1806
‘NEWCASTLE MAY 3.
The Third West York regiment of militia is on the march from Hull for Darlington and Durham’
Tyne Mercury 23 September 1806
‘LOCAL EVENTS
On Tuesday last the Provincial Grand Lodge for Northumberland of Free and Accepted Masons, under the Constitution of the Grand Lodge of England, the Prince of Wales Grand Master, met at Mr. Holburn's, Scotch-Arms, in this town, whence they, moved about twelve o’clock, in masonic procession, to Mr. Colbeck’s, the Chancellor’s-Head, where, after the duties of the lodge were performed, near 200 brethern sat down to a sumptuous dinner. Alter dinner an oration, adapted to the occasion, was delivered by the D. P. G. M. many loyal and appropriate toasts were given, and the afternoon was spent with that hilarity and harmony which characterizes the true mason.—A part of the band of the 3d West York Militia, and other musical brethren, attended, and added much to the conviviality of the day.’

Tyne Mercury 30 September 1806
‘MILITARY NEWS.
On Friday next, the 3d West York, militia march from this town to Sunderland ; the 2d Lancashire from Sunderland to Tynemouth ; and the Sussex from Tynemouth, to this town.
On Friday last as a private of the 2d Weft York militia was drawing his gun in an entry in Newgate street, in this town, the piece unfortunately went off, and shattered his hand in so dreadful a manner, that immediate amputation was found necessary. We understand that the officers of this regiment, in cases of the above nature uniformly display great liberality, by making such an addition to the pension as enables those who happen any accident to live comfortably during the remainder of their lives.’
You might find a muster roll for his unit either in the National Archive or in the West Yorks County Record Office. I think that shortly after that time George left the militia (or deserted – quite common) and at that point he was about to start a job as a coal miner so described himself as a cutler, his old occupation. William would have been baptised in Earsdon for that was Mary’s home parish and where the coal mine would have been.
(continued)

Offline andygmandrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 February 17 23:19 GMT (UK) »
(continued)
Regarding your query about William, here are all the births of Williams from about that time:

WHICKHAM   William 4th son of Peter Murton, Fell. [probably Fellside], Soldier by his wife Isabel Redshaw, daughter of John Redshaw, native of this parish, born 16th of March 1808, baptised 3rd of August 1808 [there is some doubt as to whether Isabel is the same person as Peter Morton’s wife Hannah or her sister by an untraced marriage]

EARSDON   William Murton, b. 22nd October 1808, bap. 4th December 1808, 2nd s. of George Murton, cutler, of Sheffield, by his wife Mary Rutter, N. of the P. of Tynemouth

TYNEMOUTH   William Murton, 6th son of John Murton of Tynemouth, Blockmaker, native of this parish by his wife Jane Whitley, native of St. Johns, Durham, born 25th of January 1809, baptised 17th of February 1809 [buried at Mitford 1 July 1827]

ELLINGHAM ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL   William Murton, born and baptised 21 May 1809, son of John Murton by his wife Isabel Brown. Sponsors: John Brown, Eleanor Brown [Buried at Lowick 24 November 1822]

THOCKRINGTON   William son of Lancelot Murton by his wife Catherine Charlton, born 30th of April 1809, baptised 28th of May 1809

The most likely candidate for George of Sheffield's baptism is:

First name(s)                        GEORGE
Last name                             MORTON
Birth year                              1786
Baptism year                         1786
Baptism day                          12
Baptism month                      March
Mother's first name(s)                 -
Father's first name(s)            Benjamin
Father's occupation                 -
Address                                Warren House
Place                                     MIRFIELD
County                                  Yorkshire, Yorkshire (West Riding)
Country                                 England
Description                            St Mary
Record set                             Huddersfield Baptisms

This is the only Yorkshire baptism for a George Morton which comes anywhere near fitting his likely date of birth as given in the 1841 census which indicates a range of years from 1781 to 1786. I can't guarantee this is the right one but on balance it probably is (assuming he was actually born in Yorkshire). The only thing which makes me uneasy about it is that he didn't name any of his children Benjamin. Always keep an open mind!

I don't think we have a connection, my Mortons are originally from North Durham/Berwick upon Tweed area and migrated to South Shields via Rothbury and Alnwick. I live in Musselburgh in Scotland where we washed up in 1890 in Fife via Rotherham.

Kind regards

Andrew

Offline petercr49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 February 17 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew
Many thanks for all the information.  Apologies for delay in acknowledgement, we had to drop everything to go to our daughters in Stafford as she has health problems.
Am sifting through the information and it all seems to fit convincingly. I need to spend more time making sure I understand it all before I come back to you.  Once again, many thanks for your time and detailed information.

regards
Peter

Offline BigOoms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 February 17 23:30 GMT (UK) »
I am doing a one name study of Mortons/Murtons in Northumberland and the southern bank of the Tyne from South Shields to Ryton.

I have more than 3,800 parish register entries going up to 1841 and in addition I have wills, admons, Marriage Bonds, Legal cases, Militia lists, Hearth tax, newspaper entries, etc. and all the entries in the 1841 and 1851 censuses including strays.

I'm happy to look anything up for you if you have a query.

Andrew Morton

Offline BigOoms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 February 17 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew,
I wonder if you have time to look and see if there is a marriage  in Belford after 1773 between an
     Elizabeth Morton and an Edward Murdy.
Sometime ago you found what I think is her birth --- dau of William Morton and a Jane Sanderson  of Berwick upon Tweed.   William of Belford ----Elizabeth born around 1758/9  or even recorded as Eliza.
Thanking you,
Big Ooms