Author Topic: John Silas Cole - Humboldt County, California - 1900  (Read 22423 times)

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Silas Cole - Humboldt County, California - 1900
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 20:39 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this list is current, but there is a volunteer who does look-ups in Humboldt County listed here:  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~obitl/volca.html

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Good find, Shelly!  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline hawk64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Excellent work from you both and I will explore those avenues.

John's letter to the Sydney City Corporation is dated Oct 9 1867 and asks for all correspondence to be forwarded to the Wells Fargo office in San Francisco. The letter date ties up with the directory reference of 1867 and 1868.

As for the earlier dates, they are also very possible. Even though he married in England in 1862, he could have been in the US in 1861. As he followed in his father's footsteps as a mariner, let me briefly tell you what I have discovered about the father. He married in England in 1819, fathered six children, sailed to Australia, married a convict widow in 1834, disappeared from Australia for a year (as he was back in England fathering another son with his English wife) then reappeared back in Australia where he remained. So as to what John got up to, I am not surprised of anything.

Having a copy of John's letter is wonderful. I only discovered it by accident when I was researching his father (who is connected to my family). John's letter brought up some anomalies which has led on this investigation. It's all very fascinating as John's father died a millionaire (in our money) and several of his houses still stand today in Sydney. They have a slight harbour view so they have million dollar price tags.

Now on to something exciting - I think I have found Harriet. There is a Harriet Cole appearing in the 1871 UK census. She is a lodger with some other people. The age recorded is close, the area she is living in is close to where the families were - and the place of birth is exactly correct (and it's not Ireland). If this is her, and I think it is, John has done a runner (as we say here). He may have already met Mary in his travels and may have already married her in the USA. Like father, like son.

All very interesting and once again thanks for the help   

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael:

Thank you for sharing your story.  We get to know a little bit about the lives of our ancestors/ancestors' spouses when we find out day-to-day events.  We also find out that our own ancestors and their siblings weren't the only ones to have double lives (I also have a relative in my tree who had a family in Canada and another one in the UK).

I wonder if there might be another possibility for John's and Harriet's split?  I have an ancestor who got married in March 1857 (the same ancestor as mentioned above) and sailed to North America in April (I believe it was April).  Did he propose to the girl, telling her he was headed to Canada and they rushed the wedding before his sailing?  Did they marry and then decide to leave for Canada?  I'll probably never know why they left England.

Could your John S. have married Harriet and then decided to live elsewhere?  Perhaps Harriet didn't want to leave her family and chose to leave him instead, to remain in England?

If we can find documents (such as obituaries) about them after 1900, they might give more information about the Cole's earlier lives.  There is a slight chance that it might mention how long they were married or where they were married.  I'll have a look outside of California for their marriage.

PS  It's great that you may have found Harriet!
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 03:37 GMT (UK) »
If the Coles were still living in San Francisco in 1868, and relocated soon after that, I think I may have found a good reason for them to have left the San Francisco Bay Area.

I don't like to recommend sites that I don't know are safe (so I won't)  ;) but, if you do an internet search for the 1868 San Francisco earthquake (the epicentre was in Hayward, California), you can see images of the San Francisco buildings and read a bit about the quake.

If the Coles did live near Howard or Beale, I would imagine they would have felt pretty strong shaking.   :-\

Offline hawk64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 06 November 15 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

Yes, it seems he and Mary headed north when the earthquake struck. I wonder if he ever got a reply to his letter of 1867. He was searching for a copy of his father's will - when he visited him in Australia during the 1850s, he would probably have realised that Dad was doing well financially but maybe not health-wise. His letter indicates that Dad said he would tend to his affairs - well, he did, but the members of his English family didn't receive a cracker. In fact, his English wife ended up dying in a poorhouse.

I'm also tracing the recipients of the father's will. He gave some real estate to a couple in Sydney and I can't find anything on them. It's just another twist in the mystery. Don't me get started on the convict wife's Australian husband who was allegedly murdered.

I have found John's (and his brother's) merchant navy registration. Believe it or not, he was even John Silas on that form. Anyway, he first went to sea at the age of 14 and served as a cuddy (which is a waiter/kitchen-hand). He was in Calcutta in 1846 and in Australia in the 1850s. He got around.

I might write a book on this.

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 06 November 15 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like a good plot for a movie!

You are really lucky to know as much as you do about this family.  Many people search for years and never find what they are looking for.

Offline debbieeh

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Hoping you can help me with a brick wall I have please.  I’ve come across your post to the Rootschat site dated back in 2015.
An ancestor of mine was Henry Thomas COLE who married Elizabeth Macdonald 1819 London.
The had 7 children, I descend from the last one, Elizabeth Jane who ended up in Australia, marrying Tom Tratt.
One of their children, Aline, married Joseph Perrin and one of their children Ada, was my dad’s mum.
She has notes that her grandmother (Elizabeth Jane) told her how she recalled coming out to Oz with her mum and maybe a brother (maybe Silas?) and waiting at the dock for their father’s ship to arrive.  Apparently he walked right past them and went off with his Melbourne wife.  In my Nana’s notes, his name was now George Ward Cole.
George Ward Cole ended up a very wealthy man, he became a ship’s captain, he was then an MP in Melbourne (Cole’s Wharf was named after him), he founded the Victorian seaside town of St Leonards, it was a ‘company’ town. He and his Melbourne wife, Thomas Ann McCrae, lived in a house on the cliff tops of Brighton and had 6 children, most dying young and seemingly all childless.
I have been trying to confirm he was actually Henry Thomas but to no avail.  I found his IGI birth registration was submitted by an uncle, Thomas James (on George’s mother’s side) but Thomas Ann McCrae’s birth registration was also submitted by Thomas James! Makes me think they were both done when they were adults, perhaps prior to marrying and needing birth certificates?
George also married in 1824 to an English woman in India and they had a son, Luke Ward Cole who came out to Oz when he was 21 but one New Year’s Day was out in a boat with George and others, and Luke drowned.
I know Henry Thomas was a mariner.  I can’t help but wonder if he was born Henry Thomas and became George Ward or born George and became Henry while he was married to Elizabeth!
But then I see in your Rootsweb post, how Henry Thomas lived in Sydney and was married to a convict’s wife and was a millionaire. I’m wondering what name he went by and if it was George Ward/Henry Thomas masquerading as someone else, or if George Ward has nothing to do with us after all. Although my Nana couldn’t have plucked his name from nowhere and the Ward was carried on as a middle name further along the line.  She also had some news clippings re George.
I would love to hear of your connection and just who the Sydney man was and where it all fits in please!
Talk about having a wife in every port!!
I also note you had Henry’s London wife Elizabeth dying in a poorhouse – was that in Oz or did she return to England?  The only possible death reg. I could find (way back when I first started this) was a death of an Eliza Cole in Sydney in 1869 aged 79.
Really hoping we can connect and maybe my brick wall might fall down!
Cheers Debbie

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 15:55 BST (UK) »

I am trying to find out what happened to John Silas Cole and his wife Mary.

According to the 1900 Census, they were living in Eureka Township, Humboldt County, California.
John was around 70 years old, his wife Mary around 63.

The trail goes cold after 1900 and if anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

California Death Index
J S Cole, born c1827
Death:  25 September 1907, Humboldt

Ferndale Enterprise
Ferndale, California
Friday, September 27, 1907
Page: 4