Author Topic: WW1 on the 9th May 1915  (Read 1930 times)

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 on the 9th May 1915
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 09:22 GMT (UK) »
The granny of James Melrose worked as a nursery maid in the house of John Haig (father of Douglas and whisky distiller) in Edinburgh. She married in Nov. 1860 and James's father was born in 1861. Douglas Haig was born June 1861. It is interesting that there was this slim connection.
Can you tell me what does the term 1st Army cover?

regards Mirrin

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 19:05 GMT (UK) »
1st Army was just that - the army numbered 1. 

The British Expeditionary Force arrived in France in August 1914 as a force of about 80,000 men commanded by Sir John French. It was divided into 2 Corps - I Corp (commanded by Haig) and II Corps (soon to be commanded by Smith-Dorrien).

As the BEF grew to 1,000,000 and more it was subdivided into Armies (1st to 5th) each with a  number of Corps (typically 4) of a number of Divisions (typically 2 to 4) of 3 Brigades of 4 Battalions (these are the infantry - at all levels there were support troops from artillery, engineers, medical, etc). Generally the Division was the principle unit (around 20,000 men at full strength). Divisions would be moved from Corps to Corps, Army to Army as required. Thus all numbers were subject to variation!

Haig commanded I Corps, then 1st Army then the BEF.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 15:56 GMT (UK) »
 Newburychap,
Appreciate the information, many thanks

Offline Sparkydog35

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mirren,  I came across this post tonight by chance doing my family tree.  My ancestor, CQMS 6976 Robert Stewart DUNCAN died on the same day in the same battle and part of the same regiment.  He was promoted to Company Quartermaster Serjeant Major just before being killed in action on the 9th May 1915. 
He also was in India where all his children were born save my Grandmother who was born back in Scotland. 
He was and part of the Bareilly Brigade in the Meerut Division and also fought in the Boar War.  On a recent visit to Sandhurst I found the Bareilly Brigade regimental badge on the wall and have a newspaper clipping with a photo of him 
They must have known each other?
I found his name in the War Diaries via Ancestry.