Author Topic: Shipping in Whitehaven Cumberland 1700's  (Read 2120 times)

Offline popsit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Shipping in Whitehaven Cumberland 1700's
« on: Sunday 01 November 15 21:23 GMT (UK) »
 :D Hello,
It has been a long while since I was here, however I desperately need help with my "brickwall". For many years I have worked on this to no avail so am hoping I am in the right place asking the right question.
I have a MUNGO PERRY (not shouted) who was a mariner in the 1700's in whitehaven. All I have is a death date of 15th May 1778 in Whitehaven. Mungo (spelt many ways as was his surname) was married to a JANE ? and they had six children between 1733-1747, all born Workington St Micheal. Jane died 2nd April 1781 aged 78 and was described as "widow of Mungo Perry mariner".
I cannot find anything on him except for the above. I did find him once in a census staying at a type of boarding house (possibly for seamen) with his name only.
Where did he come from, what type of mariner was he, where did he marry, so many questions with no answers. I would be very very appreciative if anyone can help at all. Thank you (fingers crossed)

Popsit ???
Be good to your Mum

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping in Whitehaven Cumberland 1700's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 November 15 22:00 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find anything on him except for the above. I did find him once in a census staying at a type of boarding house (possibly for seamen) with his name only.

I'm not quite sure what sort of census this would be if he died before 1781. ???
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 November 15 22:21 GMT (UK) »
There are churches in Cumbria named for Glagow's patron Saint Mungo, Keswick I think, for example, he was down there converting the heathen.  ;D

When the Glasgow Tobacco Lords started trading with the American colonies they at first chartered Whitehaven ships.

Skoosh.

Offline popsit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 November 15 03:47 GMT (UK) »

I'm not quite sure what sort of census this would be if he died before 1781. ???

Thank you for your reply. The census I speak of was found for me by someone who was helping me. It wasn't a census as we know one today. All it was was all the people who were staying at this particular place with no more than their names.

popsit
Be good to your Mum

Offline popsit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 November 15 03:54 GMT (UK) »
There are churches in Cumbria named for Glagow's patron Saint Mungo, Keswick I think, for example, he was down there converting the heathen.  ;D

When the Glasgow Tobacco Lords started trading with the American colonies they at first chartered Whitehaven ships.

Skoosh.

Thank you also for your reply. For fear of sounding thick are you saying I might get somewhere if I try to find Keswick records.

popsit

Be good to your Mum

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 November 15 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Popsit, just a stab at why somebody in Cumbria might be called Mungo.

Skoosh.

Offline popsit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 November 15 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Popsit, just a stab at why somebody in Cumbria might be called Mungo.

Skoosh.
You could be right as up till now I have been thinking and looking into Scotland thinking with a name like that he had to be born there, however, now with your info it puts a new light on it. Thank you lots for that.

popsit
Be good to your Mum

Offline popsit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 00:11 GMT (UK) »

Thought I would let you know of this census as I went back in my records to find it. The person helping me at the time was a Chris Dickinson he quotes "this however comes from the 1762 census for Whitehaven"

Queen street proprietor Mary Burrow..inhabitants, there were thirteen and one of them was a Mongo Perry sailor. Four other men were sailors also  hence me thinking that it might have been a place where sailors stayed

popsit

Thank you for your reply. The census I speak of was found for me by someone who was helping me. It wasn't a census as we know one today. All it was was all the people who were staying at this particular place with no more than their names.

popsit
Be good to your Mum

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 08:18 GMT (UK) »

popsit

I did once browse that census (assuming it is the one in Whitehaven RO).  I had forgotten it was as early as 1762.  My 'haven people hadn't crossed the water at that time.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.