Author Topic: Bangor Endowed School?  (Read 1880 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Bangor Endowed School?
« on: Thursday 14 July 05 11:37 BST (UK) »
I am a stranger to Welsh research, but my English 3xg-grandfather, Joseph Henry INGRAM, was in Bangor at the time of the 1861 census, calling himself "Assistant Master at the Bangor Endowed School".  He and his family were living on what looks to be "Fronhenley Terrace" (enumerator's writing is shocking!) which was just along from "Upper Bangor Liverpool Vaults".  The census ref is RG9/4350 Folio 65 Page 9.

I'm mentioning their address because it might help someone to identify where the Bangor Endowed School was.  I'm interested in finding out more about it (if indeed there is anything to find out!).

Thanks for any help

Prue

Offline jjq

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Bangor Endowed School?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 July 05 14:59 BST (UK) »
I cannot help with the school - but the address might be "Fronheulog Terrace", which I believe still exists - in Upper Bangor" (did a google search after looking at the address on the census entry).

Hope this helps.

I believe there was a Bangor Grammar School, and that there is a current secondary school - called Ysgol Friars. (Ysgol is the welsh for school).

Jan
Hertfordshire - Stone, Wells, Quarry,Claxton
London - Sutton (Southwark/Clerkenwell), Phillips (Clerkenwell), Stone (Chelsea)
Suffolk - Turner & Rogers (Lavenham)
Norfolk - (K)Nobbs & Germany (Norwich)
Middlesex - Shackell
Anywhere - Quarry & variants
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Bangor Endowed School?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 July 05 16:04 BST (UK) »
that there is a current secondary school - called Ysgol Friars. (Ysgol is the welsh for school).

Yes, we used to thrash them regularly at rugby and cricket. ;D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II