Author Topic: What happened to Albert W R Duly?  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Butterfly2009

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Albert W R Duly?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 December 19 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Enid did get a divorce from Albert. Honestly don't know the date but I do know that she did marry my grandfather Carl Askroth and moved to the United States with him. They had one daughter in 1948. Enid died in 1984 leaving behind Carl and her daughter.

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 December 19 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Butterfly welcome to Rootschat,

David hasn't been on here since April 2019,but as long as he hasn't changed his email address,he will be notified that we have both posted here and hopefully come back and reply to you.

Regards

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 December 19 10:26 GMT (UK) »
A search on Google and Google Books brings up lots of references for " A W R Duly" - he published his anthropological observations.

"The late Mr. A. W. R. Duly was a Customs Officer in the Nyasaland Government Service. Whilst stationed at Port Herald he devoted much ..."

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 28 January 21 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Butterfly2009 carol8353 & ShaunJ,

My apologies for my non response until now. The major reason being that my PC died on me which left me offline for quite some time. Was unable to do anything about it until fairly recently due to financial constraints. Even now I'm only using a laptop but it is better than nothing!

Butterfly2009, many thanks for getting in touch & confirming the divorce. much appreciated. Do you know anything about Enid's family, parents etc? I have a fair bit of info regarding her family, which I will happily share.

carol8353, many thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

ShaunJ, many thanks for that info, great stuff, fantastic, much appreciated.

After a lot of research, I can now largely confirm Albert William Reginald Duly's (1913-1946) story. He was employed by the UK Customs & Excise department on or around 25th October 1932. He married Enid Mabel Kettle in 1934 (Dec Qtr Tendring Registration district), Tendring covers Dovercourt where Enid was born, so I suspect that that is where they married. Dovercourt is next door to Harwich in Essex.

At some point in the 1930's he becomes Customs officer in Nyasaland (Now Malawi) in central Africa, stationed at Port Herald. He is shown on the 1939 Register in Fulham, London with his wife, his parents, are living next door. I wonder if he had returned to the UK at this time in an attempt to save his marriage or at least deal with the divorce. He then clearly returns to Nyasaland (Malawi), where he sadly dies in 1946.

His death occurred as a result of being aboard the ferry Vipya, which sank on Lake Nyasa (now Lake Malawi) on 30th July 1946. It was the Vipya's fourth voyage & it capsized and sank during a storm on the lake. Figures show that 145 of the 194 passengers and crew drowned.

In his spare time Albert W R Duly was an anthropologist & his notes were printed in the Nyasaland Journal by the Society of Malawi in July 1948 (Volume 1 No 2).

Link to Albert's notes in the journal here: https://www.jstor.org/stable/29545572?refreqid=excelsior%3A82ec56bfac368f2a3ada9beb37a8132a&seq=1

The link above will only show you the first page, which begins with the biographical info about Albert.

Albert's mother Sarah Mildred Duly (Nee' Phillips) was my gt gt aunt, just to clarify my link to Albert.

Apologies again for delayed response.

Kind regards

David.
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)