Author Topic: Crosthwaite marriages  (Read 905 times)

Offline Jenny1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Crosthwaite marriages
« on: Tuesday 10 November 15 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello

just wondered if anyone had transcriptions for Crosthwaite marriages on 22/02/1874. The marriage is between JAMES WHINERAY and MARY ANN TELFORD.

I am having difficulty tracing James from his birth in around 1852/3 Ravenglass. I know that his father was named JOHN (from information on IGI) but I need to know his occupation.

I thought I had found him with parents John and Ann in 1861 in Lindale, Upper Allithwaite, Lancashire, but this is the wrong family.

Any help much appreciated

many thanks

Jenny

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crosthwaite marriages
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 17:21 GMT (UK) »
you might find the attached interesting. They are from Andrews Newspaper Index Cards.

Moderator comment: copyright image removed.  Images from copyright databases and commercial sites may not be posted on RootsChat.
Bookless,Varty, Collins, Birchall, Nicholson, Corlett, Barnett

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 17:22 GMT (UK) »
and

Moderator comment: copyright image removed.  Images from copyright databases and commercial sites may not be posted on RootsChat.

Offline Jenny1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thank you meintajb for your reply. I have had a problem with this family as their name is spelled in so many ways. Now I Know John's occupation I might be lucky in finding them on 1861 census. Here goes.....

Thanks again for your help

Jenny

Offline Jenny1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi again mientajb

The only Whineray I've found in 1861 that could be James is a J WHINNEY aged 9 in the Workhouse in Preston Quarter. On the actual census his name looks like Whinneray. There's also an M (female) below aged 6.

I've found a marriage between JOHN WHINERAY and SARAH PEARSON on 08/01/1851 in Crosthwaite. Could you please see if this is the John Whineray (joiner) please?

I've also found a death for a John WHINNERAY in 1859 in Whitehaven. Just wondered if both parents had died and that's why James was in workhouse. Just a theory at the moment.

Hope you don't mind me asking for another look up.

regards

Jenny

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Interesting. in 1871 James is an apprentice Coach Builder and is a lodger in Preston Qtr, Whitehaven. Place of birth given as Ravenglas. in 1881 he is living in Whitehaven and is a Coach Builder, place of birth is Ravenglas. Same for 1901.

The 1861 census is Preston qtr but the place of birth is given as Whitehaven. Now this could just be an error.

I shall keep on digging.

Alan

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 20:56 GMT (UK) »

In 1874 when James gets married he seems to know the occupation of his father. Would this be the case if he was orphaned at 9?

There is a John Whineray in the 1871 census working as a farm servant in Bootle, Cumbria. He is married and born in Ravenglas.

I can not find his wife Sarah in 1871, nor can I find any census forms for 1861.

This is about as far as I can get, (I do have the names of James' children if you want them). Happy hunting.

Alan

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 07:18 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth of a James Whinnerah in March Qtr 1852   Bootle    10b   491 .  The district covers Ravenglass and I can't see this James in 1861(unless he is the J Whinnery in the Preston Qtr Workhouse) so he should be a candidate for your James?

Kay

Offline Jenny1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Alan & Kay
thank you for taking time to look for this elusive family!

Alan: The John in 1871 was married to Isabella according to the 1861 census and I hadn't thought that James wouldn't know the occupation of his father. The children I have for James are: John James, Jane, George and Ernest.

Kay: I had seen the birth in Bootle but as I'm not from Cumbria I didn't know what area it covers so thanks for that.

Well this might just be the dreaded brickwall but thanks again for all your help. Much appreciated.

Jenny