Author Topic: VICTORIA BDM INDEX - NEW SERVICE - FREE TO SEARCH AND VIEW RESULTS. COMPLETED  (Read 9318 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: VICTORIA BDM INDEX - NEW SERVICE - FREE TO SEARCH AND VIEW RESULTS
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 12 November 15 03:51 GMT (UK) »
I wonder though if they might raise the price of images as a result? I always speculated that the relatively low price for images ($25, used to be $20) was because they were charging for index searches?  NSW is $31 and SA $45 (admittedly these are certified copies, rather than just images).

Images were raised to $24 in ?July.  I doubt the $20 and $17.50 charged in past years were because of the index searches.  So many people have discs/fiche and they are available at libraries, genealogy centres, online subscription websites or one could request lookups at one of the many online family history forums.  If you wanted to purchase an image you only need the surname, event, registration number and year so why would you search the index for .99.

In NSW and SA you can obtain transcriptions so why purchase certified certificates.

I'm going to mark this topic as completed as I don't feel it is needed any longer and I ask a mod to move it to the Resources and Offers Board for Victoria.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk