Author Topic: Torboy & Lugmore  (Read 5963 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Torboy & Lugmore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 18:22 GMT (UK) »
He's looking at this
https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Torboy,+Co.+Longford/@53.6317361,-7.7749124,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x485dcda403f40c7b:0xcff0902007b9602e

When you look up James Lennon Torboy in GV and use the slider to the modern map, you can see the Lugmore name the same way.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 18:26 GMT (UK) »
The type face on Lugmore is different from the names of the townlands, they are all capitals and it has a capital at the start than lower case.

that could be significant

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 19:07 GMT (UK) »
There are quite a lot of places with this mixed typeface, which I couldn't get a result for googling, I think they are the names people have given their homes.
So I had a look at a place I'm familiar with

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ggp/

See Barretstown and BARRETSTOWN the first is a house the second is the townland
also the various names beginning MORRISTOWN are townlands while Morristown Lattin is a house.

That's my theory anyway..........

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who posted.  Sinann, you appear to be on to something.  I checked the map for places I'm familiar with also.  I didn't find the name of the house for every one, but I did see two of them.  The house names are not similar to the village names either.  This explanation just might fly. I deeply appreciate everyone's willingness to help.   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 November 15 13:44 GMT (UK) »
I think, looking at Google maps for Torboy, that Lugmore is merely part of the townland of Torboy that lies up that lane (in Northern Ireland we call such a cluster of houses a clachan, not sure if there would be a local word for it in Longford). The satellite view shows the dwellings.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 November 15 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Exactly! And that supports Sinann's theory that the name is that given to a house.  Thanks for the additional observation. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 November 15 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear enough earlier. I believe that Lugmore is the name for the cluster of houses up that lane and not the name of one particular property.

Although a townland is the smallest administrative division, within a townland there are often descriptive names for sections of that townland. For example, in our townland the roadside houses were known as G-- Hill, the clachan behind us was D-- Hill with Bog-- next to them, etc.
On official forms the townland name would mostly be given but other times the 'address' varied with both place names being used in church records (including marriage register), newspaper reports & announcements, letters, and so on.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 November 15 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes, and I've seen some of what you're explaining in other places.  However, the heart of the question is whether or not Lugmore is a different townland than Torboy.  Your explanation helps clarify the issue because whether Lugmore is one house or a cluster, it's still part of Torboy, not a different townland.  You've giving me a different route to the same answer.  Many thanks.