Author Topic: Which Mary Baugh?  (Read 789 times)

Offline Phillip Barnett

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Which Mary Baugh?
« on: Wednesday 11 November 15 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm tracing Barnetts and Wicksteads amongst others in Shropshire, and I have traced back to a Mary Baugh of Little Wenlock, married Joseph Shepherd in 30 March 1730 in Little Wenlock. Doing the usual 'deduct 20 years from marriage date' I looked for a Mary Baugh born around 1710, and found two, both born 1711, one in April, one in August. So I'm stuck - and can't make an intelligent deduction as to which one is correct. Neither set of parents have names echoed in her children, which has occasionally cleared up an ambiguity. It's a long shot, but does anyone have any further ideas?
Many thanks
Phil

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which Mary Baugh?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 November 15 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phillip and welcome to Rootschat - sorry to say but there is also a Mary Baugh b 1704 in Little Wenlock christened 23rd June 1704 - parents John and Margrett - do the names John or Margrett appear in names of Joseph and Marys children ?
that Mary would still only be 25 at the marriage - so I wouldn't rule her out just yet..
also Mary Baugh christened  9th April 1703 in Little Wenlock - parents Richard and Abigail - that would make her 26 at the marriage ..
sorry to give you more headaches - but at the moment you can't rule these other 2 out - FOUR christened within 8 years and only one marries in Little Wenlock between 1720 and 1730 ...
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline PhillipB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 November 15 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi - yes, thanks for the welcome, and the helpful advice.Yes, I had noticed the other Mary Baughs too - was just trying to avoid thinking about them. It's incredible that a village, which even now only has a population of 500 or so,could have had so many people deciding to call their children the same name in a small period ... :-(

Offline Shrop63

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 November 15 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Phillip, both names i am familiar with, i,m sure i have found Joseph Shepherd in research before, and a Baugh-i will check my records!
Parton
Poole
Clare
Jones
Ellis

Vaughan
Watkiss

Offline PhillipB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 November 15 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi ShropshireLad,
That sounds promising - do please let me know - sounds like we might be related!

Offline Shrop63

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 December 15 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, i have a William Baugh signed on my GGGGGG GF marriage cert from 1763, will try to see any link with a Mary
Parton
Poole
Clare
Jones
Ellis

Vaughan
Watkiss