Author Topic: 1939 Register - date query  (Read 2252 times)

Offline ladynicotine

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1939 Register - date query
« on: Thursday 12 November 15 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I apologise if this has already been covered.  I've been looking up my grandparents on the 1939 register, & I've found a listing for one grandmother giving her name, then her maiden name in brackets.  It's definitely the correct person as all the names match up, as does the date of birth & place she was living.  The only problem is my grandparents didn't actually get married until 1944, so she should just be listed under her maiden name. 

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be the case?  I haven't accessed the record itself yet, as I don't want to start buying credits if it's going to be a total waste of time.

Many thanks

Lady Nicotine
Eastwood - Kent/Sussex; Apted, Phillips- Sussex; Jermy - Norfolk; Grove - Buckinghamshire; Coles - London; Pilgrim, Harvey - Kent/Essex; Gambrell/Gambrill - Kent

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register - date query
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 November 15 12:35 GMT (UK) »
My mother's entry on the 1939 gave me a considerable shock as she was shown with both her maiden name and her married name - my parents didn't marry till 1941.

I was fascinated to think that perhaps they might have lived together ahead of marriage - which I couldn't believe!

But in fact the register was updated with later marriages, so I think yours will be the same - your grandmother listed as she was in 1939, single, with her maiden name; and then an added update after her marriage showing her married name.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 November 15 13:20 GMT (UK) »
I had the same problem. Were they living in sin? No. A Census is dormant for one hundred years. No touching it. The 1939 Index was a live document which was sometimes changed from time to time in its long life. A marriage would be entered for women (or at least a married name).

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 November 15 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Were they living at the same address is the question.  If not then I agree probably the married name was added afterwards.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 November 15 13:27 GMT (UK) »
The ones who marry during WW2 all have their married name as the first name and the initial name in brackets afterwards - someone suggested it was to do with the ration books,

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 November 15 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Amendments were made to the register right up until 1991.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 November 15 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I apologise if this has already been covered.  I've been looking up my grandparents on the 1939 register, & I've found a listing for one grandmother giving her name, then her maiden name in brackets.  It's definitely the correct person as all the names match up, as does the date of birth & place she was living.  The only problem is my grandparents didn't actually get married until 1944, so she should just be listed under her maiden name. 

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be the case?  I haven't accessed the record itself yet, as I don't want to start buying credits if it's going to be a total waste of time.

Many thanks

Lady Nicotine

Many did live together before marriage it was not unheard of.
One good thing about the 1939 National Register is you can see whether they were using their maiden name or living together as a couple using the married name.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline ladynicotine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 November 15 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I didn't realise that the document was updated over time.  I know that they didn't live together before marriage - there were what you might call "parental objections" from his mother, that meant the relationship nearly didn't last.  Unfortunately for my grandmother, his mother then wound up living with them until she died.

Many thanks to everyone.

Lady N
Eastwood - Kent/Sussex; Apted, Phillips- Sussex; Jermy - Norfolk; Grove - Buckinghamshire; Coles - London; Pilgrim, Harvey - Kent/Essex; Gambrell/Gambrill - Kent

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 November 15 12:49 GMT (UK) »
I think (not entirely sure) that the first surname given is the most recent surname that appeared when the register was updated, and those that appear in brackets were names that they had previously used (e.g. maiden names and previous marriages), so the name in brackets was the name they were using in 1939. That's explains your grandmother's entry. If you purchase the image you can see for sure which was her surname at the time and which was a later amendment.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!