Author Topic: Lloyds on the Wirral  (Read 1583 times)

Offline ScouseScholar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lloyds on the Wirral
« on: Thursday 12 November 15 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there might be anyone who can give me any further information about Romany gypsies called 'Lloyd' on the Wirral. My great great grandmother was born in 1900, or possibly before, and lived in the Wallasey area up until her death which was likely sometime in the late '60s or early '70s. She was widely known locally as 'Gypsy Lloyd' and although she was living in a house before that, I believe she was a traveller in the traditional sense for the majority of her life.

I suspect she was my grandfather's paternal grandmother - And if she was the mother of his father, then it gets strange because my grandfather was told that his father had died of TB and I don't believe he ever met him. Whether this is true or not, I'm not certain. It all seems very mysterious. My grandfather was born in 1940 and so I would be interested to know if there were any Romany gypsy communities active on the Wirral in the late 1930s up until 1940.

Were there any gypsies in this area at that time, or perhaps before, who went by the name 'Lloyd'? And are there any connections I should follow up on? How many other Romany gypsy families associated with the name 'Lloyd' are there?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Lloyds on the Wirral
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 November 15 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

I don't thinkl Lloyd was a common Romany surname - but I'm no expert

To determine any possible connection you would have to research your Lloyd ancestry.  However - if your grandfather is still alive, his name etc should not be shown here as Rootschat has a "no living persons" policy

Was he born in Liverpool and were his parents William M Lloyd and Susannah nee Tasker?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ScouseScholar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 November 15 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

I don't thinkl Lloyd was a common Romany surname - but I'm no expert

To determine any possible connection you would have to research your Lloyd ancestry.  However - if your grandfather is still alive, his name etc should not be shown here as Rootschat has a "no living persons" policy

Was he born in Liverpool and were his parents William M Lloyd and Susannah nee Tasker?

Ah, apologies for that I will edit it accordingly. And my Dad says that his paternal grandmother was called 'Sue', so that certainly sounds correct! The Romany woman referred to as 'Gypsy Lloyd' who lived in Wallasey would have been the mother of that William M Lloyd. I would be interested to know if it states who his parents actually are and how they relate to the Romanys.

Thank you so much for your help!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 November 15 22:51 GMT (UK) »
There is a Susannah Tasker birth in Liverpool in 1905

Births December qtr 1905 
Susannah Tasker   Toxteth Park    8b   190

Which fits with this death

Name:   Sussanah Lloyd aged 82 born 11 Oct 1905
Date of Registration:   May 1988   Wallasey Volume 37 Page   950
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 November 15 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Lloyd is a very common surname so we would need more info about your great grandfather William to establish the right person.

When did he die and where?

Do you know where and when he was born?

He also had the initial M - did that stand for Myler as well or some other name

Offline ScouseScholar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 November 15 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Lloyd is a very common surname so we would need more info about your great grandfather William to establish the right person.

When did he die and where?

Do you know where and when he was born?

He also had the initial M - did that stand for Myler as well or some other name

The Susannah Tasker is definitely my Dad's paternal grandmother. As for her husband the 'William M. Lloyd', I am certain that the M also stood for Myler. I can find no information about him. My grandfather was always told that he had died of TB when he was a child. The 'William M. Lloyd' would also be the son of the 'Gypsy Lloyd' woman who lived in Wallasey who was certainly a Romany gypsy.

I believe that 'Gypsy Lloyd' would have been born at some point in the 1800s and so I would be interested to know if there were any Romany gypsies who were connected to the Merseyside area who went by the name 'Lloyd'.

Is it really rare for Romany gypsies to go by the name 'Lloyd'?

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 November 15 05:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello welcome. I have. Never  heard of Lloyd in traveller circles. But name changes are common. There are/were lots of Romany people In and around Liverpool. And it's outlying areas.My own included. Years back. Mostly because of the pottery trade. But as we tend to be hawkers.  It gave access to loads of things to sell. The only thing is we don't say we are gypsies. And don't advertise the fact. By calling ourselves it.. But look at other names In the family groups. And their occupations. Also those around them. See what they are doing for a living in the Censuses. As we tend to camp.Or stay around one another. You can find lots of info this way. Romany genes is a good start site. Olso Lloyd may be a Romany name. Its just myself And my family going back.  don't know it. Not a great help I know.  Rob
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline ScouseScholar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 November 15 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob,

Thank you for the reply! I did hear that the Petulengro family went by the name 'Lloyd' on official documents and we bear a striking resemblance to many photographs of them (My grandfather is the absolute image of Leon Petulengro) so I don't know if perhaps my grandfather's grandmother was a relative of theirs or what the situation was.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 November 15 15:39 GMT (UK) »
You really need to buy a copy of the marriage between Susannah and William.  It can't be looked up in parish records as www.lancashirebmd.org.uk shows it as either a civil marriage or possibly in a Catholic church

You can order via the above website by clicking on the reference at the far right of the entry - REG_LP/430/249 and clicking on the "order online " option.  It costs £10

Alternatively, you can apply via the GRO for £9.25 at    www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
Here is the reference you need to apply for a copy via the GRO

March quarter 1934  (District) Liverpool Volume 8B Page 257

The cert will give William's age and show whether he was a bachelor or a widower.  It should also show his fathers name and occupation

There should be at least 2 witnesses so if one was surname Lloyd - it may help when looking for him on the 1901/1911 census