Author Topic: Windows 10 upgrade!  (Read 8580 times)

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 upgrade!
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Some laptops are incompatible with windows 10 for one reason or another. In some cases the manufacturer has not produced drivers for all their devices.

The main Samsung web page seems pretty useless and doesn't seem to be able to direct you to the right place for compatibility issues. However the link below takes you to a page where you can put your details in and find out what the issues are. If you put in Laptop, Series 3 it will give you more information.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/windows10/upgrade.html

It does state that if you have 32bit OS you will have problems.

Samsung or MS fault? They will of course blame each other.

Simon

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 14:33 GMT (UK) »
I bit the bullet (took the upgrade) at 3.40 this afternoon. I shuddered at the 20 minute interval on screen, but in the event the upgrade took less than 5 minutes, no problems so far and no noticeable changes. No doubt I have those privileges to come!

Redroger,

The Windows 10 upgrade takes well over an hour (more like 1 1/2 to 2) including a 20 minute download period. It's like a new installation. I think your five minute update was just an ordinary update.

Simon

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 15:57 GMT (UK) »
I've spent the last hour "chatting" with an MS helpdesk engineer. Gave them access to the laptop via remote control and things seemed to be moving along. Now a reboot instigated by him has failed, the chat window has finished and I'm left in limbo. Neither chat nor phone contact requests are working. Apple Mac looks better all the time....

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 18:00 GMT (UK) »
I bit the bullet (took the upgrade) at 3.40 this afternoon. I shuddered at the 20 minute interval on screen, but in the event the upgrade took less than 5 minutes, no problems so far and no noticeable changes. No doubt I have those privileges to come!

Redroger,

The Windows 10 upgrade takes well over an hour (more like 1 1/2 to 2) including a 20 minute download period. It's like a new installation. I think your five minute update was just an ordinary update.

Simon
Simon, It does seem to have been the upgrade, though I have not yet checked the build number to confirm it, too busy using the machine. Your comments about Samsung, I fully agree. Amongst other things Kies no longer works, can just about instal on the machine, but try to open it and it immediately stops! As you say their site is a complete mess. I think that part of the problem with my phone is that it is a Galaxy3 GT19300 3 years old, and the version of Android has been upgraded twice. Difficult if you want to free up phone space for photos; however as a work around I paid 88p for "Wi Fi file transfer Pro" which is useable and can transfer photos onto the computer; a decent workaround at least.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 20:35 GMT (UK) »

I let Windows 10 upgrade last night and it took about 90 minutes in all,plus a bit more when I switched on this morning. No problems as far as I can see.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 19 November 15 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Here we go again! :o
Whilst checking updates, another found, update to previously downloaded file.
(Took all of 5 minutes) :)
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 19 November 15 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Not only is the updates something of a mess they use it to spy on us too!!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 19 November 15 21:07 GMT (UK) »
One of the many websites pointing out what Windows 10 reports back!
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/11/windows-10-privacy-settings-what-you-need-to-know/
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 19 November 15 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Brian