Author Topic: Windows 10 upgrade!  (Read 8568 times)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 upgrade!
« Reply #27 on: Friday 20 November 15 10:12 GMT (UK) »
My PC upgraded a few days ago, apparently successfully. It did change some of my privacy settings but I soon changed them back (not that I'm complacent - I'm sure we'll never know just how much they can find out about us).

For anyone in doubt the upgrade does a full re-installation, just like the original upgrade from Windows 7/8, but leaves all your program and data files intact as far as I can tell.

I have disabled just about all the special features of Windows 10 and use a third party browser, email client, etc. In this state it is hard to tell it isn't Windows 7  8)

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 20 November 15 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Interesting, might help friends of mine who haven't upgraded. I seem to be OK with it now, but still from time to time use 7 on my Netbook.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 20 November 15 20:02 GMT (UK) »
You can still use Internet Explorer 11 instead of Edge if you want.

You have to run it manually though by using File Explorer to navigate to:

C:\Windows\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Microsoft have often stated they do not want to collect person data but they are being forced to by various government agencies around the world.  I doubt if changing your browser or using various privacy settings is going to make a great deal of difference because governments demand that ISPs provide them with customer browsing data - justifying it by saying they are trying to catch criminals and terrorists etc.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 13:48 GMT (UK) »
I bit the bullet (took the upgrade) at 3.40 this afternoon. I shuddered at the 20 minute interval on screen, but in the event the upgrade took less than 5 minutes, no problems so far and no noticeable changes. No doubt I have those privileges to come!

Redroger,

You were quite right Simon; I saw it was coming at around 6.45 last night and as I knew dinner was imminent and wanted to watch at least some of the football I decided to take it there and then. The 20 minutes suggested was total nonsense, it took around 65, twenty of those being over the last 1%!! Then the fun started. I have a virtual machine (VMWare) on this computer and the previous evening i had a little difficulty getting it to run the internet. I fixed that; but after the upgrade in retaliation the net didn't work in my real machine. I eventually fixed that and then had a go at the virtual machine, which I eventually fixed. Main problem is I am not sure how or why in either case. I eventually logged off at around 11.30p.m. This morning all OK (so far) except that Chrome was no longer my default browser.Anyway, all done and my earlier postings were obviously a false alarm.

The Windows 10 upgrade takes well over an hour (more like 1 1/2 to 2) including a 20 minute download period. It's like a new installation. I think your five minute update was just an ordinary update.

Simon
Simon, It does seem to have been the upgrade, though I have not yet checked the build number to confirm it, too busy using the machine. Your comments about Samsung, I fully agree. Amongst other things Kies no longer works, can just about instal on the machine, but try to open it and it immediately stops! As you say their site is a complete mess. I think that part of the problem with my phone is that it is a Galaxy3 GT19300 3 years old, and the version of Android has been upgraded twice. Difficult if you want to free up phone space for photos; however as a work around I paid 88p for "Wi Fi file transfer Pro" which is useable and can transfer photos onto the computer; a decent workaround at least.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 09:43 GMT (UK) »
I had W7 and took the free upgrade to W10.
Transition was lengthy but no problem. :)
Just one problem that I am not technically able to fight off (and it is hard) microsoft's insistence that I do not use Windows Live Mail but instead use Microsoft's Windows 10 system which is not my preference >:(..... so I am being bombarded by microsoft  >:( >:(to switch and I resent their strong arm  >:( >:(tactics but too technically weak to know how to fix it :'(
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Just one problem that I am not technically able to fight off (and it is hard) microsoft's insistence that I do not use Windows Live Mail but instead use Microsoft's Windows 10 system which is not my preference >:(..... so I am being bombarded by microsoft  >:( >:(to switch and I resent their strong arm  >:( >:(tactics but too technically weak to know how to fix it :'(
Joe

Don't use them myself... I get Mail via Thunderbird
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Joe

Don't use them myself... I get Mail via Thunderbird

Me too, haven't used any Windows for e-mails for years now.  Thunderbird is very good.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Windows 10 works best with ALL the new features turned off, and using third party browser, email, etc  ;)

The biggest problem is that they released it before it was finished . . . that, and trying to make it touchscreen friendly for the kids at the expense of the more serious users ::)
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Isn't that usually the case though? Incidentally my W7 netbook is taking its time (30minutes +) to shut down. Why?