Author Topic: Mains of Lesmoir - Cran family.  (Read 4798 times)

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mains of Lesmoir - Cran family.
« on: Friday 13 November 15 16:54 GMT (UK) »
I know my ancestors, the Cran family, were tennant farmers in "Mains of Lesmoir", near Rhynie for many decades during the 18th/19th centuries.

Does anyone have any information about Mains of Lesmoir? I am unsure if this is just one farm or a whole area. I have seen a photograph online of the present house but don't know how old it is or if it might even have been rebuilt. On the 1861 census some of the family are listed at "Mill of Lesmoir" and others at No 1 Mains of Lesmoir. Could these be seperate places or all clustered on the same site?

I believe my x5 grandfather, John Cran, born about 1711, and a couple of his brothers lived here and would love to find out more.

Many thanks, Erica.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mains of Lesmoir - Cran family.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 November 15 17:31 GMT (UK) »
It is very old, there was the Castle of Lesmore/Lesmoir which I believe was part of Wm or James Gordon's holdings.  Around the time you mentioned your family first being there it was as was the Duke of Gorgon, but then he held all of he Parish with the exception of Rothmaise which was held by John Grant.  A description of the Lesmore/Lesmoir list a manor house and Upper Lesmore Mill which we can assume is now Milltown of Lesmoir.  http://maps.nls.uk/view/74480615

There is a ton of information online about its history.  I would also suggest you try here http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/welcome.aspx select Search and inter CRAN perhaps there are documents connecting the family to Lesmore/Lesmoir.

You can also look at the Valuations for the property which show owners/tenants which you can obtain from http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ for a couple of credits. 

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 November 15 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I will follow these leads.

I am still not sure if "Mains of Lesmoir" is just the one farm or the name of a small village? From the map it looks like several dwellings.

Sorry if this is obvious but I don't live in Scotland and am unable to visit the area myself.

Erica.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 November 15 17:13 GMT (UK) »
It is a large farm, the Mains is typically the main dwelling but typically these are occupied by the principal family plus household servants.  There would be places for the ag. workers to live, if they had a dairy herd they would have had a dairyman so he would have had his own dwelling which was where the dairy cattle were.  If they had pigs they would have a had a place for them as well as sheep, horses etc.  Those that commercially produced butter/cheese would have had a smaller building adjacent to the dairyman's where these were produced and stored so as you see some of these farms became fairly large in structures and number of people employed. 

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 November 15 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Don,

That does make sense, considering the number of people who lived there.

Erica

Offline JillianW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 November 15 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Erica,

I have been researching this family and wondered if you would be interested in sharing our research. I have been trying to connect the William born Oct 1747 to the Cran's in Yorkshire.
William is the son of John Cran b 1710 and Isabel Harper.

regards

Jillian

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 November 15 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jillian,

William Cran, born 1747 was my 4x great grandfather who moved to Leeds sometime at the end of the 18th century. I am directly descended from William through his son James 1874, his son Edwin 1821, his son William 1865, his son Albert 1895 (my Grandad) and his son Peter 1925 (my Dad).
I think William's father John Cran was part of the family that lived at Mains of Lesmoir.

I have just started researching the Crans in Aberdeenshire but it's not easy - there are hundreds of them! Are you a member of this family?

I would be happy to share information. Are you on Ancestry? If so I can let you see my tree. If not perhaps you can give me your email and let me know what information you need.

Best wishes, Erica.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 November 15 17:42 GMT (UK) »
I am still not sure if "Mains of Lesmoir" is just the one farm or the name of a small village? From the map it looks like several dwellings.

It was just one farm, but most farms had more than one house because they had cottages where the married farm workers lived with their families. 'Mains of xxx' indicates the most important farm on xxx Estate, something like 'Home Farm' in England. Sometimes the Mains would be worked by a manager or overseer employed by the landowner rather than let to a tenant farmer.

See http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ4728
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline JillianW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 November 15 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Erica,

Yes I am on Ancestry.  Find me on there and I will send you an email address.

regards

Jillian Williams