Author Topic: Mains of Lesmoir - Cran family.  (Read 4781 times)

Offline JillianW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mains of Lesmoir - Cran family.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 18:32 GMT (UK) »
If you search the members area of Ancestry under JillianWilliams56 you will find me.  I haver William Cran b 1747  to John Cran and Isabel Harper.  William born in Belhinnny Scotland. William married Nanny Rothea and had 9 boys. John, James, Robert, William, Joseph, Peter, George, Thomas and Benjamin.

Jillian

Offline Cynthia Cran Richards

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My name is Cynthia Cran Richards. I was born to Herbert John Cran Jr. whose dad was Herbert John Cran birthday in Rhynie. His mother had a cottage in The mains Rhynie, Aberdeenshire.  My grandfather, Herbert John Cran sr. Had a brother James my dad called him Uncle Jim.
So there was Mabel. Herbert John, Mabel. Charlie, George, and Jim.
Herbert Cran sr came to New York. I think family members also went to New Zealand. Let me know what you know. I do have some photos.

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cynthia,

It seems we share a x5 grandfather - John Cran.

I am descended from John and his first wife Isobel Harper, through their son William who moved to Leeds, Yorkshire. The family never returned to Scotland.

I think you are descended from John and his third wife Janet Reid through their son James and his wife Mary Milne - they lived in Mains of Lesmoir.

I have been researching the Scottish Cran family for a couple of years and have visited the area where they lived.  I do have quite a bit of information including a great photo of Herbert Sn. as a boy with his family outside Mains of Lesmoir Cottage.

I would love to see your pictures and share information.

You can contact me through Ancestry: boothroyd_heather, or let me know the best way to contact you.Best way to contact each other is by personal messaging.(flst, moderator)

Best Wishes,  Heather (nee Crann) - my branch added an extra "n" !

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cynthia,
Welcome to rootschat! Please read the link below. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline JillianW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cynthia,
 Welcome,  I have also been researching this family for a while.  My research started with the Crann surname in Dorset which lead me to the Cran surname in Scotland and Yorkshire.  Herbert John Sr. did have a brother come to New Zealand.  James he married Hannah Mary Lambert in 1920.  I also have a Mary who married a Rev D Cook in 1914 in Rhynie.  Look forward to swapping information.

Jillian

Offline Brenda Russell Campbell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 July 18 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, My Auntie Beth (b Elizabeth Stout, Lerwick, Shetland in 1914) was married to Charles Cran, a farmer at Nether Wheedlemont, Rhynie. They had no children so I was tasked with sorting out her many possessions when she died in 2009. Among them is a slim booklet called Notable Men and Women of Strathbogie, The Cran Family, A record of singular talent. It was reprinted from the Huntly Express of June 12th 1908.
It mentions dozens of Crans all around Rhynie, including John (born 1790; died at Muir of Rhynie in 1849) who married (his cousin) Christian Cran of Mains of Lesmoir, and had two sons and two daughters....
It continues at great length and I will be very happy to post this wee booklet to whoever asks me first!! Please email me , including your full postal address and I will send it to you.(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline mayainscotland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 November 20 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brenda, If you are still in possession of the book I would love to see it! I am a descendent of the crans living in glasgow

cheers