Author Topic: COUSINS family in Langford, Beds. in 1871 Census  (Read 3155 times)

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
Re: COUSINS family in Langford, Beds. in 1871 Census
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 July 05 19:05 BST (UK) »
George COUSINS is listed as a 'beer retailer' in Langford in Kelly's Directory of 1890 [it says no more than that]...No other COUSINS listed in Langford that year.

There are other trade directories here [but it takes patience and perserverance to search through them!]: http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/index.asp

Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 July 05 11:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for that, Cathy,
This is all the time putting more flesh on the bones of the Cousins Family.  I used to find the Historical Directories site really simple to use, but since they re-organised it I've struggled with it somewhat.  However, I really ought to persevere, as it's a wonderful free resource...
Keith

Offline Peter Mabee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,

William Cousins was my great,great grandfather, through his daughter Emma who's daughter Ida married a Canadian soldier in 1919 and moved to Canada. I have been researching or UK roots and have also been wondering about the 1881 census where he is listed as both a publican and bootmaker. Have you been able to determine if indeed he operated the Red Crow Inn? I understand that the pub no longer exists but are you aware if the building still does?

My brother and I are planning a trip this summer first to Iceland then to the Henlow, Langford area. We want to visit The Engineers Arms in Henlow which George, Williams son was a licensee from 1911 until 1931 followed by his wife then son Stanley. Also the Railway Steamer in Clifton which was operated by our West relations and would be very interested to see the site where the Red Crow was.

Thank you
Peter Mabee

Offline Taylrstotfold

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 April 20 10:51 BST (UK) »
There was a ‘Red Cow’ pub in Langford, the building still exists but has been a residential house for about 18 years now I think.

My great grandmother Jess Cousins born in the Engineers Arms (Henlow) in the early 1900’s. She had a sister called Florie and twin brothers Frank & Alec. I don’t know anything further along the generation unfortunately but would am trying to find out more.

Regards
Joe

Offline Peter Mabee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 April 20 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe,
Your great grandmother Jessie’s (1904 – 1993) father, George Cousins (1876 – 1903) was my great grandmother Emma Cousins brother. It is interesting that Emma’s husband Walter G. West operated the Gardeners Arms which was just down the street from the Engineers Arms.
I was happy to hear that the Red Crow building still exists. Is it the residential building next to the Chapel and behind the Post office in Langford?
You did answer another puzzle for me. I knew Frank had a twin brother but in the 1911 Census he is named “Click”. Now am sure that this was a transcription error and should have read Alec.
I have not run across a sister “Florie” yet. Do you have any other information on her? The family I have for George Cousins and Elizabeth Legate are Frederick G.W. Cousins (1898 - ?), Stanley Augustus Cousins (1899-1959), Annie Blanche Cousins (1902-1914), Jessie Cousins (1904-1993), Frank Cousins (1907-1993), Alec Cousins (1907 – 1982).
I do have information on the Cousins going back to your great, great, great, great grandfather and Grandmother William Cousins (1815-1871) and Martha Beaumont (1819-1898). If you need any information, I would be happy to share what I have.
Peter Mabee