Author Topic: Jennison from Belper - All Saints Turnditch Lookup 1804  (Read 1253 times)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jennison from Belper - All Saints Turnditch Lookup 1804
« on: Monday 16 November 15 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I am descended from a convict Samuel Jennison (about 1802-1860) who was born in Belper or thereabouts and died in Australia.

I was interested in the IGI christening of a Samuel Jennison on 2 July 1804 at All Saints Turnditch Derby to Samuel & Ann and wondered whether anyone who had access to the register could say if there was any additional information for that entry?

Many thanks if anyone can help.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jennison from Belper - All Saints Turnditch Lookup 1804
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 November 15 09:49 GMT (UK) »
The ages seem to change. His convict record states he is born 1802 but a newspaper article suggests he was born 1800. Derby Mercury 24.10.1832. Stole 2 pairs silk stockings at Duffield

Maybe he stole them for his wife . A Samuel J married a Frances Forrester in Duffield 1823 and same ( maybe) married a Jemima Turton in Duffield in 1825 ( wouldn't have thought Samuel Jennison combination would be that popular)

Unless this is another ???

Are you aware a Samuel Jennison is in the 1851 census stating born in Belper?

Making it more difficult is that Belper and Duffield are only 3 miles apart

I don't see the 1804 birth/baptism/ found it. Turnditch is 4 miles away from Duffield and maybe 8-9 from Belper

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 November 15 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you David, yes I have that article. I also have a convict record which states re him "Character connexions and former course of life bad, awful disposition, a receiver of stolen goods" which puts paid to the romantic story handed down along my line that he got himself deliberately convicted to get free passage out to Australia in order to elope with a young lady he was tutoring, or something like that!

Yes he definitely married Jemima Turton as far as I can tell. I am descended from his daughter by her, born in Australia, Jemima Ann Jennison.

There seem to be a few Samuel Jennison's about and I'm still getting my head around them!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Samuel JENISON Married Anne STEEPLES, 18 July 1803, St Alkmund, Duffield
(Source FreeREG)

FreeREG only has 2 Children to them;
WILLIAM Jennison Baptised 13 March 1809
JOHN Jennison Baptised 31 Aug 1815
Abode Belper

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the delayed reply but it took me a while to get my thoughts together on this. And thanks for those details, much appreciated.

I would be tempted to think the convict Samuel Jennison might well be the son of Samuel Jennison & Anne Steeples who married in 1803. Perhaps he lied about his age re his convict records which give him a birth year of 1802. Perhaps he wasn't sure and neither were they. Perhaps he was born a bit earlier and only christened in 1804 if that record turns out to be him.

I was a it put off however by the baptism of another Samuel Jennison to a Samuel & Ann in Belper in 1826, with the following children in between:

the two Trish mentioned in 1809 and 1815
Anne 10 June 1818 Belper
Christopher John 10 January 1819 Belper
Edwin 18 Aug 1823 St Peters, Derby

There is another marriage of a Samuel Jennison and Ann Bond at St Peter Nottingham in 1818, with no births in Nottinghamshire that I could see quickly, so perhaps these people had the second Samuel Jennison?

Samuel & Ann Steeples seem to appear in the 1841 census as follows at Derby St Peters:

Samuel Jennison, 64, nail m, born in county
Ann Jennison, 61, dress m, born in county
Ann Jennison, 23, dress m, born in county
William Gadsby, 15, nail makers apprentice, born in county
George Ingleby, 24, nail makers apprentice, not born in county

So there's no Samuel Jennison with them. The occupation of nailmaker also seems not too far from the father's occupation of blacksmith recorded on convict Samuel Jennison's death certificate in 1860 (which records parents as Samuel Jennison and unknown).

I'm not sure though.

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 November 15 02:22 GMT (UK) »
I have another lookup request, this time maybe from FamilySearch.

FamilySearch says it has parish register images for two records, but for some reason I can't get access to them, maybe because my internet is too slow:

Marriage of Edwin Jennison to Elizabeth Ogle 22 Jan 1844 All Saints Church, Derby, giving birth year of 1823 and father as Samuel Jennison.

Christening of Edwin Jennison 18 Aug 1823 St Peter's Church, Derby to Samuel and Anne Jennison.

I am trying to work out whether this is a son of Samuel Jennison & Anne Steeples, which might add weight to a theory that they moved to Derby before 1823 possibly meaning the Samuel Jennison christened in 1826 wasn't theirs.

Many thanks if anyone can help.

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 November 15 03:40 GMT (UK) »
I manged to get FamilySearch to display the original register images for the entries I mentioned.

The marriage record has this info: Edwin Jennison (signed) 21 Bachelor, Nail Maker, Willow Row, Father Samuel Jennison, Nail Maker; Elizabeth Ogle (x) 20 Spinster, Willow Row, Father Joseph Ogle, Brick Maker; Witnesses were William Goodwin & Sam Walton.

There is also a marriage record as follows at All Saints Derby on 11 Dec 1843: Edward Earles 22 bachelor, smith, Willow Row, father Richard Earles, smith; Maria Jenison 19 spinster, Willow Row, father Samuel Jenison, nailer. Both made mark. Witnesses Edwin Jennison & Ann Jennison.

I can't find either Edwin or Maria in the 1841 census but I can find them in later censuses.