Author Topic: help tracking with no info other than names!  (Read 3063 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help tracking with no info other than names!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 November 15 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Sorry you are quite right - the death was in Bolton not Burnley!
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 November 15 12:00 GMT (UK) »
A free search of the 1939 register could help you find out a bit more about Thomas and Ethel

There's only one Thomas Shackleton living with an Ethel Shackleton in Lancashire. The Borough/District is Radcliffe M.B. and the household members are Ethel Shackleton born 1912 and Thomas Shackleton born 1903, and 2 more people who are officially closed (i.e. born after 1915). I'm guessing these are their daughters Ethel and Ann.

I don't know the area well so not sure if this is the right part of Lancashire... but sounds like the birth in 1912 and the death in 1989 could be the right ones.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 November 15 12:52 GMT (UK) »
If Milton and Alice are the correct parents of your Ethel, then she has three older sisters - Gladys, Nora and Jessie, all born in Hebden Bridge in Yorkshire.

As I think you already know Milton and Alice married in 1902.

Milton is a 23 year old cotton weaver on the 1901 census (born Sowerby) , with his widowed mother Sarah J plus siblings.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 November 15 13:02 GMT (UK) »
If Milton and Alice are the correct parents of your Ethel, then she has three older sisters - Gladys, Nora and Jessie, all born in Hebden Bridge in Yorkshire.

As I think you already know Milton and Alice married in 1902.

Milton is a 23 year old cotton weaver on the 1901 census (born Sowerby) , with his widowed mother Sarah J plus siblings.

Hebden Bridge is very close to Todmorden.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline CuriousKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 November 15 14:00 GMT (UK) »
A free search of the 1939 register could help you find out a bit more about Thomas and Ethel

There's only one Thomas Shackleton living with an Ethel Shackleton in Lancashire. The Borough/District is Radcliffe M.B. and the household members are Ethel Shackleton born 1912 and Thomas Shackleton born 1903, and 2 more people who are officially closed (i.e. born after 1915). I'm guessing these are their daughters Ethel and Ann.

I don't know the area well so not sure if this is the right part of Lancashire... but sounds like the birth in 1912 and the death in 1989 could be the right ones.
Thank you, this is great  :)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 November 15 17:44 GMT (UK) »
A word of caution: even though the surnames are unusual it is best to confirm everything with original sources.  "If" and "probable" can lead to errors.

Don't go wild spending on every BMD certificate under the sun, but I do recommend that you purchase copy certificates for BMDs after 1900.  Once you get back to people born before 1900 you will often find that censuses and parish registers are viewable online - either from paysites or a free site such as familysearch or Online Parish Clerks.

As Ruskie advises, Thomas and Ethel's marriage certificate from 1931 will give you parents' names and occupations.

Good hunting.
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CuriousKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello all, i managed to find a family member with a limited amount of information it took a while he's i Canada! Anyway he confirmed that Ethel was infact the child of Milton Saltonstall & Alice Diggle, however...... she was adopted by an uncle & aunt who were unable to conceive. His name was Thomas Howarth & when he died ( no year given) the nephews & nieces of his late wife were the beneficiaries.
Milton, Clara, Elisha & Emma.
Nothing on Thomas Shackleton other than he was born in 1903 & that the family had a furniture shop in Heywood!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 16:01 GMT (UK) »
His name was Thomas Howarth & when he died ( no year given) the nephews & nieces of his late wife were the beneficiaries.
Milton, Clara, Elisha & Emma.

I wonder whether the name was in fact Thomas Highley rather than Thomas Howarth?

Milton Saltonstall did, it appears, have a childless aunt on his maternal side.  His mother seems to have been Sarah Jane Law (married in 1874 as "Jane" Law to Thomas Saltonstall), born in Sowerby in 1850 to single mother Elizabeth Law who subsequently married a Samuel Lumb and had further children with him.

One of those children, and therefore a half-sister to Sarah Jane Law, was Elizabeth Ann Lumb, married (aged 38) in Halifax on 30 Dec 1899 to Thomas Highley.  Records suggest there were no children born to the marriage.  Elizabeth died in Cragg Vale in 1919. 

Thomas Highley died in 1939 leaving a will.  His executor was Emma Greenwood, married woman, possibly nee Saltonstall (Emma Saltonstall married Herbert Greenwood in Todmorden district, Dec qtr 1912).

Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Good sleuthing, avm.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON