Author Topic: Romany DNA - what would you expect to see?  (Read 101823 times)

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Romany DNA - what would you expect to see?
« Reply #117 on: Saturday 12 January 19 15:57 GMT (UK) »
I have haplopap group R0 which originated in India I believe? The haplopap group is interesting not just the DNA countries. Although I do have a match with a Bulgarian Roma gypsy lady who lives in the US now. We believe its where my English Romany family originally came from.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Saturday 12 January 19 19:49 GMT (UK) »
As my mother's maiden name was Ayres I fully expected my MtDNA test to show gypsy  origins.
It did in fact show British 15%, Western Europe 84%, the odd 1% being East Africa, South India or "noise".
So I am a bit puzzled.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline rosieM

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Sunday 10 February 19 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I don't know if this is the correct forum for me but an unexplained 5% South Asian ethnicity in my Ancestry results has brought me here.
The main candidate in my paper trail is my unconfirmed GGG Grandfather John Thompson, a labourer, born in Bath, Somerset, UK in 1777. His son Joseph Thompson (confirmed GG Grandfather) was also born in Bath in 1815. "A Negro"  is noted on Joseph's baptismal records at St James, presumable relating to his father John.

My ethnicity results show the following:
Ancestry                              South Asia      5%

Harrappa World                     Baloch         12.06
                                           SW-Asian         .29

Dodecad V3                          West Asian      8.33
                                           South Asian     2.43
                                           SW-Asian          .07

Eurogenes K13                      West Asian      7.57
                                            South Asian    2.01
                                            East_Med        1.30

Should I pursue the possibility that John Thompson, or perhaps some other ancestor, may have had some Roma blood, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks
Rod ???

Hiya Bucky....Just reading about these dna tests...my brother had one and got the results last week.  But instead of helping my research that's taken near 13 years its hindered it. We were 67.7 west/north European..3. odd eastern European..3. odd Irish/ Scottish/Welsh  some Iberian/Finnish/ etc (Can't recall precise amounts off top of my head) But not 1 iota of Engish.Which is all fine. We were brought up knowing we were true Romani.
  But now because many of the Family names on my dedicated Tree are not showing on my brothers 3,600 matches he's basically told me I have a tree of fictitious Characters  ::)   I've a proper research paper trail and to keep being told that because some names like Hattrick/Parnham/Kilvington etc do not show I've got this tree all wrong. And his little bits of dna give him ALL his bio family. Needless to say its been upsetting, frustrating and darn right ridiculous. I was so excited when he first told me he had gotten his results...now I wish he'd never gone down that root. Anyone got any advice? It would be really appreciated  :'( RosieM
Price Lincoln
Kilvington Yorks
Parnham - Notts/Yorks/Grimsby/Louth/Derbyshire
Hardwick - Hull Yorks/Poole Dorset
Hattrick Ireland/Doncaster
Ray/Reay/Wray/ -Hull Yorks
Dann - Dannet/Louth Lincs
Keal - Louth Lincs
Lindley -
Cunningham -Hull/Louth/Yorks
Hollis - Notts/Yorks
Wilson - Yorks/Notts/Boston
Russell - Market deeping lincs
Morris - Bedfordshire
Mobbs- Lincoln
Smiths - Yorks/Lincoln
Gray - Yorks /Derbyshire
Bramwell - Chesterfield/Derby/Louth
Taylor Lincs/Derbyshire
Bostock - Derbyshire

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Sunday 10 February 19 19:46 GMT (UK) »

Hiya Bucky....Just reading about these dna tests...my brother had one and got the results last week.  But instead of helping my research that's taken near 13 years its hindered it. We were 67.7 west/north European..3. odd eastern European..3. odd Irish/ Scottish/Welsh  some Iberian/Finnish/ etc (Can't recall precise amounts off top of my head) But not 1 iota of Engish.Which is all fine. We were brought up knowing we were true Romani.
  But now because many of the Family names on my dedicated Tree are not showing on my brothers 3,600 matches he's basically told me I have a tree of fictitious Characters  ::)   I've a proper research paper trail and to keep being told that because some names like Hattrick/Parnham/Kilvington etc do not show I've got this tree all wrong. And his little bits of dna give him ALL his bio family. Needless to say its been upsetting, frustrating and darn right ridiculous. I was so excited when he first told me he had gotten his results...now I wish he'd never gone down that root. Anyone got any advice? It would be really appreciated  :'( RosieM

Where official paper trails do no match DNA there has normally been an adoption. If you find related families a tree comparison might be the only way to notice anomallies. Who is to say Roma families didn't sometimes have youngsters that travelled with other familes and used their surname instead? I know a married couple whose DNA test shows a shared ancestor but the paper trail does not show this. I just proves that someone was adopted ot the father wasn't the womans official husband.

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline rosieM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Sunday 10 February 19 23:06 GMT (UK) »

Where official paper trails do no match DNA there has normally been an adoption. If you find related families a tree comparison might be the only way to notice anomallies. Who is to say Roma families didn't sometimes have youngsters that travelled with other familes and used their surname instead? I know a married couple whose DNA test shows a shared ancestor but the paper trail does not show this. I just proves that someone was adopted ot the father wasn't the womans official husband.

Of Course. My brother hasn't actually found anyone directly.. Just some familiar names along with many more. But like I've tried to explain, every family in our tree would need to have taken a test, and on the same site he's done his dna test for EVERY single family name to show up.  They only match data thats available to them. I'd challenge anyone to complete a family tree with just a dna match.. Its taken me years with having a triple checked paper trail. It's impossible to connect 2% here and 4% there without hard facts/dates/place/ and starting point.. Crazy. My brother hasn't even started a tree.. To be honest he wouldn't have the faintest. Thank you for the reply. It's appreciated 🤗
Price Lincoln
Kilvington Yorks
Parnham - Notts/Yorks/Grimsby/Louth/Derbyshire
Hardwick - Hull Yorks/Poole Dorset
Hattrick Ireland/Doncaster
Ray/Reay/Wray/ -Hull Yorks
Dann - Dannet/Louth Lincs
Keal - Louth Lincs
Lindley -
Cunningham -Hull/Louth/Yorks
Hollis - Notts/Yorks
Wilson - Yorks/Notts/Boston
Russell - Market deeping lincs
Morris - Bedfordshire
Mobbs- Lincoln
Smiths - Yorks/Lincoln
Gray - Yorks /Derbyshire
Bramwell - Chesterfield/Derby/Louth
Taylor Lincs/Derbyshire
Bostock - Derbyshire

Offline janicejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Friday 15 March 19 02:44 GMT (UK) »
I haven't been here in a while, thought I'd update you.  A few years ago, I found out thru DNA, DNA matches, and talking to some new found 2nd-3rd cousins, that my 2g grandmother Caroline Riley was from the Romany community.  She was born 1820 in Alrewas, Staffordshire.  Her parents were William Riley and Elizabeth "Meriden"(she was marked at Widowed on her marriage record).  Caroline had an older brother Henry b.1816 Alrewas.  Since the big DNA sales over the Holidays, I've gotten a lot more DNA matches and that helped me find more info: There were records that William Riley was married before, and had children. Now I have a DNA match from one of those kids!  And, I got a good DNA match to a Canadian woman whose grandmother was born in Birmingham. Turns out there were "rumors" that her grandmother was a Romany (in a travelling show), and she does have South Asian DNA.  I haven't figured out that connection let.  But my latest DNA discovery is 7 matches to the Fisher family of Birmingham and later Lichfield, Staff.  I think this Phillip Fisher may be the younger brother or the son of Elizabeth Meriden.  One of the Fisher siblings also married to the Poulitani family, who were circus performers.  All told, I got 9 DNA matches for my Romany side, from the Christmas sale.

Offline KimberlyAnnLambert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I believe my ancestors Alexander Campbell (abt 1795-1839) and Esther Whitney (abt 1797-1847) to be gypsies due to their professions (hawker, match maker) and that they lived in tents. All of their children were born in Hampshire, England.

1. I am understandably having difficulties determining their parents and ancestry (parents not mentioned in marriage documentation).

2. I am very interested in determining if they were in fact gypsies.

I would greatly appreciate any insight as this has been a brick wall for our family for a few decades.

Offline DeeZeeBee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Thursday 04 March 21 22:59 GMT (UK) »
I'm new to this thread and just started researching the branch of my tree which myself and my siblings were led to believe we had Romany ancestors in. The names I'm looking at initially are: FINCH (Suffolk then Southwark) PETERS & MINNS in Southwark. Occupations include, Agricultural labourer, Horse Dealer, Costermonger, Hawker of vegetables, general dealer, greengrocer. Lots of wonderful stories & an apple & nut farm mentioned with two donkeys called 'Billy Bubbles' & 'Kate Carney'. We have a lot of Scottish DNA but yet to find a Scottish ancestor and most branches are traced back to the 1700's. There are other names which I believe to be travellers too: DURRANT, MADDOX, NORTH, WELLIN, BACHELOR, PHIPPS, WINN, LAMBERT & WHITE.

I see that there were Finch (Finca) 'gypsies passing through' in 1542 and wondered if they harked from Scotland?! I also wondered if it is know where Margaret Finch came from originally and if that was her maiden name or a married name?!

Myself and two siblings had the DNA test and my sister is 37% Scottish compared to me 12% and my bro just 8% and she is the one who has the more olive skin, brown eyes and dark hair whereas I've very pale blue eyes and fair. She's never forgotten an elderly (very Cornish) Aunt asking my Mum "where did you get that dark one too?!"

DNA - we have all got differing results: England & Northwestern Europe, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Germanic Europe, Norway & Sweden through ancestry.com

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Sunday 07 March 21 12:22 GMT (UK) »
As my mother's maiden name was Ayres I fully expected my MtDNA test to show gypsy  origins.
It did in fact show British 15%, Western Europe 84%, the odd 1% being East Africa, South India or "noise".
So I am a bit puzzled.
Had an update from FTDNA this very day. I am now all European, and have climbed to 39% British, 41% Western Europe, 15% Scandinavian, and 5% Irish which MIGHT fit in with a traveller connection.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)