Author Topic: Romany DNA - what would you expect to see?  (Read 102484 times)

Offline rosieM

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Romany DNA - what would you expect to see?
« Reply #126 on: Sunday 07 March 21 13:50 GMT (UK) »

Hiya Bucky....Just reading about these dna tests...my brother had one and got the results last week.  But instead of helping my research that's taken near 13 years its hindered it. We were 67.7 west/north European..3. odd eastern European..3. odd Irish/ Scottish/Welsh  some Iberian/Finnish/ etc (Can't recall precise amounts off top of my head) But not 1 iota of Engish.Which is all fine. We were brought up knowing we were true Romani.
  But now because many of the Family names on my dedicated Tree are not showing on my brothers 3,600 matches he's basically told me I have a tree of fictitious Characters  ::)   I've a proper research paper trail and to keep being told that because some names like Hattrick/Parnham/Kilvington etc do not show I've got this tree all wrong. And his little bits of dna give him ALL his bio family. Needless to say its been upsetting, frustrating and darn right ridiculous. I was so excited when he first told me he had gotten his results...now I wish he'd never gone down that root. Anyone got any advice? It would be really appreciated  :'( RosieM

Where official paper trails do no match DNA there has normally been an adoption. If you find related families a tree comparison might be the only way to notice anomallies. Who is to say Roma families didn't sometimes have youngsters that travelled with other familes and used their surname instead? I know a married couple whose DNA test shows a shared ancestor but the paper trail does not show this. I just proves that someone was adopted ot the father wasn't the womans official husband.

Of Course. My brother hasn't actually found anyone directly.. Just some familiar names along with many more. But like I've tried to explain, every family in our tree would need to have taken a test, and on the same site he's done his dna test for EVERY single family name to show up.  They only match data thats available to them. I'd challenge anyone to complete a family tree with just a dna match.. Its taken me years with having a triple checked paper trail. It's impossible to connect 2% here and 4% there without hard facts/dates/place/ and starting point.. Crazy. My brother hasn't even started a tree.. To be honest he wouldn't have the faintest. Thank you for the reply. It's appreciated 🤗

Update I have not got many dna matches that support my paper trail😁 Kilvington was a huge hit.. It proves who my gtgtgt granny's mother was.. And just as my hunt had led me to Elizabeth Kilvington. Dna is great working along side a well researched paper trail. Not fool proof. But a good starting point. Dna misses people ie it missed my grandfather but hit his father and then his father before that.. It did the same with my Nan, 100% my mother's mum... But connected back in time down that line. A tree is a big help. Otherwise your often chasing snowflakes.. You admit they are there but have no idea why where or when. Hard work. But keep at it everyone.. And time with Dna can produce anything out of the blue to help or hinder..
Price Lincoln
Kilvington Yorks
Parnham - Notts/Yorks/Grimsby/Louth/Derbyshire
Hardwick - Hull Yorks/Poole Dorset
Hattrick Ireland/Doncaster
Ray/Reay/Wray/ -Hull Yorks
Dann - Dannet/Louth Lincs
Keal - Louth Lincs
Lindley -
Cunningham -Hull/Louth/Yorks
Hollis - Notts/Yorks
Wilson - Yorks/Notts/Boston
Russell - Market deeping lincs
Morris - Bedfordshire
Mobbs- Lincoln
Smiths - Yorks/Lincoln
Gray - Yorks /Derbyshire
Bramwell - Chesterfield/Derby/Louth
Taylor Lincs/Derbyshire
Bostock - Derbyshire

Offline LockeRoots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone

Been a long time since I last posted. A lot has changed over the last decade, DNA knowledge included.

Just some random thoughts on my part in regards to Romany DNA.

This is just my personal opinion, take it or leave it :)

While the autosomal DNA test is a fine test to take, there are limitations to the autosomal test due to DNA recombination. You maybe an autosomal DNA match to some distantly related family members, but not match other distantly related family members. 

I do think it is critically important for Romany people to also consider doing the Y DNA and mtDNA tests and not stop short by only doing the autosomal DNA test. When DNA participants limit themselves to a single type of genetic genealogy test, you are to some degree limiting your knowledge, and there is so much more to genetic genealogy then just the autosomal test.

My primary interest is Romany Y DNA ( Y Haplogroup ) origins.

I Y DNA tested back in late 2004 with FTDNA.

I am myself Big Y 500 and Big Y 700 DNA tested, and I was placed in a much deeper SNP that is downstream of H-M82, known as Y Haplogroup H-PH124. I knew back in 2004 that saying that I was in Y Haplogroup H* was far to vague of an answer, and I pushed hard to get us H* men deeper SNP testing.

In 2008, I convinced FTDNA to do a limited Deep Clade SNP test just for us H* men, which they agreed to. 14 H men agreed to pay in advance to have this Deep Clade SNP test made available and that is when the biggest changes started to happen.

It was back in 2008, that we learned all the Roma / Romani / Romany / Gypsy men were in Y Haplogroup H-M82, but again I knew even then back in 2008 that saying we were in H-M82 was to vague of an answer and we wanted better SNP testing. Fast forward to today, I was right in thinking
H-M82 was far to vague of an answer!

Thanks to a small handful of men of Romany ancestry, we now know far better and deeper answers thanks to those whom have done the Big Y 500 or Big Y 700 test which is the most in depth SNP testing available today.

The most interesting aspect of this much deeper SNP testing, is the fact that every Rrom Big Y tested to date, are either positive for H-PH124, or are in an SNP directly downstream of H-PH124.
While I am not a genetic expert, it is plain to me that all the Romany Big Y participants shared a common male ancestor, and I believe that because so far of those Big Y tested, 100% are in
H-PH124 or an SNP directly downstream of H-PH124.

We can look at H-PH124 as being the parent of all SNP's directly downstream, HPH124's descendants so to speak. 

The parent branch is H-M82 and thanks to Big Y testing, we now know of one primary SNP that is the parent SNP to all SNP's downstream of H-PH124. The SNP's directly downstream of H-PH124 are: H-BY153075, H-BY224203, H-FT26956, H-PH2261, H-PH2261.

This is pretty compelling evidence to show that since the birth of H-PH124, at least five SNP's were branched off of H-PH124, which indicates to me that regardless their surnames used today, that they all shared a common male ancestor some where back in time, an ancestor whom may have been born some time with in the last 3000 years, or less.

We could not have known those facts with out the use of Y DNA and SNP testing, the autosomal test can not replace the need for Y DNA and SNP testing.

According to multiple Romany DNA studies done since 2001, all those studies came to the same conclusion that suggested that in up words of 30% to as high as 50% of the Romany male population carried Y Haplogroup H-M82 depending on which Romany male population was being studied.

The following surnames have been Big Y tested to date.

Lock / Locke is in H-PH124.
Grigoras is in H-PH124

Downstream SNP's of H-PH124 are:
Bailey is in H-BY153075
Campbell is in H-BY153075

Ingram is in H-BY224203
Renison is in H-BY224203

Salo is in H-FT26956

Markov is in H-PH2261

While this is a small representation of the Romany male population as a whole being Big Y tested, it is an important representation because they are the first Rrom to ever be Big Y tested which is the deepest SNP testing available at this time.

There are around 30 Rrom of around 30 different surnames whom have been Y DNA tested, but not been Big Y tested yet, whom are still being shown as Y Haplogroup H-M82.
The Big Y test is making a huge difference and thanks to those 8 individuals, we have already expanded the Y Haplogroup H tree in a big way!

Lock / Locke unofficial single surname study.

Admin. of the Locke Y DNA project which includes the Lock surname.
Admin. of the Lock / Locke Genealogy & DNA facebook page.

Y DNA participant of Group 2 in the Locke DNA project.
Y Haplogroup H- M82 ( H-BY67262 )

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 17:15 BST (UK) »
That let's me out, since any Romani, up to 50%,is all on my mother's side.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline LockeRoots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 17:47 BST (UK) »
That let's me out, since any Romani, up to 50%,is all on my mother's side.

That would not be accurate Redroger because women can use the mtDNA test to look at your direct maternal lineage. There is a lot more admixture on the Romany female side, but there is a possibility that you may carry a South Asian mt Haplogroup as a result of your Romany ancestry.
Lock / Locke unofficial single surname study.

Admin. of the Locke Y DNA project which includes the Lock surname.
Admin. of the Lock / Locke Genealogy & DNA facebook page.

Y DNA participant of Group 2 in the Locke DNA project.
Y Haplogroup H- M82 ( H-BY67262 )

Offline Imgipsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Sunday 30 May 21 13:17 BST (UK) »
hello I am a gypsy and I researched a lot and I wanted to know where it came from because our culture and customs do not identify with India

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Tuesday 07 September 21 16:33 BST (UK) »
I’m Romany and I tested on each Dna site, I have matches to Bulgarian gypsies who were adopted in America. So it’s obvious to me that many of us have Balkan heritage.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Tuesday 07 September 21 16:47 BST (UK) »
I'm new to this thread and just started researching the branch of my tree which myself and my siblings were led to believe we had Romany ancestors in. The names I'm looking at initially are: FINCH (Suffolk then Southwark) PETERS & MINNS in Southwark. Occupations include, Agricultural labourer, Horse Dealer, Costermonger, Hawker of vegetables, general dealer, greengrocer...

I see that there were Finch (Finca) 'gypsies passing through' in 1542 and wondered if they harked from Scotland?! I also wondered if it is know where Margaret Finch came from originally and if that was her maiden name or a married name?!

Myself and two siblings had the DNA test and my sister is 37% Scottish compared to me 12% and my bro just 8% ...

DNA - we have all got differing results: England & Northwestern Europe, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Germanic Europe, Norway & Sweden through ancestry.com

Hi DeeZeeBee,

Did you get a Gedmatch number please? I come from Norwood, where Margaret Finch lived. I may be related to the Powell family who are mentioned together with the Finches; the Southwark place name comes up again & again.

Finch is one of the old Romany names, no-one is quite sure where it originated; there was a Faa family in Scotland who were Travellers. I myself have 9% Scottish DNA according to Ancestry.

KR
Lee, Fountain, Stevens, Kemp

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Friday 17 September 21 10:22 BST (UK) »
FAA is an old travelling name from Scotland, one of the famous families. If you go on ancestry dna -I’m just assuming you’re with that site , you don’t need to be a full member but just join as a free member when you did then dna… go to the dna page and settings, download your raw dna and save it to laptop , I’m assuming it can be done on a tablet but haven’t tried. Then create a Gedmatch account and upload to there. It’s easier than I make it sound, if I can do it anyone can.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Friday 17 September 21 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi DeeZeeBee,

I'm new to this thread and just started researching the branch of my tree which myself and my siblings were led to believe we had Romany ancestors in. 

I see that there were Finch (Finca) 'gypsies passing through' in 1542 and wondered if they harked from Scotland?! I also wondered if it is know where Margaret Finch came from originally and if that was her maiden name or a married name?!

So yes, please get a Gedmatch number, it is the only way you will find out who you match, and who you don't. Sadly, it cannot be done by names alone, because names change down the years.

A known Romany change, for example, is from Yelden to Hilden. You cannot build a family tree only from names, you need DNA as well.

Lee, Fountain, Stevens, Kemp