Author Topic: Romany DNA - what would you expect to see?  (Read 102350 times)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Romany DNA - what would you expect to see?
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 12 November 17 09:31 GMT (UK) »
I have to dispute this, it certainly was a crime just to be born a Gypsy in England, under the Tudor Egyptian Acts, carrying the death penalty, and this was not repealed until the 1780s. The last execution were reportedly carried out in the 1650s. I will shortly be publishing my own research into the early British Gypsy communities, undertaken over last decade, and these contain abundant examples of Romanies transported to the colonies, the earliest dated to 1669, following an order made the same decade suggesting the Gypsy 'problem' was solved this way, rather than by executions. Romany surnames are also present in the lists of vagrants earlier rounded up in the capital and transported 1618-1620. There is also clear evidence of transportations from Scotland in the early 18th century.

There can be no doubt that those in America carrying H1a1- H-M82 are direct paternal descendants of the the original proto-Gypsy communty that left India circa 1000 AD, as that is well established by various genetic studies, and though some will be from later migrations, a good many will and do descend from individuals transported there from 1660-1774.

In returning to the original post, my Gypsy ancestry is quite far back on maternal line, 19th century, but shows up in my mtDNA haplogroup U3b, which is the dominant maternal haplogroup for Romany people in Western and Northern Europe, and is also present in Eastern Europe in rates significantly greater than surrounding non-Gypsy populations. I also get 1.1% South Asian on the autosomal.

About your gypsy ancestors being sent here for being "criminals", a whole lot of gypsies were rounded up and sent just because they were gypsy.  So many that, on Ancestry DNA (mostly Americans tested so far), I get all these American DNA matches with Asia South DNA, and none of them knew about their gypsy background.  In fact, a few of them thought they had Native American ancestors.

The peak of transportation, to the American colonies, came after the Transportation Act of 1717 and lasted up to the AWOI and the change over to transporting convicts to Australia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transportation_Act_1717

There was nothing in the above England and Wales act that suggested the 'rounding up' of Gypsies and transporting them just for being Gypsies. It was not a specific 'crime' to be 'a Gypsy'.
Some Gypsies were convicted of crimes, as were many others, and transported but most chose to emigrate of their own free will and mostly emigrated after the AWOI.
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 12 November 17 18:31 GMT (UK) »
I have to dispute this, it certainly was a crime just to be born a Gypsy in England, under the Tudor Egyptian Acts, carrying the death penalty, and this was not repealed until the 1780s.

It was not a crime to be 'born a Gypsy', it was a crime to be involved in 'palmistry' & other similar 'frauds' and this applied to non Gypsies too.
The 'Egyptians Act' (1530)
...statute forbade any more Gypsies from entering the realm and gave those already in England sixteen days' notice to depart from the realm.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptians_Act_1530

The above does not equate to a 'death penalty' for being 'born a Gypsy'

I have seen early 'Egyptian' criminal & other records and it is often unclear as to whether
1 They are actual Gypsies or a mixture of Gypsies and other itinerant locals, who are both living 'outside the law'. The Winchester Confessions clearly documents the latter, & early intermarriage
http://website.lineone.net/~rtfhs/pubs5a.html
2 Whether or not the sentences were actually carried out.

Many early Romany probably soon went native and intermarried with the locals, itinerant agricultural labourers for example or metal workers who they could share their skills with. Like any new arrival, they would have been compelled to do this in order to 'fit in' and spare themselves being deported later.

The last execution were reportedly carried out in the 1650s.

'reportedly' ?
Do you have a source for the report?

I will shortly be publishing my own research into the early British Gypsy communities, undertaken over last decade, and these contain abundant examples of Romanies transported to the colonies, the earliest dated to 1669, following an order made the same decade suggesting the Gypsy 'problem' was solved this way, rather than by executions.

Yes some Romany were transported, but they were transported because they had broken the same laws that applied to everyone else in the country. The vast majority of transported convicts were not Gypsies and unfortunately many, both Gyspy and non Gypsy, were just beggars, orphans or petty criminals stealing to buy food and shelter. Although it has to be said that many convicts had also been found guilty of extremely serious crimes

Romany surnames are also present in the lists of vagrants earlier rounded up in the capital and transported 1618-1620. There is also clear evidence of transportations from Scotland in the early 18th century.

How do you know they were Gypsies just by their surnames? Gypsies had already adopted English surnames . Just because someone had the surname Boswell or Cooper it does not necessarily follow that they were Romany. It is not that simple. I have Coopers in my family, but they were lead miners from Derbyshire and not likely to have been Romany. I also have 'Gypsies' intermarrying in my family but their names hardly ever appear on Romany records and are not common or well known 'Romany' names at all.
Also not to forget that probably the most common Romany surname is Smith. How at these dates can you tell if a Smith is Romany or not?

Scotland had/has different systems of law and did not use convict transportation as much as England

There can be no doubt that those in America carrying H1a1- H-M82 are direct paternal descendants of the the original proto-Gypsy communty that left India circa 1000 AD, as that is well established by various genetic studies, and though some will be from later migrations, a good many will and do descend from individuals transported there from 1660-1774.

Some Americans might well be descended from a Romany convict transportation, many millions in the USA are descended from everyday transported convicts as well, but there are also other possibilities. The British Empire spanned half the globe, it employed many Indians and Africans in its Royal, and also merchant, navy. Lascars for example.
Most British Romany migrated to the USA long after convict transportation had ended. You can see they are Romany quite clearly because of the 19th century detail in the records. But earlier records are not detailed

In returning to the original post, my Gypsy ancestry is quite far back on maternal line, 19th century, but shows up in my mtDNA haplogroup U3b, which is the dominant maternal haplogroup for Romany people in Western and Northern Europe, and is also present in Eastern Europe in rates significantly greater than surrounding non-Gypsy populations. I also get 1.1% South Asian on the autosomal.

I am unclear as to why you think this mtDNA haplogroup U3b result means your ancestor was 'Romany'? https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/mt-dnau3/about/background

I also get 1.1% South Asian on the autosomal.

'autosomal' tests cannot tell you your 'ethnicity', especially below 15%.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 13 November 17 08:26 GMT (UK) »
I am certain from my own research it was a specific offence to be an 'Egyptian' until 1780s, which is a Gypsy, so effectively Romanies were criminalised from birth. (The death penalty for this offence was a later ammendment to the act in Mary's reign). I am certain people were executed for it in the United Kingdom, in the century from 1560-1660, and have several different examples with names, in my forthcoming books. Similarly with the transportees I have examples from 1669 onwards of Romany people (including Smiths) transported to America. 100% indisputedly Romany people, with evidence again, from both sides of the pond. I won't go into detail here, but again this will be in my books for those who care to know about this period in history.

"'autosomal' tests cannot tell you your 'ethnicity', especially below 15%."

You are correct there. I never suggested it can. Just adding my contribution that as someone whose maternal line is Romany, documented in the records, this shows in my DNA in the haplogroup U3b, which is the dominant mtDNA halpogroup for Romanies in Western and Northern Europe. This possibly also shows in the autosomal results as the 1.1% South Asain..possibly not. But given that the community is insular, originates in India, and Indian Y Haplogroups are still found in levels from 20-60% across Europe, and maternal Indian haplogroups too in smaller proportion, I'd be surprised if a great deal of Romany people didn't show South Asain in some proportion. I believe the Romany DNA project of Donald Locke and the Leicester University British Romany DNA project both confirm this with average results ranging from 1 to 15% (from memory).

Thanks for your input to my post Sally.
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 13 November 17 08:39 GMT (UK) »
To add to the above, here is one example of Scottish Romani persons being transported to Virginia, which is not an area I have covered in my books, where I concentrate on the English and Welsh community:

FAA, Mary
Gypsy. Prisoner in Jedburgh Tolbooth. Banished at Jedburgh, 30 November 1714. Transported via Glasgow on a Greenock ship, master James Watson, by merchants Robert Buntine of Airdoch, James Lees and Charles Crawford to Virginia, 1 January 1715.

FAA, Peter
Gypsy. Prisoner in Jedburgh Tolbooth. Banished at Jedburgh, 30 November 1714. Transported via Glasgow on a Greenock ship, master James Watson, by merchants Robert Buntine of Airdoch, James Lees and Charles Crawford to Virginia, 1 January 1715.

At least twelve others specifically identified as Gypsies in the book 'Directory of Scots Banished to the American Plantations, 1650-1775', surnames Faa, Baillie, Brown, Fenwick, Lindsay, Hamilton, Ross, Yourston, Hogg, Hutson.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 13 November 17 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Also maybe need to clarify my statement on Y Haplogroup H1a - M82. It is estimated as 1,000- 2000 years old and is found in India today.  H1a - M82 with marker 425 = 0 null is exclusive to the Romani community. No other M82 population so far has been identified as carrying M82 with the 425 = 0 null marker mutation outside the Romani Gypsy population. So a result of H1a - M82 makes Romani ancestry a strong possibility, which can be further confirmed by the presence of the marker 425 = 0 null.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 13 November 17 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Another little addition to your post Sally. The early surname in my works I speculate may have been Gypsies, were actually members of the Powell family who were rounded up in the capital as vagrants and shipped to Virginia 1618-1620. I wouldn't deem much significance from Boswell or Cooper appearing on such lists, as neither of those surnames can be definitely proven to be in use amongst British Romanies until the 1670s. But Powell repeatedly appears in earlier Tudor and Stuart records as a surname used by 'Egyptians' or 'Gypsies', and is particularly linked to the capital. It was still in use amongst Romanies in the 20th century in the same region. I have shied away from identifying them as such in my work, because of course non Romany vagrants may have also carried the surname, and no great detail is given on these early individuals. But it remains a possibility, and it would perhaps be more surprising if no Gypsies at all were among those early vagrants sent to America.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 13 November 17 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Campbell is listed by Walter Simson in his 1865 ‘A History of the Gipsies’ as one of the most ‘prevailing names’ in use amongst Scottish Gypsies. [page 117]

Also mentioned on [page 208]:

Matthew Baillie had by Mary Yorkston, a son, also named Matthew, who married Margaret Campbell, and had by her a family of remarkably handsome and pretty daughters. Of this principle Gypsy family I can trace, distinctly, six generations in descent, and have myself seen the great great grandchildren of the celebrated William Baillie. Mary Yorkston went under the appellation of ‘my lady’ and the ‘duchess’, and bore the tile of queen, among her tribe.

And [page 226]:

One [Gypsy Male] by the name of Campbell, well known by the title of Dr.Duds traversed the South of Scotland, accompanied by a number of women. He prescribed and sold medicines to the inhabitants, and several odd stories are told of the very unusual, but successful cures performed by him.

Since there is evidence of their relations the Yorkstoun/Yourtsons and Baillie's being transported to America from Scotland in the early 18th century, its possible Campbells were too.

Only to about 1870. David Jerome Campbell, born in Rockingham Virginia. Father to my great grandfather Berkley Mathias Campbell. He was also born there.

I've been reading that it was at that exact location where a Scottish Romanichal family with the last name Campbell settled in the mid 1700s.

Piecing together with my DNA is how I became aware of such evidence for my potential descent patrilineally.

Offline Koolmets21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 13 November 17 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the wonderful information. At the 67 marker genetic testing via testing I am genetically related to William Bailey from Scotland.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 13 November 17 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Really? There's lots of great information on the Bailey family in Simsons book too, if you've not read it I would recommend getting hold of or downloading a copy. It is the best book I have read on Scotland's Romani population. He covers England too though in not as great detail.

Thank you for the wonderful information. At the 67 marker genetic testing via testing I am genetically related to William Bailey from Scotland.