Author Topic: Romany DNA - what would you expect to see?  (Read 102282 times)

Offline Koolmets21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Romany DNA - what would you expect to see?
« Reply #45 on: Monday 13 November 17 17:17 GMT (UK) »
I'll definitely look into it. I just checked ftDNA and I'm confirmed H-M82 and i have the 425 = 0 null marker.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 13 November 17 18:37 GMT (UK) »
I am certain from my own research it was a specific offence to be an 'Egyptian' until 1780s, which is a Gypsy, so effectively Romanies were criminalised from birth. (The death penalty for this offence was a later ammendment to the act in Mary's reign). I am certain people were executed for it in the United Kingdom, in the century from 1560-1660, and have several different examples with names, in my forthcoming books.

Could you please provide the evidence, in England/Wales law, that 'Romanies' were 'criminalised from birth' and thus subject to the 'death penalty' just for being born 'Romany'.
Also evidence of 'executions'.

Similarly with the transportees I have examples from 1669 onwards of Romany people (including Smiths) transported to America. 100% indisputedly Romany people, with evidence again, from both sides of the pond. I won't go into detail here, but again this will be in my books for those who care to know about this period in history.

I already 'know about this period in history' and I also know a fair bit about Crime and Punishment', especially convict transportation.
I have no doubt that some, a small minority, of the many convicts who were transported to the colonies were Romany but they were transported because, like the rest, they broke the law.
You say you have 'evidence' that Romany Gypsies were transported or executed specifically just for being a Gypsy, but you do not post any laws or examples, just that 'it will be in my book'.

"'autosomal' tests cannot tell you your 'ethnicity', especially below 15%."

You are correct there. I never suggested it can. Just adding my contribution that as someone whose maternal line is Romany, documented in the records, this shows in my DNA in the haplogroup U3b, which is the dominant mtDNA halpogroup for Romanies in Western and Northern Europe. This possibly also shows in the autosomal results as the 1.1% South Asain..possibly not.

mtDNA spans thousands of years, ultimately ALL Europeans migrated from outside Europe at certain points in the past.

... But given that the community is insular, originates in India, and Indian Y Haplogroups are still found in levels from 20-60% across Europe, and maternal Indian haplogroups too in smaller proportion, I'd be surprised if a great deal of Romany people didn't show South Asain in some proportion. I believe the Romany DNA project of Donald Locke and the Leicester University British Romany DNA project both confirm this with average results ranging from 1 to 15% (from memory).

Thanks for your input to my post Sally.

I know about the Leicester project but that was a Y haplo scientific study and was nothing to do with Donald Locke or any commercial Family History DNA testing. As far as I remember it, Donald Locke's ancestors left Britain for America in the late? 19th century.

Y haplo testing is not the same as mtDNA testing and the mtDNA result you refer to does not originate in 'India'

It is true that some Romany men will have the Y haplo group, but this is only a test for one male direct line, and more importantly, there would have been other routes/reasons, apart from Romany migration, for this group appearing in Europe

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 13 November 17 18:39 GMT (UK) »
To add to the above, here is one example of Scottish Romani persons being transported to Virginia, which is not an area I have covered in my books, where I concentrate on the English and Welsh community:

FAA, Mary
Gypsy. Prisoner in Jedburgh Tolbooth. Banished at Jedburgh, 30 November 1714. Transported via Glasgow on a Greenock ship, master James Watson, by merchants Robert Buntine of Airdoch, James Lees and Charles Crawford to Virginia, 1 January 1715.

FAA, Peter
Gypsy. Prisoner in Jedburgh Tolbooth. Banished at Jedburgh, 30 November 1714. Transported via Glasgow on a Greenock ship, master James Watson, by merchants Robert Buntine of Airdoch, James Lees and Charles Crawford to Virginia, 1 January 1715.

At least twelve others specifically identified as Gypsies in the book 'Directory of Scots Banished to the American Plantations, 1650-1775', surnames Faa, Baillie, Brown, Fenwick, Lindsay, Hamilton, Ross, Yourston, Hogg, Hutson.

These are 'border Gypsies'.
Again, this is no different to the transportation of vagrants, beggars or others who led an itinerant lifestyle 'outside the law'.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 13 November 17 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Also maybe need to clarify my statement on Y Haplogroup H1a - M82. It is estimated as 1,000- 2000 years old and is found in India today.  H1a - M82 with marker 425 = 0 null is exclusive to the Romani community. No other M82 population so far has been identified as carrying M82 with the 425 = 0 null marker mutation outside the Romani Gypsy population. So a result of H1a - M82 makes Romani ancestry a strong possibility, which can be further confirmed by the presence of the marker 425 = 0 null.

No, what it means is that you have a shared ancestor with someone from the Indian sub continent. Unless you can provide the paper trail proof of Romany in your family, it is still conjecture.
There are remains found in Roman and Medieval graves in this country with these markers.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 13 November 17 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Another little addition to your post Sally. The early surname in my works I speculate may have been Gypsies, were actually members of the Powell family who were rounded up in the capital as vagrants and shipped to Virginia 1618-1620.

I have not come across any 'Powell' Romany before. I think it is more of an Irish or Scots surname?.

The Romany are predominately English and Welsh, especially numerous in the south of England

I wouldn't deem much significance from Boswell or Cooper appearing on such lists, as neither of those surnames can be definitely proven to be in use amongst British Romanies until the 1670s. But Powell repeatedly appears in earlier Tudor and Stuart records as a surname used by 'Egyptians' or 'Gypsies', and is particularly linked to the capital.

Boswell and Cooper are significant Romany names. They appear time and again in records and date back to very early records.
Which records does Powell appear in? I have to admit, it's a new one on me

It was still in use amongst Romanies in the 20th century in the same region. I have shied away from identifying them as such in my work, because of course non Romany vagrants may have also carried the surname, and no great detail is given on these early individuals. But it remains a possibility, and it would perhaps be more surprising if no Gypsies at all were among those early vagrants sent to America.

Vagrancy was a big problem, yes some of the transported probably were Romany but as you say the early records do not give any great detail.
I have seen 'Gipsey' mentioned in convict transportation and court records, for example a Gypsy, among others, was sentenced to death for his role in the Gordon Riots (1780), but they were transported or executed because they had committed serious crimes, and with non Gypsies who had also committed the same type of crime. They were not transported or executed just for being 'a Gypsy'.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 13 November 17 19:43 GMT (UK) »

I have not come across any 'Powell' Romany before. I think it is more of an Irish or Scots surname?.

There's many Powells in the Forest of Dean records.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 13 November 17 19:59 GMT (UK) »

There's many Powells in the Forest of Dean records.

Maybe you could post them for richarde1979 ?

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile