Author Topic: SHAW of Worksop  (Read 2546 times)

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
SHAW of Worksop
« on: Tuesday 17 November 15 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi... Anyone with a connection to SHAW in Worksop?!  Family were mostly Tinsmiths, Silversmiths, Whitesmiths, and Ironmongers in Bridge Street, early to mid 1800's.  I would say there would still be family in Worksop.

Regards, Steven.
Melbourne, Australia
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: SHAW of Worksop
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 17:45 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 census has 32 entries for that surname living in Worksop - 12 of whom were born elsewhere. 

Without mentioning the names of any living persons - you need to give a guide as to which particular Shaw family you are descended from
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 02:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi CaroleW.  Yeah I kept it fairly broad in case anyone just knew exactly what I was talking about! 

I already have ALL the census' I can find on the family throughout the years and know that they had businesses on Bridge St.

I'm descended from George SHAW c1798 - 1848 and Hannah PALMER 1800 - .  George is the s/of William 1762 - 1827 and Mary 1770 - 1858 of Worksop.  Hannah PALMER is the d/of Robert PALMER and Dorothy BEST 1771 - .

It seems ALL the families are large, with many children.  A lot buried at Worksop.

Regards, Steven.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 14:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm descended from George SHAW c1798 - 1848 and Hannah PALMER 1800 - .  George is the s/of William & Mary.
William and Mary Shaw baptised 7 children in St Mary (Priory) Worksop, but no George. This is from NFHS, maybe you have found George's baptism elsewhere? The children baptised are
1794 Elizabeth
1795 John
1796 Mary
1799 Reuben
1801 Samuel
1805 Ann
1807 William

Marriage Clarborough
30-4-1821 George Shaw and Hannah Palmer.
Baptisms Worksop, St Mary.
parents George & Hannah Shaw father a whitesmith abode Bridge St.
1821 Samuel
1823 John
1825 Robert
1828 Phoebe
1840 George

AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 November 15 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi larkspur..... Hmmmm yeah, its a bit weird.  George SHAW wasn't baptised until 1817!!!  That's if its my George.  Correct parents, correct place.  Also, on the 1841 census, George states he wasn't born in Nottinghamshire.  Perhaps his mother went to stay with a sister or something for the birth and they never got around to baptising him, or I'm totes on the wrong path!  Also on the 1841 census George is living doors away from two of his supposed brothers, so good chance.  He is dead by the 1851 census so no luck there!

Arghhhhhh, Steven.

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 April 16 04:21 BST (UK) »
Hi larkspur

Are you saying you are descended from George Shaw and Hannah Palmer?

bitzar.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 April 16 10:35 BST (UK) »
I'm descended from George SHAW c1798 - 1848 and Hannah PALMER 1800 - .  George is the s/of William & Mary.

No I was quoting the above message from you,  I usually put quotation marks and in this instance I did not  ::)
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 April 16 10:49 BST (UK) »
I thought so... just checking.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 April 16 10:53 BST (UK) »
"Also on the 1841 census George is living doors away from two of his supposed brothers, so good chance."

My paternal surname is quite rare, and on the 1841 census I have an ancestor living between two families with the same surname. One of them is very distantly connected, about 4 generations back! I thought they were 2 brothers and father when I first found it. Take nothing for granted, as you say yours does say he was born out of county.