Author Topic: A pedantic point, or is it semantics?  (Read 5475 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: A pedantic point, or is it semantics?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 19 November 15 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Malky,  and from Macquarie Dictionary   :)  :)  :)

Macquarie Dictionary
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macquarie_Dictionary

"Usage: Many compounds start out linked by a hyphen but as the compound form becomes more established there is a tendency for the hyphen to disappear. ...............   In current Australian writing there is considerable variation in the occurrence of the hyphen and majority usage does not reflect clear and consistent principles."

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 19 November 15 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Then your use would be in order, due to your card carrying status.

Shouldn't that be card-carrying, officer? :P

Shouldn't that be 'owing to' ???
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 19 November 15 19:15 GMT (UK) »

Due to must be preceded by a participle of the verb to be (and so cannot begin a sentence). Owing to is an adjective modifier, so, owing to the heat, the rain, the high tide.....

That is what I was taught at school but that was an impossibly long time ago. Usage may have blurred the distinction as it seems to have done to "fewer" and "less" - a hackle-raiser for me but a matter of indifference to most.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 19 November 15 19:48 GMT (UK) »

Due to must be preceded by a participle of the verb to be (and so cannot begin a sentence). Owing to is an adjective modifier, so, owing to the heat, the rain, the high tide.....

That is what I was taught at school but that was an impossibly long time ago. Usage may have blurred the distinction as it seems to have done to "fewer" and "less" - a hackle-raiser for me but a matter of indifference to most.

Is there a pun intended, Hackstaple?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 19 November 15 20:52 GMT (UK) »

Is there a pun intended, Hackstaple?

Hacksidental
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 19 November 15 21:37 GMT (UK) »
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 19 November 15 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Due to must be preceded by a participle of the verb to be (and so cannot begin a sentence). ...... but a matter of indifference to most.

Even betterer well writ    :)  :P  :P  ::)  ::)

Cheers,  JM

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 20 November 15 08:24 GMT (UK) »
I can't take any more of this pun-ishment. Hyphen intended, before anyone asks.  ::)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.