Author Topic: Convict records for those transported to Australia  (Read 8847 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Convict records for those transported to Australia
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello ScobieDrom, majm, iluleah & davidft

Thank you so much for the extra information....Rootschatters just keep on giving!  At long last some leads and some ideas!

Thanks so much.

Westy

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Do you know the names and ages of the wife and children he left behind and have you looked for them on the 1841 census
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello davidft

I don't know the ages nor names of his wife and children.  This is one of the reasons I was hoping to find some additional records related to his conviction that may have given me a clue.  As you can imagine with a name like James Taylor in a large place like Manchester is was like looking for a needed in a haystack without any knowledge as to who might be the correct person.

Thanks to ScobieDrom I now have a location/address so just maybe I will be able to locate his family in the 1841 census.

Westy

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 22:46 GMT (UK) »
 :)  I should explain that Tasmania still has its own Supreme Court, as does each of the five other former British Colonies that federated into one british colony back in 1901.  So the former colonies became states, and those six states became the Commonwealth of Australia.  The final legal separation between those former colonies did not occur until the 1980s, but English law had had no authority even in the 1820s unless it had specifically nominated the respective colony /colonies/ territories etc. 

Sorry for the off-topic diversion.

Great idea re 1841 searchings  .... Good Luck, hope you find the English family.  Remember if she re-married, she would likely be noted on that marriage as a widow.  You may also find that the word 'widow' had a broader meaning until after Queen Victoria's Prince Albert died.   I am fairly sure that the clergy (at least in NSW and VDL) used the word 'widow' to indicate a female person without a husband supporting her, but with children that she was supporting.   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Ah OK

Yes then as you are doing looking at the newspapers and archives may come up trumps. If they don't work then the local workhouses close to where he lived might be worth a shot too.

BTW if you don't know there names or ages how do you know he was married and had a son and daughter if you don't mind me asking ?
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Westy,  what ship of arrival for James please ....  As his convict records are online, free to search  :)

https://linctas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/

OOPS,  He was sent to New South Wales, on the Parkfield.   :)  :)  :)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 23:03 GMT (UK) »
From Wikipedia:

Convict Ships Parkfield arr New South Wales 1 September 1839 from Sheerness

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 23:11 GMT (UK) »

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 23:14 GMT (UK) »
NSW Convict Indents
39-914
James TAYLOR, aged 28, Read, Protestant, Married, 1 male child and 1 female child, Native of Manchester, Baker, burglary, Lancaster Quarter Session, 25 Feb 1839, Ten Years, none (no previous convictions), 5 ft 6 ½ “,  Dark sallow and pockpitted complexion,  Brown hair, Grey eyes, Lost a front tooth left side of upper jaw, JMI and woman on lower right arm, anchor, JHB on lower left arm, mark of a boil below inside of left knee.

Cheers,  JM