Author Topic: Samuel Seaton b1799 St Mary's Stilton son of Francis Seaton and Sarah  (Read 4487 times)

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Seaton b1799 St Mary's Stilton son of Francis Seaton and Sarah
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 November 15 10:31 GMT (UK) »
The Francis in 1795 is probably the son of Francis Seaton and Sarah Agutter who were married in Huntingdon in 1783. They had at least four children prior to Francis.

I looked at some copies of transcriptions from the Stilton register regarding my own relatives and one includes a Francis, son of Francis and Sarah, baptised privately on 22nd January 1803 to Francis and Sarah. Richard cole, also privately, on 13th December 1804.

One marriage, on 20th November 1797:-
SEATON
CROPLEY
Richard Seaton (X) bac otp
Mary, spin of Lambeth (St Mary), Surrey by Banns
Wit: Samuel SEATON, Wm ODAM

There is more on Richard and Mary in "The Seaton Lineage", which also states:
"In Stilton there was the family of Francis Seaton 1774 – 1841 and Sarah Cole 1775 – 1862 a farmer who owned a considerable amount of land but was not born in Stilton, although born in Huntingdonshire, who on his death rather than leave his land to his son Richard Cole, he left it to his sons in law from Lincs."

David

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 November 15 09:54 GMT (UK) »
I agree David.

The marriage entry between Francis Seaton and Sarah Cole doesn't show marital status, merely that Francis was of the parish of Stilton, and Sarah was otp.

The Francis Seaton who lived in Peterborough was 35 in 1841 ie 35-39 so born 1801 - 1806, and 48 in 1851, and in a court case was said to be 38 on 20 Oct 1841, all pointing to him being the one baptised on 22 Jan 1803, not the one baptised in 1795.  Everything points to there being two separate Francis Seatons.

The Francis Seaton who was buried in Stilton in 1841 was said to be 67, too young to have been the Francis who married Sarah Agutter in 1783.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Jacquelinemercer1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 November 15 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for continuing on this one.  I have the marriage bann from Huntingdonshire Records office - they were married by licence if that means/makes any difference (!). Francis is stated as from Stilton.  I have the will of Francis Seaton and those to whom he has left his monies I have also researched - one -Richard Allen, marries the daughter of Francis and Sarah Seaton - Elizabeth - but he is also the brother to my 3rd Gt Grandmother - Maria Allen b1806 - who marries Frederick Seaton (son of Francis and Sarah Seaton).  I have also spoken/messaged the person who wrote the Seaton lineage and it seems that there is no connection to the Francis Seaton from Huntingdonshire whatsoever - these Seatons appear to originate from Warminster.  The parentage of Francis is also questionable - suggestions have been made that there is a connection somehow to the Markley family from Stilton but I've not found it - yet!! Wish I lived near to Huntingdon to search for some clues!
Thank you again for continuing - it is appreciated.

I do have a date of baptism/birth but am not sure where it has come from - I am in touch with another Seaton researcher who also has it (and I think from whence it came) and have asked him to let me know the source.  He is a descendent of Richard Cole Seaton.  Just recently as well a previous poster on this forum on the Seaton family and I have had a DNA match - she is also descended from Francis and Sarah Seaton via their daughter Eliza Seaton and her daughter Sarah Ann - so if it had not been for this forum I would not have had a 'conversation' and known the link.  So thankyou again!
Jackie

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 November 15 13:48 GMT (UK) »
....suggestions have been made that there is a connection somehow to the Markley family from Stilton but I've not found it - yet!!

Was there a Markley family in Stilton? There are only two Markley marriages in Hunts 1701-1837, neither of which was in Stilton, and the first was only in 1820.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 November 15 13:59 GMT (UK) »
I am not 100% sure - it is either Markley or Muckley - I think there is a person called Richard and a female named Hannah or Harriet (doing this from memory - haven't gone back in to look).  I think that the Richard may at times have gone by the name of Seaton.  I will go back to my notes and try to get the Geist of it again.

Thank you

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 November 15 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Just had a quick look and from what I can see the Markley family is connected to the Richard Seaton and Mary Cropley mentioned in the previous comment, so perhaps the suggestion of a connection is not founded as Richard Seaton who marries Mary Cropley is the son of William Seaton and Hannah King from Warminster. 

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 10:14 GMT (UK) »
These links might be of interest - Francis Seaton 1803 of Stilton. He was from Holbeach. Lincolnshire, when he married. Probably just a coincidence but my relatives in Stilton had roots in Holbeach.

Francis and Mary Meeds:
http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=570719&iid=298154

Charlotte Seaton
http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=584973&iid=568022

William Meeds Seaton:
http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=718398&iid=289921

In 1881, the eldest son, (John) Thomas Seaton, was living in Jauncey's Yard, Peterborough, next door but two to some of my Ward relatives. John was a greengrocer, as was his widowed mother in 1861.

David

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi David, thank you for your help.  How do I see/buy the images - when I go to the website there is nothing there.  I am registered with Lincstothepast as well!  I'm not technically minded!!

Again, thank you for continuing looking.

Also, how do I turn on notifications as I have no idea you have replied etc.!

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 20:22 GMT (UK) »
When you type a reply click on Attachments and other options at the bottom. It's in there.