Author Topic: Dickson ROBB d. 22 March 1847 Forfar  (Read 709 times)

Offline djocam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dickson ROBB d. 22 March 1847 Forfar
« on: Thursday 19 November 15 22:43 GMT (UK) »
My husbands 4 x Gt Grandfather Dickson ROBB who died in 1847 at Forfar, Angus, appears in a register in 1847 as 1 of 19 deaths reported in what looks like a separate register.  I wonder if anyone has any insight as to what was going on for his death to registered this way?  I am having much difficulties reading the words so any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dickson ROBB d. 22 March 1847 Forfar
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 November 15 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Before statutory registration of deaths started in 1855, many parishes made little attempt to record deaths or burials. Some did it in detail, others didn't do it at all. Many have patchy records with gaps. Many records are lost. This is probably one of those that someone started, but gave up keeping.

As the page headings state, what is recorded are the entry number in the register, name, age, date of death, reported cause of death (disease), location of burial.

24   Dickson Robb   67 Age    22    of Old Age    Dickson Robb ground in which the
                                                                      boed (= body) was lead (= laid) at South sed     
                                                                      (= side) of Williams Stone

i.e. Dickson Robb had his own burial lair which did not already have a gravestone on it. Therefore the way it has been described is in relation to an existing gravestone belonging to a family called Williams.

Offline djocam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dickson ROBB d. 22 March 1847 Forfar
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 November 15 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Before statutory registration of deaths started in 1855, many parishes made little attempt to record deaths or burials. Some did it in detail, others didn't do it at all. Many have patchy records with gaps. Many records are lost. This is probably one of those that someone started, but gave up keeping.

As the page headings state, what is recorded are the entry number in the register, name, age, date of death, reported cause of death (disease), location of burial.

24   Dickson Robb   67 Age    22    of Old Age    Dickson Robb ground in which the
                                                                      boed (= body) was lead (= laid) at South sed     
                                                                      (= side) of Williams Stone

i.e. Dickson Robb had his own burial lair which did not already have a gravestone on it. Therefore the way it has been described is in relation to an existing gravestone belonging to a family called Williams.

Thankyou for making sense of it, much appreciated   :)