Author Topic: Hilson family Stonehouse Plymouth  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Julie Curnick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hilson family Stonehouse Plymouth
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 02:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish
hey you two are amazing have to sit down and read all of this when I have a moment.

thank you

Offline Julie Curnick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 28 March 16 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone Happy Easter!
Thank you for the leads you have given me late last year they did bare fruit and solved part of the mystery.
I am still trying to sort out George Hilson's parents.  The Mary Hilson/Parsons/Sawyer (1841 Census) I think is Georges mother as she was 18 when he was born so if this is the case then who was his father?
The only Hilson Marriage I have been able to find (that fits) is Mary Damerel marrying a John Hillson on 29/04/1793 at Shaugh Prior
which would fit in with Georges birth in 1974.
What happened to John was he in the Plymouth Militia did he get killed in the Napoleonic/French conflict??  Did the same thing happen to James Parsons?  I am still to look this up and will try today. Did this Mary have 3 husbands?
I hope you can shed some light on this little puzzle as you have done on the last query.
Regards
Julie

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 28 March 16 12:01 BST (UK) »
Plymouth St Andrew marriages:
18 Aug 1838 Walter SAWYER, widower, father also Walter SAWYER; married Mary PARSONS, widow, father John HILSON (or HELSON can't decide). Witnesses: Sophia PARSONS and James BOULTER.
Holbeton marriages:
9 Nov 1798 James PARSONS, sojourner in this parish, married Mary HILSON, spinster of this parish.
Newton Ferrers baptisms:
29 Nov 1777 Mary HILSDON dau of John & Agnes of Revelstoke.
19 Nov 1775 Jenny HILSON dau of John & Agnes (so spelled both ways)
27 Jul 1783 Joanna HILSON dau of John & Egnes of Revelstoke
Revelstoke baptisms:
4 Nov 1785 Richard HELSON son of John & Agnes (This Richard married Catherine HEYDON in 1815 at Stoke Damerel. A witness at the marriage of George HILSON & Nancy STOYLE in 1822 was Cathrine HILLSON)
Revelstoke burials:
8 Mar 1844 Agnes HILSON aged 92 of Noss. (She is shown in the 1841 census as Agnes HIBSON living with Andrew WALKE and his wife Joannah. An Andrew WALK married a Joanna HILSON at Stoke Damerel 12 Jan 1810; wit: Rich & Jane HILSON)
So I think Mary only had 2 husbands. She was born a HILSON, married James PARSONS and then WALTER SAWYER.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Julie Curnick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 04:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks DOB7
that is most helpful in sorting Mary out.
But I still can't find Georges Birth/baptism or parents. Surely Mary cannot be his mother? I think she is his Aunt.  So I will now look at these new suggestions.  Perhaps she is his mother and he was born the wrong side of the blanket!

thank you again I appreciate your help and any other suggestions you would like to make.

Regards

Julie

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 07:27 BST (UK) »
George HILSDEN was baptised at Revelstoke 12 Apr 1793 son of John & Agnes. Mary was his older sister. In the 1851 census, Sophia PARSONS aged 34 is head of family, so, Mary is her mother and John HELSEN is the nephew of Sophia and great-nephew of Mary.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Julie Curnick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 10:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that I will check all this out

Cheers
Julie

Offline Julie Curnick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 01 May 16 11:15 BST (UK) »
Well you guys are just amazing in helping find the connections for this family.
since we last chatted.  I have found John and Agnes Hilson/Hellson's marriage and I think John's mother and father.

I have searched three sources and come up with Thomas Hilson/Hellson and Mary Soper married 10 Nov 1740 at Lifton.
This seems to be a little outside of where we originally started searching and I wonder if there is another Thomas & Mary nearer to Plymouth?
Can you  or anyone in the Devon group give me some direction as to where else to look?
With much thanks
Kindest regards
Julie

Offline Julie Curnick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 01 May 16 11:16 BST (UK) »
PS
My aunt who is 91 years old has been researching out family trees for the last 30+ years. She was just so pleased that we found George!  :D

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 01 May 16 14:31 BST (UK) »
I am very happy for you both :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)