Author Topic: Improved Ancestry - Comments  (Read 1728 times)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Improved Ancestry - Comments
« on: Monday 23 November 15 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chatters

The new profile pages on Ancestry Trees do not have any note, icon or other symbol to denote that a comment has been left about that particular person. The only way to leave a comment or discover if a previous comment has been left is to click on the tools icon which hides the comments from the profile view. Previously there was a message right on the profile page that stated if and how many comments had been left.

It seems to me that newcomers to Ancestry (and even old hands) may miss helpful information or information that could alert them to an error in a particular tree.

I know the tree owner gets an alert about a comment left but others looking at the trees were also able to see the comments. This seems a valuable feature that has disappeared. Or am I missing something?

Venelow
Canada

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Ancestry - Comments
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Venelow

I agree with you.  You could see everything at a glance on the old site now it's all hidden.
I've left a lot of comments over the years, but it doesn't seem worth it now if no one will see it.

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Realizing that the post I've found is 5 years old, still it was all that came up in my search "Comments on Ancestry".

Ancestry sent me an email today that someone has left a comment on my tree, but there doesn't seem to be a way for me to FIND the comment!  Anyone know how this is done?  The family they have left the comment on is actually no longer even in my tree!  It was an error on my part, and I took them all out. So that's a different question - how did they comment on that family?

I will message the person who left the comment, and respond back here with any other information.  But in the meantime, if anyone has the answer(s) please let me know?

thanks

Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 16:30 GMT (UK) »
First of all, did you actually delete the person in your tree, or simply "cut" their relationship with your tree?
Unless you actually delete the person, they are still floating around in your tree.

Perhaps more likely, even if you deleted the person, any media you may have had related to them is probably still in your media gallery (just not actually linked to a person in your actual tree). If someone else comments on that media item, it will show as a comment on your tree - find the said media item in your gallery and you should also find the comment.
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 17:34 GMT (UK) »
First of all, did you actually delete the person in your tree, or simply "cut" their relationship with your tree?
Unless you actually delete the person, they are still floating around in your tree.

Thanks for your reply.  I did a search on the name of the person he commented on, and there are none in my tree, so they are deleted.  However, perhaps a photo/media item is still in my gallery!  I hadn't thought of that, so I will go and check to see.

Much appreciated!

Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps more likely, even if you deleted the person, any media you may have had related to them is probably still in your media gallery (just not actually linked to a person in your actual tree). If someone else comments on that media item, it will show as a comment on your tree - find the said media item in your gallery and you should also find the comment.

To close out my original question - the media item (Story) was what he had commented on, so thanks Albufera32!  I found the story and simply removed it, as it was no longer attached to anyone. 

Cheers
Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801