Author Topic: Isle of Guernsey Family  (Read 884 times)

Offline Tiggypoo55

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isle of Guernsey Family
« on: Tuesday 24 November 15 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello there
I am looking for information on my Great grandfather who came from Guernsey. His name was John Joseph Jarrett (not sure if Joseph is correct), born St Peter Port in 1842. As far as I know his father was also John. Mothers name unknown.  He also had a brother (name unknown). He and his brother either joined the navy or Merchant Marine (English or French) and ended up in Adelaide Australia late 1850's or early 1860's. I know he died in Coonamble Australia in 1897.
I know this is not much to go on and not much chance of finding any information. Some people have suggested the surname could have been Jerrette but that is another straw to clutch.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isle of Guernsey Family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

Can I suggest you have a look at Donkipedia?
Where there is information about Guernsey.

http://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/Donkipedia

Jarrett does not come up in a list of Guernsey surnames?

It is entirely possible that his father was military, and was stationed in Guernsey?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Isle of Guernsey Family
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Deleted
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)